Organic Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering do you think 1 semester of organic lab is enough or do most med schools require both semesters? What if i get an A/A- the first semester and then do it p/f the 2nd semester? Do most med schools require orgo lab, could you list the ones that dont? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i was in a similar situation.....
i had a semester of ochem and lab...then transferred to a quarter system school where the last part of ochem had no lab component.....

i checked with schools on that requirement....and yes....you definitely need the second SEMESTER of lab with a grade. (not pass/fail).

this even holds true for the reputable carribean schools. So I went back to a j.c. to complete the last semester of ochem lab.

the worst thing you can do is get accepted somewhere and then find out you are deficient in a requirement!

Maybe I am not understanding your situation, but one semester of organic lab should be plenty for any med school. I went to a school on the quarter system and only had to take one quarter of a lab. Was your regular organic lecture and lab combined? That might be a different case. At my school the lecture and lab were separate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools require two semesters of organic chemistry AND two semesters of organic lab. I'm sure there are schools out there that don't, and you can check the MSAR to find them.

Originally posted by Samoa
Most schools require two semesters of organic chemistry AND two semesters of organic lab. I'm sure there are schools out there that don't, and you can check the MSAR to find them.

i agree with samoa, and the schools that dont require 2 semester of lab are far and few............why limit yourself in the schools you can apply to..........

nero

at my school the premed advisors tell us one semester of lab will suffice... but we also have 9 hours of lab a week (4 hrs one day, 4 hrs another day, 1 hr lecture)-- i assume for 2 semester folks its split more evenly timewise

What about schools that combine their labs into one semester?.. my school has no lab for its first semester but the lab for 2nd semester is 2 hours credit.

I think there are two different situations going on here. I took two quarters of orgo lab at a community college but didn't take the third quarter (yes there were three quarters total). However, at the university that I transfered to, there was one quarter of orgo lab. The three quarters of orgo at the community college transferred as 1 quarter of university orgo lab. The reason is because of the credit hours. Each quarter of orgo lab at the community college was 1 credit hour (4 hours of lab each week) for a total of 3 credit hours for the entire year. At the university I later attended, the orgo lab was three credit hours for one quarter and it consisted of 8 hours of lab each week. The university also offered a second quarter called integrated lab that could be taken but was not considered an orgo lab.

Originally posted by lalalala
at my school the premed advisors tell us one semester of lab will suffice... but we also have 9 hours of lab a week (4 hrs one day, 4 hrs another day, 1 hr lecture)-- i assume for 2 semester folks its split more evenly timewise

ouch!!

Originally posted by lalalala

Damm, tha sucks for real. YUck...WE have a four hour lab per week, and lecture every MWF for an hour.

I beleive that both sections of lab and lecture are required to be taken with a grade for med school requirments! They want a full year.

Most medical schools require both, but as many have said, the MSAR is the best place to look.

Just to be safe though, I would take both.

I think it depends on credit hours. I know I only have one semester of lab, as do most people at my school. It goes through fine. You should check the credits required for Ochem lab, i'm pretty sure most schools don't require more than one semester, md/phd may be different.

Originally posted by siempre595
You should check the credits required for Ochem lab, i'm pretty sure most schools don't require more than one semester, md/phd may be different.

Most schools I'm pretty sure require two. Who requires only one?

As has been said numerous times in this thread, almost all schools require 2. And they should be taken for a grade, because they want your BCPM GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm at WashU undergrad, and the pre-med program here is one semester ochem lab, two semesters lecture. As far as I know this has gotten multiple graduates into great schools. I'm not speaking for every single MD program, but I know very few people here who take more than the one semester, and yet, they seem to get in.....

I took organic lecture at yale a long time ago - I graduated 9 years ago.
I was a hesitant premed then :) and took only one semester of lab.
I've had to do post-bac courses since then but was planning to take only
one semester of lab since I had the one from before. But since it was so
long ago I don't meet the prereq requirements for second semester lab.
So I thought I only had to take the first semester lab again but now
I find out the school that I'm doing the post-bac courses at says I took orgo
lecture too long ago also. I might have to take that over now too! How
much does that suck:( ?

Anyway, from my research, all schools I'm planning to apply to require two semesters of orgo lab. If not, I wouldn't have a problem.

I'm surprised they are making you retake your orgo classes. I called our state school OSHU several years ago and asked about the classes that I would be required to retake. THEY DIDN'T care when I had taken them as long as I performed well on the MCAT. They only cared if I had taken them at all. (p.s. I was 10+ years out of school at the time) The woman they had me talk to was the one who goes through the transcripts and decides if the classes fulfill the requirements of the school.

Yep! I'm from Oregon and at OSU we call it orgo. In fact, we called it orgo at CCC too! So where are you from?

Originally posted by indo
If you're from oregon then why do you call it orgo? I've never heard anyone over here call it orgo... sounds too much like something people with that hard minnesoooota accent say.

Lots of people from all over the place call it orgo. What does being from Oregon have anything to do with it? :)

this is absolutely crappy!
I was told by my advisor that I'll need only one Orgo Lab. So I took one. Does this mean I am gonna have to take it over also?????? @Q##@#!!!!!!! I HATED the first orgo lab. I don't wanna do another one. :(

and I had to do that thing too--4 hours of lab 2 days a week, plus one hour lectures.

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
and I had to do that thing too--4 hours of lab 2 days a week, plus one hour lectures.

It seems like it depends on how many credits it is. 4 hours twice a week sounds like the equivalent of two semesters at my school.

tweetie

i am almost 100% sure that if you had that 9 hour lab in one semester you will not have to take another lab. like i said, it's the same at my school, and i know tons of people here that just took one semester and got into amazing schools. so don't worry, i think you will be fine.

I just checked and it wasn't 4 hour of lab; it was 3.

I had it on Tuesdays and Thursdays each for 3 hours. And then one extra hour for Lab Lecture time. Does that still count as two semesters?

yes tweetie that still counts for two semester creidts.
at my school too we have organic lab every tuesday/thursday or mon/wed for 3 hors each day and its a two credit course, so.....

i think people shouldnt confuse 2 credits with 2 classes, u need two organic chemistry classes, they are usaully 3-creidt classes, mine was 4 credit, go figure :rolleyes:

but as far as i know most if not all schools require one semester of lab, either a 2-credit lab in one semester or 2 one-credit classes depending on how ur school system is,k?

::sigh::: Gotta love you, ImmediateSpring!! You just made my evening. :love:

I was freaking out...between marriage plans/job/volunteering and leaving the country in less than two months...I have zero time. What would I have done without SDN....I shudder to think.

PS: Spring, just out of curiosity, where did you hear that it's okay? Most people on SDN I've been speaking to say it's two quarters of LAB, PLUS one year of Orgo courses.

if ur school is in a quarter system , then u might require two classes, i am not familiar with the quarter system.

u need one year of organic classes whether quarter system or otherwise, this is in addition to one year of introductory chemistry. for each introductory chemistry class, there is a lab, so u need 2 one-credit introductory chemistry lab classes.

people might confuse that with the organic chemistry lab requirement, as far as i know, unless u are a chemistry major, then u only need to take one organic chemistry lab, and it has to be a two credit class. (meets twice each week for 3 hrs for approximately 11 or 13 weeks).
for most medical school this is the requirement, some might require less but i really dont think or know of any that require more.

tweetie, if ur organic lab met for 11-13 weeks, then u definitely have ur 2 credit- organic lab requiremnt, u could always check the individual school's website, and on the aamc website, it just says two years of chemistry

Immediatespring,
Once again, you are awesome. Thank you for all your help. I believe that my orgo class (yes, it was a 3 credit, T/TH 3 hours each day + one lecture class all for 11 weeks) should qualify. I will call the individual schools to confirm.

Thank you so much! You are really wonderful for doing this for me.