ORganic question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KrazyKid

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, I can't figure this question out--or find it anywhere on the net, and it's drivin me nuts...I have 4 cyclic molecules and am tryign to determine the ease of oxidation ---rank them in order of increasing oxidation level.
if anyone knows I'd appreciate a little help ---muchas gracias
~Sean

Members don't see this ad.

what four organic molecules?

cyclohexane, benzene, cyclohexone, 1-methoxy-cylcohex-2-ene
I know it has something to do with counting the bonding/nonbonding e's around each atom...
but I'm not sure enough

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by KrazyKid
cyclohexane, benzene, cyclohexone, 1-methoxy-cylcohex-2-ene
I know it has something to do with counting the bonding/nonbonding e's around each atom...
but I'm not sure enough

ease of oxidation- i think u have the question wrong.. or ur not ntelling us something.. um u cant relaly oxidize those things too easily, so not sure what kinda question that would be.. like if someone can tell me how the F### theyd oxidixe a freaking cyclohexane id be impressed.. that would only happen wiht likea millino degees heat and 20000 psi then maybe wed see some oxygen entering that puppy

Originally posted by KrazyKid
hi, I can't figure this question out--or find it anywhere on the net, and it's drivin me nuts...I have 4 cyclic molecules and am tryign to determine the ease of oxidation ---rank them in order of increasing oxidation level.
if anyone knows I'd appreciate a little help ---muchas gracias
~Sean

i guess i answered my own questions. if u want rank here
easiest 1- methoxy ring cap
2. benzene
3.. the ketone
4. cyclohexane

sorry i forgot the exactr names

This post reminded me of how much I hate organic chemistry!!

In order of increasing oxidation level

Benzene<cyclohexane<1-methoxy-cyclo-2-ene<cyclohexanone

Here you go buddy. Benzene is the most stable and thus least reactive---hard to oxidize. Next cyclohexane is also a very stable ring--not very reactive. Cyclohexene has a double bond so more prone to oxidation or any reaction because of a greater bond angle strain. Cyclohexane, as you probably know, has a carbonyl group. So, it can the most easily oxidized in the group.