This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

doctor.ee

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have experience organizing a dental service trip overseas outside of the organizations already established? I am doing an independent study (pre-dent student) about establishing a charitable foundation component of a private practice where one goes to an underserved area for a week or so to set up a clinic twice a year and serve others. Do you have any experience with this type of work? All I can really find by doing a google search is volunteering with other larger organizations. What kind of certifications/licensure do you need from the country you are visiting?
 
Does anyone have experience organizing a dental service trip overseas outside of the organizations already established? I am doing an independent study (pre-dent student) about establishing a charitable foundation component of a private practice where one goes to an underserved area for a week or so to set up a clinic twice a year and serve others. Do you have any experience with this type of work? All I can really find by doing a google search is volunteering with other larger organizations. What kind of certifications/licensure do you need from the country you are visiting?
IMO I would not do this. Many ADCOMS have a problem with overseas volunteer dental work. There are lots of ethical boundary questions involved, and it may end up hurting you more than helping. I would try to find an underserved area domestically and volunteer here.
 
Hello there! That was really an amazing work you are doing. I didn't have any idea about volunteering overseas. But my sister was participated in a mission humanitaire Afrique as a volunteer to help people living overseas.
 
Last edited: