Organizing own overseas volunteer work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor.ee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience organizing a dental service trip overseas outside of the organizations already established? I am doing an independent study (pre-dent student) about establishing a charitable foundation component of a private practice where one goes to an underserved area for a week or so to set up a clinic twice a year and serve others. Do you have any experience with this type of work? All I can really find by doing a google search is volunteering with other larger organizations. What kind of certifications/licensure do you need from the country you are visiting?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have experience organizing a dental service trip overseas outside of the organizations already established? I am doing an independent study (pre-dent student) about establishing a charitable foundation component of a private practice where one goes to an underserved area for a week or so to set up a clinic twice a year and serve others. Do you have any experience with this type of work? All I can really find by doing a google search is volunteering with other larger organizations. What kind of certifications/licensure do you need from the country you are visiting?
IMO I would not do this. Many ADCOMS have a problem with overseas volunteer dental work. There are lots of ethical boundary questions involved, and it may end up hurting you more than helping. I would try to find an underserved area domestically and volunteer here.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello there! That was really an amazing work you are doing. I didn't have any idea about volunteering overseas. But my sister was participated in a mission humanitaire Afrique as a volunteer to help people living overseas.

Last edited: