Orgo 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girija618

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I graduated from college 2 years ago and now I'm applying to med school. I did take 2 semesters of general chemistry (inorganic) and then only 1 semester of organic chemistry.

But now I'm wondering how strict the requirement of 2 organic semesters really is?

I should mention I will be taking biochemistry in the summer, would that count towards the orgo requirement at all?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

The schools that allow you to substitute Biochemistry for O-Chem II tend to say so on their website. For the most part, most schools require O-Chem II and recommend (sometimes strongly) that people take biochemistry. The good news is that pre-requisites do not have to be complete at the time of application. Some schools say that it is prudent to have almost all of the pre-requisites done.

Yes, quite a few schools will take biochemistry as either fulfilling a biology or chemistry requirement, check with the schools you are interested in applying at, because it varies. If not, you can always take it pre-matriculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
If possible, switch out Biochem for Orgo 2 this summer. I think it helps alleviates stress knowing that your pre-requisites are completely done going into your application cycle. Biochem is currently only a requirement for two schools that I can think of--SUNY Upstate and NYMC. If you're bent on taking Biochem, you could always take it after you've already been accepted or you could do what I'm doing, which is self-studying it without taking a formal class.

So I graduated from college 2 years ago and now I'm applying to med school. I did take 2 semesters of general chemistry (inorganic) and then only 1 semester of organic chemistry.

But now I'm wondering how strict the requirement of 2 organic semesters really is?

I should mention I will be taking biochemistry in the summer, would that count towards the orgo requirement at all?

Thanks!!

I wouldn't take a chance on that. I would take Organice II before I apply so that there is not question at all.

Thanks!!

The requirement for classes varies by the school, so there's no general answer. You can navigate to each site one by one and find out what their requirements are for sure, or purchase the MSAR and save yourself the navigation headache: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/

So, if the specific program you're applying to doesn't require two semesters and will allow for substitutions then you're good. On the other hand, other school's won't consider you if you don't fit their prereqs. So, it's really up to you and what schools you choose to apply to. Personally, I'd just take the second semester while it's fresh, because taking less prereqs just drops the total number of schools you can apply. Now, if you feel your a sure thing at X school go for it, personally, I'd go for a broad application instead.

It depends what school you are applying to. Most schools require Orgo 1 and 2.

Funny you should ask...I combed through my target list of 25ish schools and emailed some...her are my findings schools w/funny requirements 1st:

require biochem - Duke, Miami, JHU, Oregon, Wisconsin, Dartmouth, Michigan (Want OChem 1&2 + Biochem)

OChem1/biochem acceptable - Duke, Miami, Georgetown, Havard, Dartmouth, NYU, Mt. Sinai, JHU, Oregon, Arizona, Wisconsin, Vanderbilt (must be done by fall of application yr - will accept biochem for OChem 2)

require OChem 1&2 - UNC, Columbia, Yale, Stanford, UCSF, UCLA, Colorado, NW, Baylor, Emory (can petition), Chicago (can petition)

schools that don't care!! :) - Brown (just 1 ochem), UVA, Tulane, UPenn, USC, Cornell (can substitute OChem2 w/any advanced science class)

check with the schools you are interested in applying at, because it varies. If not, you can always take it pre-matriculation.
b8em6w