1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Orgo 2

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Ultimeaciax, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Ultimeaciax

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was wondering if it is ok to take the MCAT w/out Orgo 2? Some ppl say it's ok, and some don't...my advisor disagrees also. I really want to apply this year. I was thinking just study it on my own thru some of the MCAT books. If I wait for Orgo 2, I'll have to take a year off.

Any suggestion? Thanks

2. vascsurgeon

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know almost all medical schools require 1 year of orgo...meaning Orgo 1 and Orgo 2. So, you might luck out for orgo 2 on MCAT but you might run into some problems while applying.

-Best

3. Ultimeaciax

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I can take the course during the summer. I know most schools aren't in favor of summer courses, but I guess as long as I take it with my school or other prestigious school...it'll be fine. I just want to take the test before June, so I can start applying early. I just wanna know if it's ok for me to take it w/out having taken Orgo 2... Is the MCAT heavily emphasize Orgo 2?

4. elftown

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have a similar problem. I will not have taken General Chemistry II before the MCATs and before applying. I was told by an attending, who was still a resident last year, that it doesn't matter.

I called up one medical school admissions office and asked whether I needed the course to apply and they told me that I did not. They said that they understand most students still have another year left of undegrad. I hope this applies to most schools.

If anyone has input on this, please help out Ultimeaciax and I. :]

5. marele86

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am taking the MCAT without taking Ochem II.

Reasoning:

1. On all of the practice tests I've taken, I've been able to figure out probably 9/10 of the organic questions just by looking at it and thinking logically (electron-rich to electron-poor... acid/base... hmm..). The last 1/10? I don't KNOW it, but I can usually throw out at least one possible answer, and then I have a good shot at it.

2. Also, I have EK Organic, and there's only 1 section that I haven't gone over in my 1st semester ochem class. That should help narrow down questions even more.

3. I am much more concerned about raising my score in physical sciences. It's WORTH more. It's going to mean a ton of work and studying for me - especially since I'm writing the MCAT in March. Since I need to focus on PS while still keeping up in BS and Verbal, I want to have a minimum courseload. Ochem is just going to be a much harder 3 credits than the general bio class I'm taking instead.

Don't know how helpful any of that is to your situations, but the bottom line is probably that you don't want to bomb the ochem portion of BS, but in the end, physics, chemistry, and biology are all individually worth more points. You just have to figure out your own priorities as far as studying goes.