orgo/acidity question

SmilezAllDay

Mar 30, 2016
  1. Pre-Dental
    I'm having trouble figuring out which is more acidic.

4-fluoro butanoic acid or 2-fluoro butanoic acid?

I would think 2-fluoro butanoic acid!!

I know that halogens (e-withdrawing groups) make a compound more acidic by the inductive effect, so does the fluorine being closer to the COOH make it more acidic? ...Better stabilized the anion?

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
    Lifetime Donor
    Sponsor
    Vendor
    15+ Year Member
  • Mar 12, 2005
    New York City
    www.orgoman.com
    1. Non-Student
      I'm having trouble figuring out which is more acidic.

4-fluoro butanoic acid or 2-fluoro butanoic acid?

I would think 2-fluoro butanoic acid!!

I know that halogens (e-withdrawing groups) make a compound more acidic by the inductive effect, so does the fluorine being closer to the COOH make it more acidic? ...Better stabilized the anion?

Indeed so......I will give you a great example.....CH3COOH has a pKa of about 5........CF3COOH has a pKa of about NEGATIVE.......yes...you read that right...... -.25

The Fluorine atoms help to stabilize the anion by a significant INDUCTIVE EFFECT.

Hope this helps

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user
      This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.