[orgo] allyl stability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ippie

ippie
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
question is attached.

#1. which is the right decreasing order of allyl stability?
=> answer is B, but I think the answer is E.
the stability of allyl is... substituted ally > tertiary > allyl > secondary > primary > vinyl.
right? do you guys agree that?

#2. two isomers of the same molecular formula are closest in physical and chemical properties when jointly exhibiting
a. conformational isomer
b. enantiomeric isomer
=> the answer is a. why not b? because enantiomers have the same (not closest) physical and chemical properties?

#3. the explanation of the question #2 was as follows...
"isomers of the same molecular fomula can be arranged with increasing order of differences in physical and chemical properties outlined as follows...
conformational isomers > enantiomers > diastereomers and geometric isomers > constitutional isomers"
do you agree this? I think enantiomers have exactly the same physical and chemical properties, but conformational isomers have a slightly different physical and chemical properties.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 11.bmp
    174.9 KB · Views: 124
conformational are the closest alike because they only move about around one bond. Conformational is where you have the anti, gauche,eclipsed forms. If you have a kaplan book,take a look at...i think it's chapter 2. it goes through all the isomers and their properties

So resonance is the most important thing in ochem.
So when you have conjugation then it 99.99% of the time the most stable structure.
The double bond in the allylic position makes the radical much more stable.
Take 1 electron from then double bond and make a new bond with the radical on the left.
That would make a new double bond 1 carbon left of the original and the radical would now be on the left side.
Answer: Resonance always dominates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Conformation also includes like boat and chair cyclohexane. Even if the molecule is in boat/chair, it is still named the same and is essentially the same molecule because it is not connected differently, just rotated bonds.

tertiary allyl is the most stable, but primary allyl is less stable than tertiary carbocation. It's from McMurry Orgo book. Does anybody agree?

The book said a tertiary is more stable than an allylic?

I would think resonance would be more dominating than inductive effects or hyperconjugation if you just think about it, right?