orgo help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dfymarine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
an aniline reacts with an acyl chloride on the roadmap 2

to my understanding, I remember that an Nh2 is an electron-donating group that activates the benzene ring, which makes it more basic. So my answer is to add the acyl chloride to the Ortho/para position on the benzene ring.

but! it adds to the Nh2 group on the benzene ring, whyyyy?

Members don't see this ad.

an aniline reacts with an acyl chloride on the roadmap 2

to my understanding, I remember that an Nh2 is an electron-donating group that activates the benzene ring, which makes it more basic. So my answer is to add the acyl chloride to the Ortho/para position on the benzene ring.

but! it adds to the Nh2 group on the benzene ring, whyyyy?

My understanding:
You wouldn't add the acyl chloride Ortho/para to the ring because for that you need AlCl3 to jump start it since I think it requires the formation of a carbocation. In this rxn, the nitrogen onthe aniline is nucleophilic and will attack the electrophilic carbon of the acyl chloride pushing the pi bond electrons to the oxygen - once this happens do a lone pair push back to the carbon and chlorine leaves because it's the a good leaving group.

My understanding:
You wouldn't add the acyl chloride Ortho/para to the ring because for that you need AlCl3 to jump start it since I think it requires the formation of a carbocation. In this rxn, the nitrogen onthe aniline is nucleophilic and will attack the electrophilic carbon of the acyl chloride pushing the pi bond electrons to the oxygen - once this happens do a lone pair push back to the carbon and chlorine leaves because it's the a good leaving group.

oh! it makes sense now! thanks!

but, if you jump start the acy chloride into a carbocation by using a lewis acid, wouldn't the Nh2 still want to attack the acyl chloride as a nucleophile?

My understanding:
Yup. If the arrow had FeCL3 or ALCL3 underneath it than it would have occured the way you are thinking OP.