Orgo II question?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by PinkZinfandel, 05.12.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. PinkZinfandel

PinkZinfandel 5+ Year Member

Hi,

So I know the mechanisms well for SN1/SN2/E1/E1. I wondering for all the other reactions you cover in Orgo II like Alkenes, Carbonyls, Alcohols, Amides, etc.....Do you need to know all the mechanisms? Or can you just memorize the reactions and do well?

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Ari Rezaei

Ari Rezaei Senior Member Lifetime Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    This is a question that comes up often, and the answer is that for the most part no, you don't need to know the mechanism beyond SN1/SN2/E1/E2. However, I strongly encourage you to understand orgo by the mechanisms. If you understand the mechanism, orgo will make a lot more sense, and you're much less likely to get tricked.

Also, questions on the DAT may ask for intermediates of reactions in alkenes or carbonyls. You don't have to know complex mechanisms like ozonolysis and OsO4, but know the mechanisms behind alkenes, alkynes, EAS, radicals, and to a smaller degree how alcohols/carbonyls/amides react with other molecules.

About the ads