Orientation...Round Two

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

URHere

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, this past week marked my official transition into my PhD years - and yet another round of orientation. After sitting through so many redundant sessions on navigating the city, how to choose a research rotation, and techniques for balancing stress and life, I had to wonder: is my school the only one that requires MD/PhD students to listen to this stuff for a second time?

Out of curiosity, how do other schools handle the PhD orientation situation for MD/PhD students? Are they exempt from the week, or at least able to pick and choose relevant events? In all honesty, I'm hoping that I can change the requirements here, but the odds of that are better if I can cite other schools as examples.

Members don't see this ad.

We have a 1.5 hr orientation session. Most topics you mentioned in the OP are covered in a new student handbook sent out as a pdf.

In med school we did have a week-long orientation, with touchy-feely stuff, professionalism, etc., etc. But in grad school, after that 1.5 hrs, you are on your own.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No orientation here.

Not 100% because I'm not there yet but I don't think we really have anything. Probably just an e-mail from the program director or maybe an MD/PhD specific meeting, but I'm pretty sure we definitely don't do something with the 1st year grad students.

You can always skip the events. I mean, what are they going to do to you anyway?

Although, it might be nice to meet the grad students you're going to spend the most time with. You may make some friends.

On the plus side, sounds like they are really nurturing.