Two letters from the same lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mynameistoolong

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some of you might remember me from last year... I'm reapplying next week!

I'm contemplating whether I should get two letters from the same lab. I've asked my PI who said he will be happy to write a strong letter, but I don't work with him directly. On a day-to-day basis, I work with another faculty Instructor (he's an MD, and I've shadowed him) who's in my PI's lab. Since basically the only scientific interaction I have with my PI is when I present during lab meeting, I expect his letter to be while strong, somewhat generic. On the other hand, my mentor (as far as I can tell) thinks very positively of me, and would be able to write a very strong letter with specific details about me.

I'm wondering if it would be overkill to get a letter from my direct mentor? I found that this has been asked in pre-allo before, but the conclusion was somewhat mixed.

Edit: this extra letter would be my 7th letter. I already have 2 science, 1 non-science, and 3 PI letters. I had one employer letter from my previous application, but I plan to drop it.
 
I wouldn't get two letters. You have enough.

"I've asked my PI who said he will be happy to write a strong letter." I don't see the problem here. You could potentially get both faculty to collaborate on a letter somehow, but you're going to look pretty neurotic in the process. I wouldn't damage that relationship.