Orientation was um... ZzZzZzZz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coodoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, we had our first day of orientation at UTH today, and to say the least, it was a snooze. Besides meeting the students and the faculty, I really don't understand why in the world it takes three whole days to prepare for classes.

:sleepy:

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: Welcome to dental school where everything is three times longer and more complicated than it needs to be. Look at it this way, at least you didn't have to be there at some ungodly hour, say 8am.

Members don't see this ad :)
DDSSlave said:
:laugh: Welcome to dental school where everything is three times longer and more complicated than it needs to be. Look at it this way, at least you didn't have to be there at some ungodly hour, say 8am.
How ironic you say that because they made us attend the second day of orientation today at 8 AM!!! They wanted us to get use to the time I guess. I might not go tomorrow. Today we were just introduced to some army brats and the dental loupe sellers. Hey slave, what pair of loupes, from what company I should say, do you recommend? I am thinking of Surgitel

I'm just a lowly DS1 who hasn't even been to orientation yet, but nearly all the dentists (and lab techs, and dental instrument repair guys..) I've observed use "Designs for Vision"... it's all the rage.

I'd suggest going tomorrow. In the afternoon, your mentor will organize your $3500 worth of crap (materials, instruments etc) for you. That alone is the only worthwhile o-week activity. I bought Orascoptic and am happy with them. Surgitel is equally good. Don't feel too rushed. You don't really need them until operative in the spring. Are you taking gross this semester or next? Have fun Monday... it's like going back to high school 8am - 5pm.

janygb143 said:
I'm just a lowly DS1 who hasn't even been to orientation yet, but nearly all the dentists (and lab techs, and dental instrument repair guys..) I've observed use "Designs for Vision"... it's all the rage.

A friend's Designs for Vision loupes had the eyepiece magnification part (whatever you call it) fall out. So, I'm slightly less impressed with that Co. Maybe just a fluke.

DDSSlave said:
I'd suggest going tomorrow. In the afternoon, your mentor will organize your $3500 worth of crap (materials, instruments etc) for you. That alone is the only worthwhile o-week activity. I bought Orascoptic and am happy with them. Surgitel is equally good. Don't feel too rushed. You don't really need them until operative in the spring. Are you taking gross this semester or next? Have fun Monday... it's like going back to high school 8am - 5pm.

Appreciate the advice slave. Hopefully I'll see you on campus soon enough. Gross is in the Spring man (thank god). I talked to a few second year students about histo, books, etc...and they all gave the same advice as you did, so thanks in advance.

8-5PM :( <--hence the reason I dreaded high school. Only good thing is I found a ride to and from school :D

No screwy parking for me

For loupes: get the kind that feel best on your head and work the best for you. Don't listen to the random opinions of anonymous internet posters when it comes to something you'll be using to better your career.

Something to think about - Designs for Vision has excellent customer service and an incredible guarantee. My little niece and nephew climbed up in my closet, got them out and tore the frame into several pieces. I mailed the remnants to the company along with a note explaining what had happened. I fully expected to be billed for the repair because it was definitely not an accident. They put the lenses in new frames and mailed them back first class - NO CHARGE. I will probably use DFV for life.

Dr.SpongeBobDDS said:
My little niece and nephew climbed up in my closet, got them out and tore the frame into several pieces.

Of all things to tear up... :(

Well the only even moderately expensive things I own are my loupes and my computer - and since my computer is an ancient 265 hhz Compaq the obvious choice was the loupes. :rolleyes: But what can you do? :D

I know, it's an orientation thread... but I'd recommend Orascoptics. Seemed to have the best feel and warranty at the time I got them.