Orlando Regional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I?m interviewing there next week and was just wondering if anyone knew anything about their program.
Any input would be greatly appreciated, since people keep telling me it?s not so good, but no one knows exactly why.

Thnx! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well...since nobody answered my post, I might as well give you my opinion, since I just got back from my interview.
As you know it is a community-based program with 10 residency positions, it seems small, but they have a very solid number of surg specimens, over 50,000, 13,000 cytology specimens, about 1000 FNA etc...All good numbers, great variety for adequate exposure to all types of dz. The residents are awesome! they all seem very happy and to get along very well. The PD is a great person, and most of the faculty are well known in their fields, like Dr. Gary Pearl, well known NP, and they all have amazing backgrounds...Hopkins, Emory, Sloan-Kettering.
I would be more than happy to match into their program, plus Orlando is an awesome city. Hope this helps... ;)

Glad you like the program...1 question for you:

50,000 surgical specimens and 10 residents? How many residents do they have on surg path at once, how does the cutting/previewing/sign out schedule work out for them?

I'm reminding you this b/c the one thing you may want to avoid at a community hospital is getting killed with grossing, not having time to preview, and basically becoming a glorified PA.

Hopefully this is not the issue with Orlando. Good luck the rest of the way!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are absolutely right, when I heard 50,000 surg specimens and only 10 residents it scared me too!:wow: The residents were totally honest about the cutting, it is a lot! and having to stay late does occur, but they have a PA during the day who helps out and they have another who comes in around 5 or 6 untill midnight, they try to have a senior on frozen, so the resident on station 1 can just gross. The schedule goes 2 days of cutting and you read/sign out on the third day (so you only are signing out 50% of what you grossed, only what you did the day before) you have two months of surg path, then you get a month of autopsy and after that you get a month of CP, I guess this gives you time to catch up on reading and autopsy stuff...
They are also recluting one more PGY-1 this year, so that would be 3.
The 2 first year residents, seemed very relaxed and happy, so, I guess it must not be that terrible, in other places, I didn?t even have a chance to see the first year residents, let alone talk to them for a while.
Thanks for your input, you have more experience in this matter, and all helps, when time comes to submit our ROL.