Ortho 2013 essentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swordfish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In this thread, I am hoping to collect relevant information regarding Ortho 2013 program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am applying too for 12 programs , I have not submitted PASS application and want to know if I can send other document to the programs now! What do you think guys?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Yes I am applying, there are a lot of people applying. Nobody says anything though. Every year ortho is silent

Last edited:

Last edited:
I am applying to 7-8 schools. Though I did consider a program's reputation in determining what schools to apply to, I considered - cost, length, and location - as more important factors. With my debt reaching north of 200k, I consider minimizing future loans a top priority. Likewise, the 6-12 mos of income you'd earn by attending a 2yr program vs 2.5/3yr, was not lost on me.

Reputation is my vote. I applied to 7 schools. Reputation of Ortho schools might be based some on where a person goes to dental school though. The top I hear are UW, Michigan, UNC. But maybe down in Houston they say something different?

I have heard to stay away from programs with new or changing program directors too but I dont know if anyone else took that into consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)
Screw reputation, by now we (dental students) all know that all dental schools are the same and u will learn the same stuff anywhere, IT IS TOTALLY UP TO THAT INDIVIDUAL HOW MUCH HE WANTS TO LEARN. I vote for Cost (tuition and living expenses) and duration. I would rather go to 2 years (without Master crap) program with low cost. But thats my opinion.

Last edited:
Reputation from the profs and people who know the field, where the textbooks come from. I don't decide reputation but I listen to what the faculty say and who they respect.

Some schools though have a good reputation but are falling apart or are dead already. UCSF ortho is going down and their OS program chair is leaving sometime this year. People are flooding out of there for some reason.

Ohio is getting a new program director so they will probably be a mess and Maryland just got a new one and they are a tiny program.

So I take those into consideration, what the people in the field say and how stable the program has been in the last few years.

UCSF ortho is still a great orthodontics program. Our program director, Dr. Nelson, has been faculty at our school for a number of years and is now chair. As for our OS program chair, he is most likely retiring, not leaving. I will admit that we have had some faculty leave, but it was because they wanted a change in work environment. If you could please get your facts straight before posting, that would be great! :)

UCSF ortho is still a great orthodontics program. Our program director, Dr. Nelson, has been faculty at our school for a number of years and is now chair. As for our OS program chair, he is most likely retiring, not leaving. I will admit that we have had some faculty leave, but it was because they wanted a change in work environment. If you could please get your facts straight before posting, that would be great! :)

I did not mean to offend you or anything but you said a lot of what I said in your statements but might not know the effect. Dr. Nelson I am sure is a great person. I am saying that the word is that the previous chair was so great and did such great things for UCSF that now he is gone and Dr. Nelson currently Acting chair is in charge. It will be a hard act to follow and likely will not meet the high expectations that have been set. I would consider that decrease from what they were.

OMFS is the same as Ortho. Programs are their faculty and Directors. He probably is retiring but he is the program. UCSF OMFS is directly tied to the medical school and it is always a fight. Many programs when they lose a program director or have changes quickly lose the war. The program could go quickly to 4 year (from a 6) because the med school pushes out dental, this happens from strong Medical Schools.

Plus you said yourself UCSF has had a few faculty leave for various reasons. This hurts a program if they leave within a few years, it hurts less if there is a huge program. UCSF has a lot of faculty which is great but changes affect a lot, more than we see as students and this is what the people in the field talk about.

Hopefully I showed some more reasoning here. But maybe we should get back to some more happy things like waiting for interviews....

Last edited:
Hello ladies and gents. I am applying this fall as well. Its interesting how many views this thread has but so few posts. Children, I have a secret to share: posting on this thread wont decrease your chances of interviewing/matching so dont be shy and start typing. I am applying to a total of 13 programs. Most of them participate in Pass/Match. The applications are in already due to some earlier deadlines so now just waiting for interviews.

I will try to list schools names and dates here as interviews arrive, feel free to do the same.

Last edited:
I don't get why everyone's being secretive. You will get in if you're meant to get it and what you've said on SDN is hardly going to be a deciding factor.

That being said, I've applied to 17 programs. I was not #1 in my class nor did I get a 98 on the boards.

Length is a big consideration for me. I've been out of school for 3 years, I'm not getting any younger and I have a decent clinical background to be fine without that extra year.

I owe >200K already. As a dentist, debt is your middle name for a long time. As for location..well, I'd prefer to stay here where I have a network but I'd move and it's not a big deal where to.

Hey guys, I am applying next cycle. I know all programs that are participating in pass/match, does anybody know how to get info about the programs that don't ? Thanks

Quite an interesting article. I can only imagine the debt levels will increase with the loss of subsidized loans.

I'm applying to 20 programs; PASS, non-PASS, & all supplemental app.'s have been submitted. Main pre-interview consideration: COST -- Hence, why I'm applying to all paid programs (minus St. Barnabas & Maimonides, which require GPR or post-dental school experience).

Schools that have confirmed my application status as "complete", by either sending me an email or simply telling me when I called to confirm receipt of my materials:

UAB
LSU
UF
Montefiore
MUSC
UCLA
Nova
Baylor

Hope this info. is useful. Good luck!

I'm applying to 20 programs; PASS, non-PASS, & all supplemental app.'s have been submitted. Main pre-interview consideration: COST -- Hence, why I'm applying to all paid programs (minus St. Barnabas & Maimonides, which require GPR or post-dental school experience).

Schools that have confirmed my application status as "complete", by either sending me an email or simply telling me when I called to confirm receipt of my materials:

UAB
LSU
UF
Montefiore
MUSC
UCLA
Nova
Baylor

Hope this info. is useful. Good luck!

good luck man, let us know how it goes.

does anyone know which schools prefer students right out of dental school vs. dentists with clinical experience?

If history is an accurate reference, in 2-3 weeks time we should be expecting something. The schools with the earliest deadlines like ATSU and Tufts should be more prompt than others. Fingers crossed!

There is one topic said that Oklahoma already announced. I didn't apply to that program though, but these coming months would be the hardest period of my life. T_T

In comparison to last year's invitations, the one extended by Oklahoma seems early. I wonder if any other programs will send invites soon? It sounds like my school (Houston) won't be extending any until late september.

-

Last edited:
It is very depressing when you see schools you apply showing up here but you didn't hear a thing....

It is very depressing when you see schools you apply showing up here but you didn't hear a thing....

Stop reading the SDN thread. It takes willpower but is better than feeling depressed. This thread already has 5000+ views because people like you keep checking it and nosy folks like me want to know what admissions is like these days since so many new programs have exploded and tuition is ridiculous.

Feeling totally defeated right now. What is the word on the best thing to do next year to be more competitive?

Hey guys, does anyone know how USC's program is regarded, reputation-wise? And of course all ortho programs are super competitive, but is USC on the higher end of the competition because it's in Cali or is it perhaps a little lower due to the obscene cost of becoming an orthodontist there (80 g's/yr)? Maybe some of the west coast kids can shed light on this...one faculty at my home school (i'm in the midwest) said that west coast schools in general are especially competitive because everyone wants to do ortho out there and thus their bars are typically set a little higher. Another ortho faculty member here, who used to be at UCLA, told us that about 25 out of a hundred in a UCLA dental class will apply ortho. We are a relatively high-specializing school, but less than 10 of us applied ortho out of about 110, and the number of applicants this year from our school is more than average. So all in all, I'm wondering if these ridiculous-cost bearing schools in the west (USC, Pacific, etc) will maybe be more inclined to give less equipped applicants (<90 NBDE I, below top quartile of class) a sniff, if the strongest applicants selectively don't apply there, or due to good program rep and high demand for ortho spots, is it equally competitive anyway?

Last edited:
Hey guys, does anyone know how USC's program is regarded, reputation-wise? And of course all ortho programs are super competitive, but is USC on the higher end of the competition because it's in Cali or is it perhaps a little lower due to the obscene cost of becoming an orthodontist there (80 g's/yr)? Maybe some of the west coast kids can shed light on this...one faculty at my home school (i'm in the midwest) said that west coast schools in general are especially competitive because everyone wants to do ortho out there and thus their bars are typically set a little higher. Another ortho faculty member here, who used to be at UCLA, told us that about 25 out of a hundred in a UCLA dental class will apply ortho. We are a relatively high-specializing school, but less than 10 of us applied ortho out of about 110, and the number of applicants this year from our school is more than average. So all in all, I'm wondering if these ridiculous-cost bearing schools in the west (USC, Pacific, etc) will maybe be more inclined to give less equipped applicants (<90 NBDE I, below top quartile of class) a sniff, if the strongest applicants selectively don't apply there, or due to good program rep and high demand for ortho spots, is it equally competitive anyway?

I can't necessarily speak on the competitiveness of applying to the USC ortho program (but I consider all ortho programs to be competitive) however I can tell you that 25/100 is an over estimate for the number of UCLA ortho applicants. There are 11 UCLA students applying to ortho this year and I think less than half of us applied to USC (primarily because of cost$$$). So don't think that 25 students from across town are applying to USC ortho. In fact I think only about 30/100 students total are applying to specialties (all inclusive) from UCLA this year. I do believe that schools in desirable locations (ie Cali) receive a high number of applicants which can increase the competitiveness. As far as UoP, it's $$$ but like their predoc it is shorter so you begin earning $ earlier. Also, students tend to really enjoy their time at USC and UoP and are willing to pay for it. Not much insight but I hope this helps.

My advice, apply where you are interested because you never know who will read your app and invite you for an interview. Schools I thought were way out of my league have invited me for interview and other schools I where i thought my chances were better have not contacted me so just go for it!

In fact I think only about 30/100 students total are applying to specialties (all inclusive) from UCLA this year.

Wow. That's a low number. When it was my class' application cycle, that number was in the 50's NOT including AEGD/GPRs.

Has anyone worked in school making appliances or trimming models, etc? Do you think making appliances would be a good experience and help one when applying?

It's already over for me by one particular reason; I got accepted. And by that decision I have to drop the rest of the interview I've got, so a spot might open for who apply to BU. Good luck guys.

To answer your question, I say do EVERYTHING that you can!!! because you will never know why they pick you up until you get in, which is by then, it doesn't matter anymore.

Hi I am wondering how is the UMDNJ orthodontics residency program? Does anyone know this program? Thank you very much!