Ortho and Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Solid Snake DDS

Student DDS
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I was planning to do research in the summer of my JR year (2008). I would love to start Ortho in the summer of 2009 (that is if I match). Would doing research in the summer of 2008 be too late? Or should I try to tough it out and do research right now at the start of my JR year?

I dont want my grades to suffer due to research......which could hinder me even more.

What would I put on my CV in the research section? TBA? In the works? etc..etc..etc..

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

most people have been sending in the PASS CV's around late june or mid-July. in fact, if you send your PASS stuff in the beginning of June, PASS won't send it out until late July anyways. if you start research in May, that gives you a good two months to figure out what the heck you're doing. you basically write something like "Investigating the effect of blah blah blah on blah blah blah" on your resume, but don't really write any details of the results. That being said, you'll have enough to put on your resume by mid-July. Non-PASS programs have even later deadlines, so again your fine. Come October when interviews start, you should hopefully have some results and conclusions from your research, which you can expound on in your interviews. if you're doing the research just for the CV filler, i'd say your timing is fine.

Greetings all,

I was planning to do research in the summer of my JR year (2008). I would love to start Ortho in the summer of 2009 (that is if I match). Would doing research in the summer of 2008 be too late? Or should I try to tough it out and do research right now at the start of my JR year?

I dont want my grades to suffer due to research......which could hinder me even more.

What would I put on my CV in the research section? TBA? In the works? etc..etc..etc..

Thanks

Greetings all,

Thanks

The depth of your research experience isn't necessarily what a program will be looking for (although an allstar with great numbers AND loads of research experience will likely have a leg-up). Multiple programs told me during interviews that they were most interested in applicants having exposure to research, so prospective residents can know what to expect (in MS-granting programs), have some idea how to dissect articles (you will read zillions in residency), and in some cases just go through it because they did.
Good luck with the application process. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't listen to a word JPollei has to say, he doesn't even know what it is like to match. He had to Post-Match into his home school, yet he posts like he is a hotshot.

Viva la Truth

Don't listen to a word JPollei has to say, he doesn't even know what it is like to match. He had to Post-Match into his home school, yet he posts like he is a hotshot.

Viva la Truth

Everybody has a right to give their opinions, if you didn't like it, ignore it.. Don't try to put others down here.