Ortho chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

humbletooth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a practicing general dentist (for 2 yrs), wishing to apply for otho.

My stats are less than stellar.. in fact, they are pretty pathetic
1. bottom 3rd in class rank (below 3.0)
2. NBDE part 84/81

I have a decent DAT score (24), but since I was accepted to dental school, I never really put an effort in studying, thinking I would never be interested in specializing.. so I just "got by" dental school.

I know that everyone that posts here for ortho(or any specialty) has spectacular stats so let me ask as a representative of all who has a change of mind about specializing after their graduation.

1. DO I HAVE EVEN THE SMALLEST CHANCE OF BEING ACCEPTED TO ORTHO?

2. IF NOT THEN, WOULD A KICK-ASS SCORE IN (1) NBME OR (2) GRE HELP ME INCREASE MY TINY CHANCE?

thank you for your honest input:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

2. NBDE part 84/81

I have a decent DAT score (24), but since I was accepted to dental school, I never really put an effort in studying, thinking I would never be interested in specializing.. so I just "got by" dental school.

I know that everyone that posts here for ortho(or any specialty) has spectacular stats so let me ask as a representative of all who has a change of mind about specializing after their graduation.

2. IF NOT THEN, WOULD A KICK-ASS SCORE IN (1) NBME OR (2) GRE HELP ME INCREASE MY TINY CHANCE?

The NBDE is now pass/fail. As far as the NBME step 1, I believe only oral surgery admission committees look at that, not ortho ad coms.

I think your stats might be on the lower end of the application pool, but you might need to do an orthodontic internship and get a high GRE score (99th percentile) to increase your chances. Also, depending on which dental school you graduated from, it can also affect your chances. Anything is worth fighting for if you truly want it. Btw, I am no means an expert, but those are just my two cents.

Hey all,

2. NBDE part 84/81

So we know your stats are low. Your high DAT means nothing at this point. That rank is killer and the boards are bad but I don't think impossible to overcome. A good GRE will help with some programs and for sure you would need to do well; but I don't think a 99% is needed, most GRE Schools are major institutions that wont be looking at your app, but doing well is always good. 80%+ on each GRE section would be good.

I agree 100% that internship is probably your best bet, the schools that do those are also a higher probability in general.

I also agree that the school you graduated from will play a role.

You know your application best, any extras that are crazy cool (Start an organization? Big in your local MDA, Research with someone interesting)?

My plan would be find out where you are happy going. Some people refuse to leave their state, that is limiting. If you will go anywhere and do anything and do not care how long it takes that is a different ball game.

I also agree that if you want Ortho go for it and continue until you get it. Persistence with a well developed plan of action can lead you many places.