Jul 3, 2018
You'll match. Just do 3 aways and be a realistic. Only a max of 1 of your aways should be at a reach, since having ample research may help offset the lower than avg step score and no honors. Otherwise, if your priority is to match, just do research in to solid programs that you think you'd like to be at because you'd be a good fit there and/or they're close to family/friends or whatever your preference is.
Thanks for the advice. With my stats do you think I should focus on rotating at community programs?

Multiple residents have told me that the strategy of doing aways in different geographic areas doesn't really work, and instead I should rotate where I really want to go even if all of those programs are in one location. What are your thoughts on this?

Bancrofti

7+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the advice. With my stats do you think I should focus on rotating at community programs?

Multiple residents have told me that the strategy of doing aways in different geographic areas doesn't really work, and instead I should rotate where I really want to go even if all of those programs are in one location. What are your thoughts on this?
No, not at all. You won't have a bad application by any means. Ortho is just so competitive that your application unfortunately isn't going to make you stand out in a pile where avg step 1 is 248 and multiple honors in rotations. However, your application is good enough to not close any doors at a majority of programs.

Correct, different geographic regions doesn't work. Just rotate where you want to go. As long as you do well on your rotations, you'll have a very good chance at wherever you rotate.

SynapticDoctah

5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Hey everyone. I am going to be applying next year for residency and had some questions regarding how many programs to apply to.

D.O. student

Stats
250-255 step 1
650-670 COMLeX 1
Preclinical grades: Top 10% of class
Clinical grades: Didn't honor surgery by 1 point, didn't honor IM by 2 points. Honored psych, OB, peds. Don't have class rank yet for clinical, but would think it will be at least top 20%.

Completed a teaching/research fellowship in between years 2 and 3 of medical school.

Research:
Publication
-1st author case report (IM)
-1st author case report (ortho)
-Currently working on 1st author case report (ortho)
-3 interventional cardiology abstracts (2nd-3rd author)
-Have 5-6 full manuscripts that are currently being worked on (1 submitted) and should have them hopefully published by the time I apply. All papers are surgery related. I am 1st author on one, 2nd on three, and then middle of pack on the other two.

Posters/Presentations

1 oral presentation at regional ACS conference
multiple posters at national osteopathic orthopedic conference
3 interventional cardiology posters (2nd-3rd author) at national cardiology conference

Bunch of other small posters presented at my school or at other conferences, but the ones above I feel are the most important.

I was thinking about applying to ACGME residencies next year (as well as all the previously- AOA programs) and was wondering how many I should apply to? I understand my chances at getting interviews is slim, but maybe someone will give me a chance?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018
Your stats are competitive for mid-tier and lower-tier ortho programs. Should match with some good aways. If you wanted to reach for higher tier ortho residencies could consider doing a research year.
Could you help me understand how to find out if programs are mid-tier vs. low-tier? Is it all just word of mouth and talking to people?

You'll match. Just do 3 aways and be a realistic. Only a max of 1 of your aways should be at a reach, since having ample research may help offset the lower than avg step score and no honors.
Thank you for this advice. I am aware of the top tier big name programs, but could you suggest how I can figure out which programs are more realistic for my stats? Are there any accurate online resources for comparing programs by competitiveness, avg stats, etc?

Last edited:

XxThaDoggxX

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2015
The DoggHouse
Status
Medical Student
Didn't get much love in the main thread board, so maybe someone here can help me out here :)

Medical School: Middle tier east coast program, non-top 25.
Step 1: 252
M3 grades: HP in psych, Honors in all the rest
AOA: Yes

Research: One publication, though not Ortho related (hopped on the ortho train pretty late into 3rd year)...but should be able to possibly get atleast 1 ortho publication by time I submit ERAS, worried lack of research will hurt me.

Shooting for blue-collar, middle-tier programs.

Last edited:

Bonejorno

PGY-Bone
Apr 27, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Didn't get much love in the main thread board, so maybe someone here can help me out here :)

Medical School: Middle tier east coast program, non-top 25.
Step 1: 252
M3 grades: HP in psych, Honors in all the rest...most likely will be away

Research: One publication, though not Ortho related (hopped on the ortho train pretty late into 3rd year)...but should be able to possibly get atleast 1 ortho publication by time I submit ERAS, worried lack of research will hurt me.

Shooting for blue-collar, middle-tier programs.
I think you should be fine. One of my classmates only had 1 research experience and he received plenty of interviews. Just keep looking for research opportunities this year and try to pump out a few abstracts at least.

Make sure you get involved with ortho advisors since you got in the game a little late.

Bonejorno

PGY-Bone
Apr 27, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Current Status: MS-4 (will be taking research year)
School: Mid-Tier MD program
Step 1:
Step 2: taking in late June/Early July
Pre-clinical:
All passes (pass/fail)
Clinical: 4 HPs, 4 Ps (major concern for me, excellent comments across the board)
Research:

-Will be taking research year. Working on 5-6 projects all going up for publications in the next couple of months + 12 more months of dedicated research at my home program
-Will obtain a masters in clinical research in this year as well

Will be doing 4 aways next year to hopefully boost my interview numbers.

My main concerns are my Step I score and clinical grades; I know it hurts me. I would appreciate any tips for applying and advice on how to strengthen my application between now and next September. Do you think I have any chances with those grades and step score?

When the time comes though, I plan to apply to every single program. Which programs should I focus on in the Midwest (I am from the midwest)?

@VincentAdultman or @OrthoTraumaMD , can I get your thoughts? I would greatly appreciate it!
Definitely research year. And use that research year to get in good with your home program. I’d say that’s probably the best chance you have. Think of it as an year-long opportunity to impress and buddy buddy with the attendings and residents at your home program. That means going above and beyond of the role of a research assistant. Scrub in cases with attendings. Help residents out. Whatever else that you can do.

Absolutely do 4 aways, but also realize it’s going to be very hard. I did 4 (with people around me raising their eyebrows), and I was very burned out by my 4th one. It’s extremely tiring “to be on” for that long with that many different people.

Choose your away rotations smart. Rotate at places that guarantees you an interview if you rotate. Rotate at places that makes sense. No sense in rotating at HSS with a 230.

Not much more you can do other than the research year, absolutely destroying your away rotations and step 2, and getting people from your programs to make calls for you when the time comes.

It’s going to be an uphill battle. I would recommend that you start thinking about a backup specialty and prepare a little in that direction too.

VincentAdultman

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2005
New York
Status
Attending Physician
Step 1:
Pre-clinical:
All passes (pass/fail)
Clinical: 4 HPs, 4 Ps (major concern for me, excellent comments across the board)
Research:

-Will be taking research year. Working on 5-6 projects all going up for publications in the next couple of months + 12 more months of dedicated research at my home program

My main concerns are my Step I score and clinical grades; I know it hurts me. I would appreciate any tips for applying and advice on how to strengthen my application between now and next September. Do you think I have any chances with those grades and step score?

When the time comes though, I plan to apply to every single program. Which programs should I focus on in the Midwest (I am from the midwest)?

@VincentAdultman or @OrthoTraumaMD , can I get your thoughts? I would greatly appreciate it!
If you have 5-6 papers up for publication then I’m not sure how much a research year is going to add. The thing that’s going to influence your chances at matching the most are you’re aways.

Just keep in mind that you need to be on your game every day. If you’re doing four ortho rotations that’s a long time to be working at that level.

Dec 22, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
Step 1:
Pre-clinical:
All passes (pass/fail)
Research:

There’s always a chance. Work hard on your aways and you have a shot— the best shot is at low to midtier programs that you rotate at. Give it one chance. But only one....if you don’t match, then seek another specialty.

RemDawg18

2+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Would love some feedback on my match chances. I am COUPLES MATCHING (mid-competitive specialty)
Year: MS4, MD
School: Mid-Tier, midwest program
Step 1: 254
Step 2 CK: 249 (worried, was expecting higher :( )
Clinical: Honored 4/8 including surgery and medicine
Research: One endocrine project that was bone-related, one project currently within school ortho department submitted for publication/national conferences.

So far have 2 aways lined up, awaiting to hear about a third. doing 2 home rotations as well.

Thanks for the help!

Bonejorno

PGY-Bone
Apr 27, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Would love some feedback on my match chances. I am COUPLES MATCHING (mid-competitive specialty)
Year: MS4, MD
School: Mid-Tier, midwest program
Step 1: 254
Step 2 CK: 249 (worried, was expecting higher :( )
Clinical: Honored 4/8 including surgery and medicine
Research: One endocrine project that was bone-related, one project currently within school ortho department submitted for publication/national conferences.

So far have 2 aways lined up, awaiting to hear about a third. doing 2 home rotations as well.

Thanks for the help!
What is your SO matching into and what are his/her scores?

canadienflames

5+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I would appreciate it if someone could provide some guidance. I am a Canadian citizen going to a Canadian medical school. Technically in Charting Outcomes we are grouped with US MD grads, but I'm hesitant to rely on it since the sample size is so small for Canadian med school grads. My plan was to just apply for ortho programs in Canada but I got my step 1 score back and had the thought of also applying to some US programs.

Current Status: MS-3 (just starting)
School: Canadian medical school
Step 1: 261
Step 2: Not yet taken
Pre-clinical: All passes (pass/fail)
Clinical: Will be all passes hopefully (Pass/Fail with no rankings/honors/etc)
Research:
- 1 first author case report unrelated to ortho
- involved in an ortho project with presentations and posters but no publications (yet)
Visa: planning on getting J1 and the current policies sound favorable to obtaining it since there are no more caps on statements of needs

I understand that my chances are slim as a non-US MD, but I was wondering if there's enough chance for me to commit to a US ortho audition rotation somewhere.

Thanks for any input!

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I understand that my chances are slim as a non-US MD, but I was wondering if there's enough chance for me to commit to a US ortho audition rotation somewhere.
My understanding is canadians are different. Canadian medical schools are LCME accredited.