ortho chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current Status: MS-4 (will be taking research year)
School: Mid-Tier MD program
Step 1:
Step 2: taking in late June/Early July
Pre-clinical:
All passes (pass/fail)
Clinical: 4 HPs, 4 Ps (major concern for me, excellent comments across the board)
Research:

-Will be taking research year. Working on 5-6 projects all going up for publications in the next couple of months + 12 more months of dedicated research at my home program
-Will obtain a masters in clinical research in this year as well

Will be doing 4 aways next year to hopefully boost my interview numbers.

My main concerns are my Step I score and clinical grades; I know it hurts me. I would appreciate any tips for applying and advice on how to strengthen my application between now and next September. Do you think I have any chances with those grades and step score?

When the time comes though, I plan to apply to every single program. Which programs should I focus on in the Midwest (I am from the midwest)?

@VincentAdultman or @OrthoTraumaMD , can I get your thoughts? I would greatly appreciate it!
Definitely research year. And use that research year to get in good with your home program. I’d say that’s probably the best chance you have. Think of it as an year-long opportunity to impress and buddy buddy with the attendings and residents at your home program. That means going above and beyond of the role of a research assistant. Scrub in cases with attendings. Help residents out. Whatever else that you can do.

Absolutely do 4 aways, but also realize it’s going to be very hard. I did 4 (with people around me raising their eyebrows), and I was very burned out by my 4th one. It’s extremely tiring “to be on” for that long with that many different people.

Choose your away rotations smart. Rotate at places that guarantees you an interview if you rotate. Rotate at places that makes sense. No sense in rotating at HSS with a 230.

Not much more you can do other than the research year, absolutely destroying your away rotations and step 2, and getting people from your programs to make calls for you when the time comes.

It’s going to be an uphill battle. I would recommend that you start thinking about a backup specialty and prepare a little in that direction too.

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1:
Pre-clinical:
All passes (pass/fail)
Clinical: 4 HPs, 4 Ps (major concern for me, excellent comments across the board)
Research:

-Will be taking research year. Working on 5-6 projects all going up for publications in the next couple of months + 12 more months of dedicated research at my home program

My main concerns are my Step I score and clinical grades; I know it hurts me. I would appreciate any tips for applying and advice on how to strengthen my application between now and next September. Do you think I have any chances with those grades and step score?

When the time comes though, I plan to apply to every single program. Which programs should I focus on in the Midwest (I am from the midwest)?

@VincentAdultman or @OrthoTraumaMD , can I get your thoughts? I would greatly appreciate it!

If you have 5-6 papers up for publication then I’m not sure how much a research year is going to add. The thing that’s going to influence your chances at matching the most are you’re aways.

Just keep in mind that you need to be on your game every day. If you’re doing four ortho rotations that’s a long time to be working at that level.

Step 1:
Pre-clinical:
All passes (pass/fail)
Research:

There’s always a chance. Work hard on your aways and you have a shot— the best shot is at low to midtier programs that you rotate at. Give it one chance. But only one....if you don’t match, then seek another specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would love some feedback on my match chances. I am COUPLES MATCHING (mid-competitive specialty)
Year: MS4, MD
School: Mid-Tier, midwest program
Step 1: 254
Step 2 CK: 249 (worried, was expecting higher :( )
Clinical: Honored 4/8 including surgery and medicine
AOA: Yes
Research: One endocrine project that was bone-related, one project currently within school ortho department submitted for publication/national conferences.

So far have 2 aways lined up, awaiting to hear about a third. doing 2 home rotations as well.

Thanks for the help!

Would love some feedback on my match chances. I am COUPLES MATCHING (mid-competitive specialty)
Year: MS4, MD
Step 1: 254
Step 2 CK: 249 (worried, was expecting higher :( )
Clinical: Honored 4/8 including surgery and medicine
AOA: Yes
Research: One endocrine project that was bone-related, one project currently within school ortho department submitted for publication/national conferences.

So far have 2 aways lined up, awaiting to hear about a third. doing 2 home rotations as well.

Thanks for the help!

What is your SO matching into and what are his/her scores?

I would appreciate it if someone could provide some guidance. I am a Canadian citizen going to a Canadian medical school. Technically in Charting Outcomes we are grouped with US MD grads, but I'm hesitant to rely on it since the sample size is so small for Canadian med school grads. My plan was to just apply for ortho programs in Canada but I got my step 1 score back and had the thought of also applying to some US programs.

Current Status: MS-3 (just starting)
School: Canadian medical school
Step 1: 261
Step 2: Not yet taken
Pre-clinical: All passes (pass/fail)
Clinical: Will be all passes hopefully (Pass/Fail with no rankings/honors/etc)
Research:
- 1 first author case report unrelated to ortho
- involved in an ortho project with presentations and posters but no publications (yet)
Visa: planning on getting J1 and the current policies sound favorable to obtaining it since there are no more caps on statements of needs

I understand that my chances are slim as a non-US MD, but I was wondering if there's enough chance for me to commit to a US ortho audition rotation somewhere.

Thanks for any input!

I understand that my chances are slim as a non-US MD, but I was wondering if there's enough chance for me to commit to a US ortho audition rotation somewhere.
My understanding is canadians are different. Canadian medical schools are LCME accredited.

Yeah unfortunately I don't think there would be very many previous cases, if any at all.

So my current plan is to do my away rotations predominantly in Canada. 4 aways of 2 weeks each (since we have no USMLE equivalent, doing as many aways as possible is pretty much the only way to get into a specialty, and 2 weeks is the standard length compared to 4 weeks in the US).

This leaves me the time to do one 3-4 week away rotation in the US. Would this be reasonable to apply to some US ortho programs for a shot? Any suggestions on the type of programs I should look at for both away rotations and applying?

Thank you everyone!

Year: MS3, MD
Step 1: 238
Step 2 CK: N/A, will try 250+
Clinical
: Just started
AOA: Nope, 3rd quartile
Research: A decent amount of research in other fields. One completely unrelated and another unrelated surgical subspecialty. 15 Abstract/presentations and 2 publications with 1-2 more coming.

My question is: How much would my chances of matching increase if I do an Ortho research year after 3rd year? I met with some faculty at my department and they have internal funding for next year and said I would be a good candidate for it. This would allow me to build strong connections at my program, increase ortho research output and get plenty of clinical experience as well.

How much different would it be if I do ortho research year vs trying to pick up research now and making the plunge straight through?

@VincentAdultman @OrthoTraumaMD

Year: MS3, MD
Step 2 CK: N/A, will try 250+
Clinical
: Just started
AOA: Nope, 3rd quartile
Research: A decent amount of research in other fields. One completely unrelated and another unrelated surgical subspecialty. 15 Abstract/presentations and 2 publications with 1-2 more coming.

My question is: How much would my chances of matching increase if I do an Ortho research year after 3rd year? I met with some faculty at my department and they have internal funding for next year and said I would be a good candidate for it. This would allow me to build strong connections at my program, increase ortho research output and get plenty of clinical experience as well.

How much different would it be if I do ortho research year vs trying to pick up research now and making the plunge straight through?

@VincentAdultman @OrthoTraumaMD
As I said in my AMA, I do not answer “what are my chances” questions. Too many factors. I will say that you must have orthopedic research, and very strong letters of recommendation, particularly if your step one score is weaker than average. The average is 245. However you can get 5 to 6 orthopedic research things, you should, but I recommend a back up specialty to anyone whose application is below average for Ortho (aoa, research, step 1).

Members don't see this ad :)
As I said in my AMA, I do not answer “what are my chances” questions. Too many factors. I will say that you must have orthopedic research, and very strong letters of recommendation, particularly if your step one score is weaker than average. The average is 245. However you can get 5 to 6 orthopedic research things, you should, but I recommend a back up specialty to anyone whose application is below average for Ortho (aoa, research, step 1).

I apologize - I thought you said you only did not do "what are my chances" questions in your AMA thread, not here. Thanks for the reply

Is it feasible to match with a 247 step 1 without a research year?

Non top 25 MD school, good leadership experience, two ortho pubs plus one other project in a different field, mostly honors throughout third year. Hoping for 255 step 2.

If I get strong LORs and can do three always, decent chance to match?

MS3, Mid Tier MD
Preclinical: Pass/Fail school.
Step1: 254
Clerkship: just started, Pass in OB/GYN, Honors in Surg
Research: 1 chart review pub in JOS, turned into poster presentation at national conference.... + school conference. 20-30 hrs Cadeveric dissection experience on shoulder/elbow on multiple projects ( just an experience as unfortunately I did a buncha tendon harvesting and shoulder stuff but was never included in any of the studies on paper)
Leadership/EC/volunteering: nil

Question: I am worried about my lack of research quantity, in that I also want to avoid a taking a research year. What should I aim to accomplish on paper during MS3, research wise? 2 more pubs before ERAS? Would a couple case reports frowned upon? would MSK radiology research be seen as ortho interest?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1566511682535.png
    1566511682535.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 184
MS3, Mid Tier MD
Preclinical: Pass/Fail school.
Step1: 254
Clerkship: just started, Pass in OB/GYN, Honors in Surg
Research: 1 chart review pub in JOS, turned into poster presentation at national conference.... + school conference. 20-30 hrs Cadeveric dissection experience on shoulder/elbow on multiple projects ( just an experience as unfortunately I did a buncha tendon harvesting and shoulder stuff but was never included in any of the studies on paper)
Leadership/EC/volunteering: nil

Question: I am worried about my lack of research quantity, in that I also want to avoid a taking a research year. What should I aim to accomplish on paper during MS3, research wise? 2 more pubs before ERAS? Would a couple case reports frowned upon? would MSK radiology research be seen as ortho interest?

Thanks.

you won't need a research year. 2 more pubs would be fine, case reports included. MSK rads research works too, maybe not as well as ortho specific research but it will still help.

First generation college student.
Year: MS4 MD
Step 1: 249
Step 2 CK: N/A, will shoot for 250+
Clinical
: 3 Honors(surg,med,psych)/ 3(neuro,peds,obgyn) pass (family)
AOA: No
Research: all ortho research, 5 abstracts, 1 submitted paper, lots of work experience prior to medical school.

Would prefer to stay in the midwest.

First generation college student.
Year: MS4 MD
Step 1: 249
Step 2 CK: N/A, will shoot for 250+
Clinical
: 3 Honors(surg,med,psych)/ 3(neuro,peds,obgyn) pass (family)
Research: all ortho research, 5 abstracts, 1 submitted paper, lots of work experience prior to medical school.

Would prefer to stay in the midwest.

Does first-gen college matter in residency apps?

M1 here who is also first-gen college and interested in ortho. Just curious!

I'm genuinely curious too. I feel like it ties in with my story and is one of the one of the non-numerical part of an application

Reactions: 1 user
Year: 4th year DO
School: Southeast DO program

Research: None

Do I have any chance this late in the game?

Applying to former osteopathic programs and willing to go anywhere.

Last edited:
Year: 4th year DO
School: Southeast DO program
Step 1: 247 COMLEX Level 1- 536
Step 2 CK: About to take it, practice scores put me at 255-260 range
Clinical: All As (Our school does not do Pass/High Pass/Honors)
Research: None

Do I have any chance this late in the game? I did manage to line up 2 audition rotations. I always wanted to do ortho but never gave it a chance because of my low COMLEX I thought it would be impossible. I decided to take step 1 very late and I just got my step 1 score back not too long ago.

Applying to former osteopathic programs and willing to go anywhere.

Your COMLEX is very low for DO ortho, and without research your Step means nothing to MD programs (where your chances are minuscule at best even under the best of circumstances). I would go on your auditions and bust *** for plan 1a, and have a plan 1b. I would probably dual apply to another field if I'm being honest. Your Step is good for just about anything else except the other uber competitive specialties. Perhaps something like radiology? I know a lot of ortho guys who said they would do rads if ortho didn't work out.

I was only planning on applying to DO ortho programs. I was hoping they would take a look at my USMLE score as well. Will they only consider my COMLEX? I'm finishing up the onboarding process for a third audition in ortho as well. I'm also setting up an ortho elective with a PP doc for next month

Last edited:
I was only planning on applying to DO ortho programs. I was hoping they would take a look at my USMLE score as well. Will they only consider my COMLEX? I'm finishing up the onboarding process for a third audition in ortho as well. I'm also setting up an ortho elective with a PP doc for next month because I could not get an audition for that month(also to secure a letter of rec from the PP doc as I have no letters in ortho yet). I have letters from anesthesia, gen surg, and optho elective so far.

I am also interested in anesthesia and I have done several anesthesia rotations as well as secured letters of rec. Do you think this is a sound plan? Bust my butt on these auditions and dual apply to anesthesia.

Unfortunately COMLEX will still matter a lot to these programs (at least this is what I've been told by residents and people in the DO ortho world), although I'm sure they will see your Step and a number of PDs are MDs so would probably know what it represents. I think that plan sounds good, it's what I would do if I were applying ortho. Hell, ortho is so competitive (DO ortho match rate last year was like 40% or something like that) that even if you had a 700 applying to a backup wouldn't be a bad idea.

My only concern is that the anesthesia residency programs will see my transcript and see a huge block of ortho only rotations and will be less likely to rank me. I guess that's just a risk I have to take. So far I've done 2 anesthesia rotations (one in third year and one in 4th year). I did have another one in november but I'm cancelling it for one of the ortho rotations and I'm hoping they don't see that as a red flag.

My only concern is that the anesthesia residency programs will see my transcript and see a huge block of ortho only rotations and will be less likely to rank me. I guess that's just a risk I have to take. So far I've done 2 anesthesia rotations (one in third year and one in 4th year). I did have another one in november but I'm cancelling it for one of the ortho rotations and I'm hoping they don't see that as a red flag.

Same except I have done 0 rotations and have 0 letters...so....

A lot of these posts don't have all the info needed for us to be helpful regarding what are my chances. You should use the template below if you want the most accurate advice.

Year: _year_, _MD, DO, US, IMG, Caribbean_
School: _lower, mid, upper_ Tier, _location of_ program
Step 1: _
Step 2 CK: _
Clinical
: _how many honors, how many passes_
AOA: _yes or no_
Research: _how many pubs/abstracts/presentations_
Letters/connections: _research or mentorships connections to big names in field or family connections do matter_
Intangibles: _d1 sports in college, Fulbrights, etc_

Year: Rising M4
School: Mid-tier, Midwest
Step 2 CK: TBD. Hoping 255+
Clinical: 1 H (IM), 3 HP (including Surg), The rest became P/F after Covid19
Research: Currently 7 first author publications (1 ortho, other 6 are different surgical field), 7 manuscripts under review (4 ortho, 2 of these first author), 25+ abstracts/presentations (8 or so ortho)
Letters/connections: Hopefully will have strong letters from home program - have research projects with 2 separate faculty members. I have a mentor from a big name program I did research with prior to/through medical school who says they will advocate for me. Has known me for 6+ years
Intangibles: Leadership in SNMA, mentorship and recruitment of URM students, enjoy MedEd, cool person who likes sports/beer

Step 1, grades and AOA lacking will hurt. Research is a huge plus. You should have high percentage to match low tier somewhere and if you have a good audition rotation reasonable chance at midtier match somewhere. Focus on 260+ Step 2 if you can swing it (much easier than Step 1) which should put away any testing concerns, anywhere in the 250's will help.

I wouldn't do a research year if you haven't already. You should probably do 4 aways, I'd do two mid-tier and two lower tier -- don't waste any time on the academic powerhouses. I'd put all your effort into matching ortho this year - ~100 apps, and as close to 16 interviews as you can go on. Work it with the home program if you have research connections.

Step 1, grades and AOA lacking will hurt. Research is a huge plus. You should have high percentage to match low tier somewhere and if you have a good audition rotation reasonable chance at midtier match somewhere. Focus on 260+ Step 2 if you can swing it (much easier than Step 1) which should put away any testing concerns, anywhere in the 250's will help.

I wouldn't do a research year if you haven't already. You should probably do 4 aways, I'd do two mid-tier and two lower tier -- don't waste any time on the academic powerhouses. I'd put all your effort into matching ortho this year - ~100 apps, and as close to 16 interviews as you can go on. Work it with the home program if you have research connections.

Thanks for the feedback - Unfortunately, we can not do aways this year due to COVID per the national recommendations. I was feeling pretty good about my chances to match prior to COVID. I had 4 aways set up at low/mid tier programs, all of which some of my mentors had connections at. However, not being able to do away rotations this cycle makes me think my chances of matching are less given I won't get these "free" interviews. I have a 4 week dedicated for Step 2, which should be plenty of time to get a good score

Definitely putting all my effort into matching ortho this year - no plans for research year or dual-applying

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the feedback - Unfortunately, we can not do aways this year due to COVID per the national recommendations. I was feeling pretty good about my chances to match prior to COVID. I had 4 aways set up at low/mid tier programs, all of which some of my mentors had connections at. However, not being able to do away rotations this cycle makes me think my chances of matching are less given I won't get these "free" interviews. I have a 4 week dedicated for Step 2, which should be plenty of time to get a good score

Definitely putting all my effort into matching ortho this year - no plans for research year or dual-applying

Everyone will be on even footing then regarding away rotations. They are always a double edged sword. At my program about half the away rotators improve their shot with us and the other half worsen their shot with us with an away. We usually match half rotators and half-non rotators. Now all those "rotator spots" won't be spoken for any more.

Agree with the rest of your plan. Put in some good work the rest of this year and I think you will be an orthopod somewhere come match day.

Year: Rising 4th year DO
School: Southwest DO
Step 1: 251 Level 1: 682
Step 2 CK: 256 Level 2: Pending
Preclinical: Top 5% of class
Clinical: Letter grades at my school: A with Honors 6/9 including surgery, A x2, A- x1
AOA: Not available at my school, yes SSP (DO honorary fraternity)
Research: 18 pubs (concussion/sports med related), 4 posters (1 ortho, 3 concussion/sports med), 1 podium sports med
Letters: 1 academic ortho, 1 community ortho, 1 excellent non-ortho letter. Hoping to get 1-2 more ortho during my limited auditions this year
Intangibles: DIII college football

Planning to focus on former DO programs. I know MD chances are slim, but would love some insight into which MD programs won't just screen me out as a DO.

Thanks!

Clinical: Letter grades at my school: A with Honors 6/9 including surgery, A x2, A- x1
Research: 18 pubs (concussion/sports med related), 4 posters (1 ortho, 3 concussion/sports med), 1 podium sports med
Letters: 1 academic ortho, 1 community ortho, 1 excellent non-ortho letter. Hoping to get 1-2 more ortho during my limited auditions this year

Planning to focus on former DO programs. I know MD chances are slim, but would love some insight into which MD programs won't just screen me out as a DO.

Thanks!

@DNC127

Thanks!
Do an MD rotation, and 4-5 DO.

apply to as many MD as you can afford and all DOs.

prediction: you will match.

I DM’d you as well

Reactions: 1 users
I think you should be fine. One of my classmates only had 1 research experience and he received plenty of interviews. Just keep looking for research opportunities this year and try to pump out a few abstracts at least.

Make sure you get involved with ortho advisors since you got in the game a little late.

Are the numbers on charting outcomes inflated somehow? By the looks of those, it seems like someone with 1 research experience or publication would be DOA, but seems like it isn't that way at all. Obviously someone should strive to have ample research, but is 1 publication/experience really enough?

I'm not meaning this to be elitist or derogatory at all (I currently have 0 ortho research), a publication and research experience can obviously be a ridiculous amount of work. I'm asking just because of the seemingly astronomical numbers in charting outcomes (2020 says 5.4 avg experiences with 14.3 publications for the average matched applicant).

Are the numbers on charting outcomes inflated somehow? By the looks of those, it seems like someone with 1 research experience or publication would be DOA, but seems like it isn't that way at all. Obviously someone should strive to have ample research, but is 1 publication/experience really enough?

I'm not meaning this to be elitist or derogatory at all (I currently have 0 ortho research), a publication and research experience can obviously be a ridiculous amount of work. I'm asking just because of the seemingly astronomical numbers in charting outcomes (2020 says 5.4 avg experiences with 14.3 publications for the average matched applicant).

Yeah, pretty much all the charting outcome numbers for research are inflated. People might have 1-2 actual publications but then a lot of extraneous fluff that build the overall number pretty high.

I see a lot of people here posting whether or not they go to a T25, how much does that actually help? It's my understanding the main reason this really helps is because of all of the research opportunities you can get at a T25 rather than just having a recognizable name. Unless it's Harvard.

just an M1 stopping by and I saw in the beginning of this thread someone said to be prepared to explain any mediocre preclinical grades. Granted, this was back in 2004 (page 1, comment #4 of this thread) so is this still the case?

Year: M4 (class of 2021)
School: mid tier USMD
Step 1: 252
Step 2 CK: To take
Clinical: All Honors except one High Pass; top 10% of class
AOA: Not yet decided
Research: 20+ pubmed papers, 50+ total research items; however none related to ortho
Letters: I have 0 ortho letters, although I do have other letters. No away (because of covid). No home rotation because I was originally applying to another field. No chair letter unless I do a home rotation, and at that point it will be after ERAS is due.

What should I do at this point? Take a research year? Or apply anyway and see what happens and hope I can be saved by the grace of covid?

research year. you need ortho letters to match

Reactions: 2 users
Year: class of 2022 MD
School: Top 15 school with strong ortho program
Step 1: 267
Step 2 CK: haven't taken yet
Clinical: H in IM, Peds, Neuro, Surgery, other rotations still pending
AOA: My school has no AOA
Research: 2 ortho pubs, 1 case report in unrelated field, 1 ortho textbook chapter, 1 ortho poster

I know the lack of research will keep me out of elite territory, and I am okay with that. My question is will I match if I apply broadly?

Research: 2 ortho pubs, 1 case report in unrelated field, 1 ortho textbook chapter, 1 ortho poster

I know the lack of research will keep me out of elite territory, and I am okay with that. My question is will I match if I apply broadly?

Little to no chance, take a research year and up your step 2 by 20 points. You may have a shot then.

• Haha

Make sure your step 2 is good and you’re fine.

No need to be sarcastic. I really don’t know where I would stand as an applicant

You've gotten this far, so you are smart enough to know that you have an extremely high chance of matching orthopaedics with a 267 Step score, Top 15 medical school and all H's. You don't really have a "lack of research".. Multiple pubs, book chapter, etc and you still have 9 months until ERAS to get some stuff done. Focus on getting strong letters and picking away rotations.

Reactions: 2 users
No need to be sarcastic. I really don’t know where I would stand as an applicant
You've gotten this far, so you are smart enough to know that you have an extremely high chance of matching orthopaedics with a 267 Step score, Top 15 medical school and all H's. You don't really have a "lack of research".. Multiple pubs, book chapter, etc and you still have 9 months until ERAS to get some stuff done. Focus on getting strong letters and picking away rotations.
He's such a bull**** troll. Which top 15 med school doesn't have AOA. Idiots like him are annoying and should be banned.

Educate yourself. There’s a few top schools that discontinued AOA.

They’ve been doing charting outcomes for almost 15 years. You can go stay by stat and see how you line up.

Not to pile on but you post your stats and then say you’re ok with not being at an elite program. You really don’t know how you stack up as an applicant for mid-tier orthotr programs? You’ve either done an astonishing lack of research given where you are in medical school, looking for an online Pat on the back, or trolling.

He's such a bull**** troll. Which top 15 med school doesn't have AOA. Idiots like him are annoying and should be banned.
Many top schools don't have AOA lol Though, I agree that if you're smart enough to get a 267 step, you should be smart enough to know your competitiveness coming from a top school with a 267, all H's and research