Ortho/Gen Surg - Focus on research vs. pre-clinical grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MedIverson

OMS-I
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Current OMS-1 at a DO school. I have an opportunity with a resident to conduct lots of research and publish; however, my school has these preclinical grades: F, P, and top 10%. It's very difficult to get the top 10% (not guaranteed). I was wondering if I should focus more on getting several publications or focusing on getting the top 10% if I'm aiming for a specialty like Ortho.

TDLR: research pubs/EC or top 10%
 
Preclinical grades don't matter (so long as you pass).

Take the research opportunity and run with it. Get top 10% in blocks when you can, but don't lose sleep over not getting it.

Get as many (good) pubs as you can during the first two years, because your time will be limited 3rd year. Your grades 3rd year will matter far more than the preclinical grades do now. No ortho PD cares whether you honored Anatomy first year, but they will care if you don't honor your Surgery rotation(s). You'll be able to squeeze out a couple case reports during your 3rd year, but that'll be about it assuming you're focused on acing your rotations and prepping for the new measuring stick in Step 2. So get the novel project work in now while you can.