Ortho or Uro, where to rotate first

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocEspana

Bullish
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So 3rd year here and I've begun to narrow down my prospective fields. But now I've hit a bit of a conundrum as to what the next step should be. The fields I'm interested in are ortho, uro, ophtho and some others that aren't relevant to this conversation.

My 3rd year wraps up in may, leaving me June free to do an elective. A few hospitals allow 3rd years to rotate in competitive rotations, many dont... but so far testing the water has shown that the hospitals are okay with me rotating in june and calling myself a 4th year since I've done my entire 3rd year by then. Since June is, likely, the least competitive month to get a rotation I want to make sure I aim high and nab a competitive rotation in june when the competition is lower (most 3rd years cant rotate, and most 4th years are taking the month off/doing joke rotations near a beach somewhere). But since I'm pretty equal on all three of these potential fields I have no clue which one is the "best one" to secure a rotation in.

Basically my question is, if I wanted to rotate at a respectable program which of the three specialties would be the hardest to do so at/should I do first since I have this June opportunity.

I'm already at a hospital for the whole 3rd year with an ophtho program that is known for favoring the home team (aka my school) and I recently had a relative go through the residency program. I'm not concerned *right now* about ophtho. Thus why I posed the question title as ortho vs uro, as I'll need to move to a new hospital for those programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.