ORTHO RESIDENCY PLEASE HELP NO RESEARCH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

queenofortho16

Reaction score
Hi Y'all!

So say I hypothetically go to a school with pass/fail and no rankings (UCSF, Harvard, Uconn, Columbia) and I am a 3rd year dental student. I have no research experience but I hold a Masters in Biomedical Science (before coming to dental school). I have some leadership positions and some community service. I think I should have some pretty good letters of rec. I plan on taking the GRE very soon. Do you think I stand any chance of getting into any ortho residencies? I feel hopeless because I hear you're pretty much done for without research, even my own significant other who's a General Dentist told me I'm screwed. PLEASE HELP.

Additionally, which specific programs are least research heavy/dependent?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's better to have some research experience but doesn't mean you won't get in without it.

Members don't see this ad :)
no chance at all if you don't apply so just go for it
personality trumps research experience.
i've met a lot of applicants who have a ton of research accolades yet have zero social skills. automatic rejection in my opinion. research is overrated anyways

Reactions: 1 user
no chance at all if you don't apply so just go for it
personality trumps research experience.
i've met a lot of applicants who have a ton of research accolades yet have zero social skills. automatic rejection in my opinion. research is overrated anyways
thank you! I'd like consider myself a social butterfly and having good people skills!! My only fear is just getting that interview so I can show them.

You can try but it's an uphill battle. All ortho residencies require you to formulate your own research project, submit to IRB, collect data, and perform the data analysis and manuscript writeup. This is especially important in those ortho programs that give an MS (they expect high quality research and probably expect you to be published in a major journal like AJODO). I think programs would prefer residents who have at least some familiarity with the research process so that they won't struggle as much when conducting their own research.

Reactions: 2 users
You can try but it's an uphill battle. All ortho residencies require you to formulate your own research project, submit to IRB, collect data, and perform the data analysis and manuscript writeup. This is especially important in those ortho programs that give an MS (they expect high quality research and probably expect you to be published in a major journal like AJODO). I think programs would prefer residents who have at least some familiarity with the research process so that they won't struggle as much when conducting their own research.
It definitely makes sense! Thank you for your feedback :)

Nothing anyone says is going to change your situation. You are either going to apply this coming cycle with what you already have on your CV or you’re not going to apply. I have no idea what your odds are if you apply. I can, however, tell you your odds if you don’t apply.

Big Hoss

I think it will depend on whether your co-applicants from your own school have research or not. Personally I don't think you are a competitive applicant. Apply broadly including the ones that charge 100k+/yr tuition (will probably cost you close to 10k in application and travel costs). There's always GPR and/or Peds. Is your dad an orthodontist?

Last edited:
I had over a dozen interview invites with no research experience. Yes, some programs only care about research, but those are far from the majority.

I had over a dozen interview invites with no research experience. Yes, some programs only care about research, but those are far from the majority.

Did you have a high class rank? What do you believe allowed you to obtain so many interviews?

Did you have a high class rank? What do you believe allowed you to obtain so many interviews?
My class rank was high and that's definitely the most important thing. I'd say every area of my application besides research was pretty good. I had a lot of community service, some standard leadership positions (nothing too impressive), and chose people for my letters who I thought were invested in my success.

My lack of research did come up in a few of my interviews. I had a lot of hands-on lab training and paper analysis for my undergrad degree so I talked about western blots, tissue culturing, recombination analysis, etc. I feel like a lot of people with "research experience" are basically cleaning glassware to check a box.

My class rank was high and that's definitely the most important thing. I'd say every area of my application besides research was pretty good. I had a lot of community service, some standard leadership positions (nothing too impressive), and chose people for my letters who I thought were invested in my success.

My lack of research did come up in a few of my interviews. I had a lot of hands-on lab training and paper analysis for my undergrad degree so I talked about western blots, tissue culturing, recombination analysis, etc. I feel like a lot of people with "research experience" are basically cleaning glassware to check a box.

Thank you! Do you mind if I PM you? I cannot do that currently.

If you feel you’re not the strongest applicant, and this goes for any post-grad program, you can apply to more programs, apply to “less desirable” programs, or do both.

Big Hoss
any examples of less desirable programs in ortho?? I can't seem to find any outright data on this.

Off topic :
Just out of curiosity, What is the GRE score that ortho programs are looking for?

Sent from my SM-N975U using SDN mobile