1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

ortho

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by songaila, Feb 15, 2007.

1. songaila

2+ Year Member

Can any of you comment on getting hired in the ortho group. How many surgeries a week does the pod do. Does the pod do any primary. Someone mentioned they get a fixed salary. Why the different paying scale?

2. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

Please do a search. this topic has been covered before. if you have questions after reading the old posts then try again.

Not to be blunt or short with you but many people do not like to repost the same thoughts over and over.

3. jonwill

jonwill Podiatrist
    Podiatrist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    All of these things are situation dependent.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cool_vkb

cool_vkb Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Just wondering, did you did any shadowing. Because you will get a lot of your questiosn anwered very easily like Income, job situation, malpractice, etc

5. kelus

kelus super mega fantastic user
    7+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    is it me, or am i sensing alot of hostility toward the guy that asked the questions, they seem like perfectly fine questions to me.
    why even reply just to take a shot at the guy? just move on if it annoys you.

6. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Simply look at this pre-pod forum and half the posts are his they are centered on fairly trite topics and almost seem to me like trolling posts which just kinda reek of the MD-wannabe or anti-pod variety:

"ortho"
    "hospital staff"
    "respect"
    "physician lounge"
    "jobs"

To answer the question:
    If you want to be an orthopaedic surgeon, go to MD school and get great grades and great USMLE. You could also go to DO school and get very very great grades and very very great COMPLEX. Get to know many of "the right people" along the way also. Then do a good ortho residency and a fellowship afterwards.

If you want to be a F&A orthopod, do one of those above MD/DO options, or go to podiatry school and get very great grades, write research, impress at your clerkships, know the right people, and pick a dynamite surgery-heavy residency followed by a fellowship. DPMs practicing in multispecialty groups is getting more and more common, but DPMs in purely orthopaedic surgery groups is still pretty rare (as are those groups - period). It might become more common to see DPMs doing nothing but F&A ortho surgery all day everyday now that residencies have improved, but it's still definetly the exception not the norm.

Pick a program because you like it and will apply yourself, not to get respect or money...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Podman

Podman Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    They are fine questions. However, they've been asked before - and all that krabmas said, was to do a simple search in the forum - i don't think it is unreasonable as she is one of the more respected posters on this forum.

For the OP, I do urge you to do a quick search about your inquiries in this forum, because there should be a wealth of information pertaining to them. As for your question, it depends - the DPM's in ortho groups tend to be quite busy with surgeries without a doubt, but primary care will always remain an important component.