Orthodontic Residency Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mytoothbetold

Tooth Be Told
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! : ) I'm a D1 and I've known that I wanted to be an orthodontist for the longest. I want to ensure that I do everything to prepare for my success and get matched on my first try. Does anyone mind to please share their experience on the application cycle/requirements, how I can prepare, and just what the process is like overall?

Members don't see this ad.

-For your D1 year, I would encourage doing well in your courses. If your school does number ranking then it matters a ton. A lot of candidates I've known in the past/interviewed with were in the top ten of their class. If your school doesn't do ranking then I encourage to do well still because often times the recommendation letter from your school will say if you were "pass" or "pass w/ honors". Something similar to that tune.

-Other point would be getting involved with research, ideally with the ortho department but if not then not the end of the world. Stay involved in various extracurriculars if too (ASDA, ortho club, volunteer, etc).

-Establish relationships with faculty members as you will need a rec letter when you apply. The better they know you, the better the rec letter will come out.

**Not a lot you can prepare for regarding the application process currently. I would pick the brain of an upperclassmen as you enter your D3 year. For now, if there's a pattern I could I see from interviewing at programs is that grades and research matters.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much!! I go to LMU, which just opened so there's not upperclassman just yet. But I will definitely follow what you said! : )

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m curious if LMU will be able to get its first classes matched into competitive residency’s. As it won’t be known how the school fares compared to others. Just keep doing your best in school and try to get good grades. If you can get research experience that will help. Good luck with D1 year!

Thank you!! I had a feeling that might be an issue, but I'm hoping that's not the case. The school is still not known and plenty of people don't know it exists! I'll definitely try to get into research and perhaps an ortho internship or something.

Class ranking super important, at least that’s what I consistently gathered from talking to orthos who I shadowed. Maybe going to a top tier dental school like Columbia makes ranking less important idrk