Orthodontic residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rr2014

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -- i'm looking into applying to ortho residency, I don't have stellar grades, did a year of GPR and have been practicing for almost 2 years now. There are a lot of programs and I want to be smart and cost effective about which programs to apply to. Anyone has any suggestions regarding which programs I should apply to and which ones I should not bother? Would greatly appreciate any help! thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to the most expensive programs...those are likely the ones you'll have a chance at.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi -- i'm looking into applying to ortho residency, I don't have stellar grades, did a year of GPR and have been practicing for almost 2 years now. There are a lot of programs and I want to be smart and cost effective about which programs to apply to. Anyone has any suggestions regarding which programs I should apply to and which ones I should not bother? Would greatly appreciate any help! thanks

I will say at least you did a residency, so that plus work experience does help, especially for programs like the NY hospitals and other places that like work experiences. If you haven't yet, I would try and nail the GRE for the programs that still request it. Honestly, probably one of the best things you could do is to take the ADAT and nail it.. BUT, for being out of school for so long, that would probably be really difficult to study for (I didn't take it) compared to the GRE.

I was in your shoes as well, and it took me 2 cycles to get in. To make up for a so-so rank and being out for a while, I did a lot of research part time while I worked full time, got good letters of rec, nailed the GRE (did not take ADAT), and even still I only got interviews at 2 of the 30-35 places I applied to. It's a very tough road, but if you're really on it then go for it.

Or go back for a 'pay-for' internship.. lots of $$$ and lost opportunity cost, but if your heart is set on it that's probably the best way to go about it.

Reactions: 1 user
I will say at least you did a residency, so that plus work experience does help, especially for programs like the NY hospitals and other places that like work experiences. If you haven't yet, I would try and nail the GRE for the programs that still request it. Honestly, probably one of the best things you could do is to take the ADAT and nail it.. BUT, for being out of school for so long, that would probably be really difficult to study for (I didn't take it) compared to the GRE.

I was in your shoes as well, and it took me 2 cycles to get in. To make up for a so-so rank and being out for a while, I did a lot of research part time while I worked full time, got good letters of rec, nailed the GRE (did not take ADAT), and even still I only got interviews at 2 of the 30-35 places I applied to. It's a very tough road, but if you're really on it then go for it.

Or go back for a 'pay-for' internship.. lots of $$$ and lost opportunity cost, but if your heart is set on it that's probably the best way to go about it.

Are you attending a program with a stipend? And it looks like being out for a while hurts applications?

Yes I am, and it's on the fence if being out for a while helps or hurts with applications. Like I said, some schools appreciate the work experience, while some like to fill with students directly out of dental school. I would say however the part that hurts OP and that hurt me is the lower class rank, as most ortho residencies still use that as the #1 determinant in getting an interview, so he/she's gotta boost their other assets to compensate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user