orthognathic surgery fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMFSwannabe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which are the good orthognathic fellowships. Any idea how supers fellowship at lennox hill hospital.

any info appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know too much about it, but I know it only became a post-OMS fellowship a few years ago. Before summer 2005, the fellow used to be someone trying to get into an ortho program. At that time, the fellow spent the entire year doing all the pre-surgical workups, but now that the fellow is a surgeon maybe they get to operate too.

This ad is on at least 5 different job sites. 125 cases over the entire year? That seems so low. The first statement of the description talks about Dolphin software, which is neat, but I thought the orthodontists use that primarily. They are the ones who are 'prescribing' the advancement and/or setback. Still neat to get proficient in the use of the software prediction.....

Company: Dr. Stuart Super
Title: Fellowships
Description: Center for Dentofacial Deformities and Corrective Jaw Surgery
We are looking for one resident completing his/her OMFS training (6 or 4 year tract) seeking further training. Our surgeon is the Chief of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan, New York City, NY. We are a high profile office with an extensive referral base.

The fellowship would train the surgeon to be proficient in the Dolphin imaging system for treatment planning and morphing of various dentofacial deformities. The selected Fellow would be a co-surgeon in over 125 cases per year in treating complex reconstructive cases as well as Distraction Osteogenesis and TMJ surgeries.

This position would be a PGY 5 or 6 salary. Fellowship Year: July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2010. This would be an invaluable educational experience for anyone looking to add Orthognathic Surgery to their cosmetic or OMFS practice.
Send Resume/CV to:
Dr. Stuart Super
800-A 5th Ave. Suite 101
New York, NY 10065
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 212-772-0300
Fax: 212-535-5270.
Posting Date: Dec 9 08

Members don't see this ad :)
This ad is on at least 5 different job sites. 125 cases over the entire year? That seems so low. The first statement of the description talks about Dolphin software, which is neat, but I thought the orthodontists use that primarily. They are the ones who are 'prescribing' the advancement and/or setback. Still neat to get proficient in the use of the software prediction.....

Others can chime in here, but the prediction software on Dolphin is not that great. It shows a difference in profiles when you move the jaws around or extract teeth, but it is not very good at the soft tissue predictions. Also, I don't think it is that difficult to learn how to use. I haven't used the prediction software much but in playing around it doesn't seem to hard to get the hang of it. I'm not aware of what else is available on the market for prediction software, but most of the patients we encounter in ortho who are diagnosed with skeletal problems usually know there is a problem before they come to the orthodontist and thus their expectations are easier to manage. The impression I got is that "fellowship" was a nice title for the necessary labor to do the model surgeries and pre- & post-surgical workups (photos, models, records, etc.) , but this is from when the fellowship used to be a pre-ortho position rather than a post-OMS one.

Any other good orthognathic fellowships where the fellow actually gets to cut?

Don't know anything about them but there is one at emory (maybe ask shabu about it) and there is one in Charlotte, NC at a big private practice (from what i remember it is called something like univeristy OMFS or something like that) where i think some of the LSU-NO people rotate so maybe they could give you an idea of what goes on with the fellowship. if you hear anything be sure to update us! :)

My friend, who does most of the orthognathic surgeries for my ortho patients, did his orthognathic fellowship at Kaiser Permanante after he finished his OMFS residency. According to him, it is a busy one year program. All he did there were orthognathic surgeries….and he did surgeries every week. My friend really enjoys doing orthognathic surgeries…he doesn't care how much he get paid….he even accepts Medi-Cal.

There are only 2 Kaiser hospitals in southern California that do orthognathic surgeries….one is in Los Angeles (on Sunset Blvd) and the other one is in Anaheim. I've sent a couple of cases to the oral surgeon in Anaheim Kaiser hospital and his works have been excellent.

Why is orthognathic surgery even a fellowship option - shouldn't residents be able to learn this in their training? We diagnose surgery a lot, but our patients don't get it done due to a combination of fear and insurance rejections. From an orthodontic standpoint, I have heard that surgery is done much less frequently these days due to insurance rejections and little profitability/high risk compared to other procedures, so the best option for a patient who might need it is to pay cash at a surgical center type of setting rather than the hospital OR. I wish we could have more surgical cases get approved here, it would mean more experience for us and for OMS.

Along the same lines, we have a plastic surgery attending here (originally OMS trained) who does a bunch of the orthognathic surgeries for our cleft patients. Due to turf issues, these patients never make it to OMS for their surgeries which I think is a shame for the OMS residents. He trains plastic surgery residents and the two I observed during my patient's surgery acted like it was so cool and couldn't wait to learn more on how to do orthognathics and make splints. Why does plastics care? I want someone moving jaws that knows what an occlusion looks like and what a TMJ is. From talking to these plastics residents, they had no idea about either.