OMFS Fellowship Match statistics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AshAndDash

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand this question is geared toward a small audience and may not get an answer here.

Any info on how match percentages for OMFS H&N fellowships? Can’t find any hard data on the AACMFS page.

Also, any advice on matching into one? At a program with minimal research activity, educational guidance or extracurricular community involvement available to participate in. Aka, pretty difficult to beef up a resume.

Members don't see this ad.

It's like 50-60%. The AACMFS releases a newsletter that has that info deeply buried, this is the most recent:

FELLOWSHIP MATCH RESULTS
Out of a total of 37 candidates: • 19 matched;
• 17 got their first choice;
• 2 got their second choice; • 15 did not match;
• 5 withdrew.

Reactions: 1 user
It's like 50-60%. The AACMFS releases a newsletter that has that info deeply buried, this is the most recent:

FELLOWSHIP MATCH RESULTS
Out of a total of 37 candidates: • 19 matched;
• 17 got their first choice;
• 2 got their second choice; • 15 did not match;
• 5 withdrew.
Thank you! Would not have found that on my own!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should reach out to programs that you are interested in around beginning of your 5th or 3rd year depending on the program. It’s a very small community and I would strongly recommend talking to someone who did a H&N fellowship. Things I was told to look out for is a scope of a fellowship some focus mainly on oral cancer/recon and some do full scope H&N with thyroids, skull base, TORS etc. Also some programs you function as an attending while in others more like chief resident. If you look at match results some places take more international applicants that can give you an idea as well. Good luck!

You should reach out to programs that you are interested in around beginning of your 5th or 3rd year depending on the program. It’s a very small community and I would strongly recommend talking to someone who did a H&N fellowship. Things I was told to look out for is a scope of a fellowship some focus mainly on oral cancer/recon and some do full scope H&N with thyroids, skull base, TORS etc. Also some programs you function as an attending while in others more like chief resident. If you look at match results some places take more international applicants that can give you an idea as well. Good luck!
Thanks for the input!

Are ya involved in said community?

I am applying for the coming cycle, feel free to DM me if you have questions.