Orthopedic Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ftbllstd79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it that I do research in the field or orthopedics if I want go into Orthopedic Surgery?

I know it is a hard specialty to get into, and it looks like I won't be able to do research with an actual orthopedic surgeon. I do have the opportunity to do research in the area of pain management. Would that be helpful, or would it be pointless to do that?

Members don't see this ad.

When I was applying for research, I was told I didn't have to do it in ortho necessarily. The doctor told me that I could do radiology stuff, then at interviews explain an ortho twist to it. However, I ended up getting ortho research. I think that pain management would be pertinent to ortho.

I think it depends on the rest of your application. If everything is well polished (good class standing, great step scores, good clinical scores, and good letters) then research is less important. If any of the above is lacking, I figure research will help. I certainly dont think research will pull you out of the gutter though if any of the above are in the ditch...unless you developed like the next best knee or something...

Members don't see this ad :)
Also depends your home institution and where you want to end up for Ortho. Top places are going to get applicants from top schools, with top scores, with top ortho research (brutal field, I commend your interest). If you're REALLY set on ortho, I'd say it definitely helps to do your research pertinent directly to the field.

I had several presentations and publications as a med student, none of which were in Ortho. On interviews, I emphasized that my experience was valuable because it taught me how to conduct research and write scientific papers. This seemed to go over well.

Of course, the major advantage of doing research in the field is the connections you make, not the actual research that you do.

I know someone who took a year off during M2 and M3 to do research for ortho. :scared: That's love.