Orthopedic Surgery Auditions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkuak1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was looking at AOA Ortho programs across the country to do auditions during 4th year. I cant narrow them down. If anyone has insight or advice about any of the following programs, I'd really appreciate it!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=215574067806198703182.0004d2df73406bff17334

I really want to stick to big cities: blue tags. red tags = small towns/far away from big cities.

Some stats: USMLE 1 = 231, COMLEX 1= 541, tutoring experience, 2 research experiences. top half of class. I know my stats arent that great, but I dont want to look back and say I didnt try at least!

If you dont want to discuss it publicly, please PM me!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Orthogate.org. Ask your upperclassmen. Search both SDN and Orthogate for reviews. Narrow down where you want to be; choose rotations.

Thanks for that link! Lots of good forums. The thing about upperclassmen is that there has only been 3 students in the last 4 YEARS that have gone into AOA ortho. I've emailed them... Waiting for replies. Will post their input here .

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I was looking at AOA Ortho programs across the country to do auditions during 4th year. I cant narrow them down. If anyone has insight or advice about any of the following programs, I'd really appreciate it!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=215574067806198703182.0004d2df73406bff17334

I really want to stick to big cities: blue tags. red tags = small towns/far away from big cities.

Some stats: USMLE 1 = 231, COMLEX 1= 541, tutoring experience, 2 research experiences. top half of class. I know my stats arent that great, but I dont want to look back and say I didnt try at least!

If you dont want to discuss it publicly, please PM me!

Thanks
Having just gone through this process let me tell you it's frustrating since the audition rotation is heavily weighted. I spent hours and hours researching every program talking to residents and directors. Nightmare!

The best advice, in all honesty, is to focus on places where your scores will not deter you. Unfortunately some of the places you highlighted wont consider a score on the comlex less than 600. With Ortho you take what you can get.

So having said that here is my step by step review of choosing a place to audition
1- email the program's student director and explain who you ask and ask if a resident would be willing to chat with you. Eliminate programs with board score requirements higher than yours (if there is a rumor that they do, then it's most likely true even though they won't admit it). You may get an audition there but don't waste those precious weeks. Focus on high probability auditions.
2- if you get no response cross them out
3- chat with resident and ask honest questions about board scores(ask what there average is), life as a resident, operating experience, research experience, positives and negatives about programs. I spoke to over 15 residents and eliminated many based on their answers (example= Dayton ranks solely on boards- i checked them off immediately) have a list of "musts" and "it would be nice if they have this"
4- take your list and prioritize it- then send out rotation requests with specific dates. Make sure to have backups and do this early like December/January
5- be nice to all the contacts and take dates they have. You need to be flexible. I put the programs I was super interested in towards the end of rotation season so I was more experienced and looked better. I also chose a combo of 4 and 2 week rotations so I rotated through 6 programs.
6- say thank you a bazillion times to the student directors and they will really help you out. You won't believe how many students feel entitled and treat them like dirt.

Next thing is work your but off on rotation and work side by side with the other students helping each other out, it will make everyone look better. Focus on anatomy/exposure and fracture classification of hip, ankle, wrist. Tolerances are also heavily asked. Knowing more is great but the three I mentioned are must know cold! I should really talk more about this as I saw many students blow their chances by doing some dumb things on audition.

I chose programs to rotate based on operating experience and resident life, location was secondary to me- I just wanted to be a good surgeon and not sit around my first 2-3 years watching seniors operate or fellows- which happens at a lot of programs(doctors in Columbus as one). You can get these answered on the phone if you do it right.

I applied to 15 programs, got 7 interviews and matched Modesto my first choice. My scores were good with comlex I at 649 and II at 653, top 10% of class. I say that not to brag but to point out that even with decent scores I didn't get an interview at some places or was told they would not match me high enough at places I did interview. Very competitive and very stressful. Students who had awesome scores did not match this year because they didn't choose audition rotations right in my opinion. In the immortal words of the knight Templar in Indiana jones- choose wisely

Anything else let me know. I hated that no one seemed have have any answers for me so I'm willing to help out. Heck I should just write a book about it.

Disclaimer: these are my personal opinions and I'm sure someone will be upset at something I said. Every program has its benefit and its finding the right one for you. For me it was Modesto!! Can't wait to get out there this summer.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Orthojoe,

I'm glad everything worked out for you. How did you study for Comlex 2?

Comlex tests are the biggest joke in the world. In reality it is so nutty there is no good way to study for it. It is such a frustrating test. So I studied for USMLE instead and hoped it would translate over. The only strictly thing I did for COMLEX was savarese and I took one comsae.

I hold the philosophy of a little bit over a long time consistently is best. I hate cramming as you end up forgetting it. So I started in December and did UWorld questions 20-30 non timed with explanations a day. I chose questions that focused on the particular rotation I was on also. Like when I was on OB I focused on questions in OB. It helped for my shelf exams as well. I took notes organized by topics so I could review later

Used first aid step 2. I hated step up to medicine as it was too vague. Again studied the chapters for the specific rotation I was on. I made flash cards of hot topics or topics I kept getting wrong on the questions.

Kaplan master the boards is the last book to do. It is concise and goes specifically over "what's the next step" type questions. These are the questions with a lot of ambiguity but this book makes it very clear. You'll get the gold standard tests for all the diseases which in reality no doctor does them but they test on them. This I felt put it all together.

Studied savarese two days before comlex. Reviewed my notes the week before test. I also took USMLE two weeks before so I really didn't do much studying in between. Again the comlex is so obscure and I felt like I wasted months of studying for it. I could have taken it in January and got the same score.

Oh I think taking it right after ending your 3rd year clinical a is best.

So i have had a few PMs about audition rotations - figured Id just do a general post for everyone to see. As before this is my own opinion. Its gathered from hours of research, talking to residents and other students, program directors and ancillary staff. Some of it may be true, some may not, but its the best I could do on limited resources out there. here is a review of every program I thoroughly researched.

- no response means I couldn't get any solid information from them or speak to a resident -

Riverside: a community program with high volume and case load. Residents state they have early OR experience. I originally had them scheduled for an audition based on their early operating experience however after a few close friends of mine rotated their I cancelled it. The predominant statement was they were at the hospital all day long and the residents expected them to be there even if nothing was going on - which happened frequently so students ended up just sitting there (a big pet peeve of mine). It was also rumored that the residents were have some internal conflicts between each other. I highly trusted one student who said the program was "sour" and residents werent happy when compared to other ortho residents

Modesto: new program starting this year associated with Midwestern. I was interested in it due to the community/smaller hospital feel and being a new class you get primary OR experience. I rotated here and loved it. The attendings are awesome and for the first time I actually felt like they wanted me there. phenom cases with crazy messed up totals from county. They have hospital based PAs to work with who like to teach and are super nice which means less scut work and more OR time. the hospital staff is bending over backwards right now to make students feel at home. we ran two rooms every day and hit 10-13 cases. outpatient surg center right next to hospital. Call nights were mellow while I was there. Con is its a new program so there will be some growing pains. Out rotations for pediatrics. Level II trauma center so you wont get some of the big cases (acetabular/pelvic fractures) - however I'm going to solve this and I spoke with Dr Trzeciak (PD) and he is motivated to make sure we get some good trauma. Local arthrex office near by to due cadaveric scopes. I truly feel this program will be THE program in the west. Im sure gonna try and make it as such.

Corvalis: this is their fourth year. I hear nothing but good from students and interns. They are applied to heavily. It is rumored you need over 600 to get an audition,, well I had 650s on both and didn't get an audition so not sure. Lots of respect for this program. work with Oregon st university. in interview trail I was told they already have their minds made up before interview and they tell the applicants where they will rank.

Broward: one of my buddies matched here, good cases and high volume. Ft lauderdale is the bomb as well (i grew up there). Had an audition set up here but canceled it when the modesto program could only fit me during this time.

largo, FL - I got no response- scratched them off
olympia fields: no response
** caveat for michigan programs. I spoke to several residents who said it may be in my best interest to NOT rotate through a michigan program because of michigan state - gunners are rotating through there day one of med school so others are at a disadvantage.whether this is true or not i dont know but i chose to follow the residents advice and scratched all of michagin off.
henry ford: no response and other students i spoke with that rotated here said it was 5-6 scrubbed in on each case
botsford: another friend of mine matched here, but I got no response. rumored to be a high stress program
Garden city: no response, rumored to be great for trauma but highly competitive
Genesys: no response, rumored to be highly competitive
St johns - no response
St marys - i marked them off after speaking to a few interns who said they are heavily board focused. I dont like this because I've met plenty of students with high board scores that I thought were terrible doctors.
Des peres: super interested in this program, they seem to be well put together but again board scores heavily weighted so I scratched them off the list.
stratford, NJ: good program, high volume. I didnt rotate here but got an interview. I ended up not going since i was told they have never matched someone who had not rotated there. didnt want to waste the money
vineland, NJ: spoke to a resident who stated case load was high, OR time was good but a few bumps being a new program in academics.

las vegas: rotated here. i chose them because of the high case volume but valley hospital worried me due to it being the "little sister" of hospitals (all major trauma goes to hospital next door). There is definitely high case volume, the highest of any place I've heard or spoken to students/residents with. The program director would have 20 cases lined up and we'd bang them out with two rooms. awesome to see the efficiency. Also the only program to have on staff ortho oncology - which I did a few days with and i was dumbfounded how awesome and cool ortho onc is. I may do this as a fellow because of this experience. sports guy on staff was great for learning injections. lots of MMA fighters. I had them at my #2 spot mainly because the PD is crazy and often asserts his "dominance" - I got along with him well but couldnt see myself wanting to be like him. Little crude for me as well. But a solid program and will be a top tier place I think. Vegas is fun too!

brooklyn: no response
plainview: no repsonse

doctors in columbus: i spoke to two residents and their information was well organized and put together. I did 2 weeks here and enjoyed most days. however the operative experience was weak and at doctors it seemed all we did was abscess D&C. the interns rarely saw the inside of the OR. associated with Trauma I center downtown which saw awesome cases however the fellow had 1st assist most times. Best didactics by far and the residents know their stuff - more so than most I think. Good focus on research as well. Again though, i didnt feel they were producing good surgeons. However because of their good didactics they have a high fellowship placement. I saw a senior (5th year who is going to do foot/ankle fellowship) take 2.5 hours on a weber B, he couldnt get good fracture fixation and lag screw placed inappropriately. the attending finally came in and within 5 minutes case was done. Interviewed here and it was NUTS!! huge test and 12 mini-interviews. I did not rank them at the end. PD also tells you were you rank. I was told I was among the numbers 10-15 on their list.

Western reserve:no response but was told by many students they crank out the scopes and are awesome at sports

St Josephs: by far the best hidden gem out there. I did 4 weeks here and met some of the coolest guys. operative experience is by far the best (besides modesto). the 4th and 5th years run the show andn the attendings just sit back. So cool to see the confidence in the residents. work at trauma I 15 minutes south (St Es) and had phenom cases. as a 2nd and third you do a lot there. Call night was crazy! saw some of the coolest stuff during this rotation and it helped me build a solid foundation of ortho. hit me hard on how to read films but they taught me well. Only one attending was "hard" on students, he would ask a question that no one could understand what he really was trying to get at - but he expected you to know. Didactics weak however the OR time makes up for it. the area is just super small. I would have ranked them behind modesto, however the PD lets the students know if they are top two or not. One of my best buds matched here and he will become a great surgeon. The 2 and 3rd year residents are a bit too much for me and had a bit of an attitude but everyone else was just awesome. Rotate here if you can!

Dayton - heavy on boards so I scartched them off the list.
Affinity: on response
Toldeo: heavy on boards so I scratched them off the list
Oklahoma city: rotated here, was not a good experience. case volume was low and the residents seemed "put out" by having students. didactics weak and I wasn't impressed with any of the attendings. I had high hopes for this program. Maybe it was a bad 2 weeks for volume at this time. the residents do have good autonomy and they seem to know what they are doing though. Its at a free standing ortho hospital so its nice when the staff knows whats going on.

Tulsa: lost funding

PCOM: really thought about going here as they have on paper one of the best curriculum working with some top notch doctors. But in the end I decided against it due to some other students who had rotated there, they state that the interns do little ortho and are more of a glorified IM doc their first year. They have high fellowship placement as well.

if your are a third year dont have your rotations set up - start TOMORROW!! you most likely will be scrambling for some of these spots as they fill up quickly.

As to whether your competitive or not - your scores only get you in the door at most places. its the audition that makes or breaks you. one of my friends had a high 400 comlex and matched - but thats because hes a stud and worked his ACE off and knew his material. The guy is gonna be a great surgeon.

Reactions: 1 user
Orthojoe's posts are golden.... I was one of the very fortunate guys who got a spot, and I was almost without a spot with a mid 600 score.

As joe stated, choose wisely. I was very fortunate to have 22 weeks of ortho rotations so I checked out 6 programs. I was given great feedback at almost every program and yet was given only 1 offer at the end. It was just ridiculously competitive. I thought I was fairly competitive and knew my **** quite a bit, but there were phenomenal candidates out there. In the end, it comes down to what programs you rotate at. Some programs for whatever reason attract a ton of rotators. Doctor's for example rotated around 100 guys with interviewing 34 for 5 spots. Harrisburg rotated around 80, same for Chicago. The best thing you can do is to rotate at programs that limit rotators. In order to get dibs on these programs, you have to be on top of your game so you can get a rotation. There were programs that I was very interested in rotating but couldn't get a rotation as they filled within hours of accepting audition applications. So yeah choose wisely. Ask them how many guys rotate/how many interviewed. Ask about number of spots.

I already shared my opinion on the programs I rotated at on orthogate.com. I'd be happy to answer any questions that come my way. Remember, any spot is good spot, so don't be that idiot who rotates based off location and in the end is without a spot. Met a few guys who did that, smart guys with high scores but they underestimated how competitive this ortho game is.

doctors in columbus: ...... and 12 mini-interviews. I did not rank them at the end. PD also tells you were you rank. I was told I was among the numbers 10-15 on their list.

As to whether your competitive or not - your scores only get you in the door at most places. its the audition that makes or breaks you. one of my friends had a high 400 comlex and matched - but thats because hes a stud and worked his ACE off and knew his material. The guy is gonna be a great surgeon.

I would go against this advice 100% (bolded). Basically to me that's saying, I'd rather scramble for a FM/IM spot than become an orthopaedic surgeon.

Last paragraph = 100% true. Audition > everything else (at most places); obv having a complete package (hard worker, high boards, high class rank, ect) is the best :smuggrin:

I would go against this advice 100% (bolded). Basically to me that's saying, I'd rather scramble for a FM/IM spot than become an orthopaedic surgeon.

Last paragraph = 100% true. Audition > everything else (at most places); obv having a complete package (hard worker, high boards, high class rank, ect) is the best :smuggrin:
I agree whole heartedly- however when a PD tells you that your going to be ranked 10 spots away from the amount of accepted residents, and you happen to know the top choices (in this case 5 guys) who have told me its their top choice; there really is no point.

But yes you are correct. Not ranking a program is stupid.

So would you apply to and rank pretty much every program? I'm just a first year so not to familiar with how the application process works with residency. I know you most likely won't match somewhere you don't rotate, but would you apply to those places still?

I would echo Orthojoe's advice and awesome that he put all the info about programs on here. Ive also put reviews of the places that I rotated at on Orthogate. I rotated at but didn't review doctors since it would basically be repeating the same thing already stated. But just quick reviews:

Riverside: exactly what Orthojoe said. Only place with soft goodbyes "nothing going so you can go home...or you can stay if you want." And they would expect you to stay and waste your time. Have heard from other students that they were the busiest at this place so I think it varies greatly. PD also varies in his attitude

Doctors: residents all very knowledgable and expected the same from students. Mixed on the attendings though trauma guys seem to be the highlight of the group. I thought didactics were a waste. One long day a week that had residents giving lengthy lectures and trauma attendings berating the interns. It was good to get attending perspective. But also at times it became a "this study vs. this study" between the seniors. Also thought seniors were way behind in the OR.

KC (St. Mary's): mostly general ortho with added focus on total joints. A few attendings think they are total joint guys, maybe true, but definitely not adult recon guys. Best lifestyle since call is non existent it seems like. Mix of good and bad attendings, but most laid back residents. What happens with the sell of St. Mary's to HCA??

OKC: I couldn't disagree more with Orthojoe here. I thought didactics were great (though lots of slide reading by reesidents) and pertinent HY facts. Trauma conference was good as there was attending interaction and gave students a chance to "shine". Some days were kind of thrown together but it's everyday instead of one day a week. Best attendings of any place I went, PD is also most down to earth. For me the most "safe" autonomy anywhere (Riverside you basically get own room as PGY3!!). Most confident and well trained seniors that will have 3500+ cases logged by graduation.

In general: each program is different and will appeal to different people. You have to find your fit. I felt Doctors was the only "academic" program I went to but lacked OR experience. Riverside had great trauma and early peds exposure but little sports or joints (done separately at Kaiser). KC was good bread and butter program but education varied a great deal depending on attending. And OKC for me had the most OR experience but really lacks clinic (0.5 days a week). So find out what you can from past students and residents and cater your rotations accordingly.

TIPS-
1) Board heavy places: Toledo, Grandview, Des Peres, Corvalis??
2) Audition rotations are the most important factor (unless going to above places)
3) Handbook of Fractures is a must!!! (femoral neck, distal radius, ankle)
4) Know your anatomy (Netter Orthopedics)
5) Work hard on rotations, be polite, remember names, know where you should be, be on time, do not speak unless spoken to, brush up on classic rock music "who sings this?"
6) Spend time practicing for your interview
7) Try to schedule rotations first of the year in Jan
8) "prerank" your programs and rotate in reverse order (i.e. #4 rotate in July, #1 rotate in Oct/early Nov)
9) Save money for auditions ($400-$500 to stay with a resident or other, food, etc..)
10) Save money for interviews
11) Enjoy yourself, ortho is f'n awesome!!

Number 6 for me was real important. My first interview was at Doctor's and was placed in the 10-15 group. Devastated but had three more interviews left so I borrowed an interview book (up to this point I just rehearsed the "typical questions" in my head). After reading a few chapters I couldn't believe I even ranked at Doctor's. Many of my answers were not well thought out or conveyed the wrong message. I was "ranked to match" at the last three programs I interviewed at.

Stats

COMLEX I-564 II-546
USMLE I-228 II-232
Top 25% honored both surg and both IM
One year of research in anatomy btw 3rd and 4th year (one pub at interview time but was only asked about it at two of the four places and the second was just in passing)
4 interview offers, went on 4, ranked to match at 3 places.

So I didn't have the typical SDN, what a my chance with 4 pubs and a 756??? If thats you, thats awesome and you will have many more opportunities to match than most. But again scores are just a foot through the door, your rotation is the most important. PM if you have any questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Programs that are heavy on boards:

Toledo
Doctors
Grandview
Des Peres
St. John Oakland
Corvalis
UMDNJ Stratford
Memorial, York
Harrisburg
Plainview (took a guy with 700+ who I thought wouldn't get in anywhere, just based on his scores)
Broward

You basically need a 600+ to have a shot at these programs. That doesn't mean you'll get a spot by any means, because your rotation will be the determinig factor. IMO, board scores help you quite a bit. When programs have 30+ guys rotating, and there are 5-8 guys that really did well, programs then go by board scores as to who to rank higher. I will admit that I am a terrible interviewer so that may have some thing to do with me having only 1 offer as opposed to Wozo30's 3. I did get great feedback on my rotations though (best student to rotate yet, blah blah) but I think I bombed my interviews.

I applied to every program, rotated at 6, got 9 interviews, went to 5, got 1 highly likely to match call and one likely to match call in the end. Just feel very fortunate to get a spot. Step 1 was between 625-650.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll add some general information about ortho aways since I matched military. The system works similar to DO programs so auditions are key. Obviously knowing your anatomy and fracture/trauma stuff is very important. Read up on the cases the night before.

1) Don't just sit there in the OR. Be proactive. If you have seen a bunch of shoulder/knee scopes you should know the process. I would make sure to be a step ahead and have the trocar/probe/shaver ready to pass when needed or I would place a hand on the medial knee to help gap the lateral side. Small things like this go a long way. It shows you are paying attention and are quick to catch on. If you are in an OR where the scrub tech gets pissed if you touch the mayo, obviously you won't be handing off instruments. This was never a problem at any of the places I was at.

Also help bring the patient into the room, help them transfer to the OR table, take the bed out of the room, help tape/shave/prep/drape the patient. When the case is over, help take down the drapes, grab the bed and bring it in, help transfer the patient, help wheel the patient to the PACU. There was one time I shaved/prepped and draped the patient, with the help of the scrub tech, before the resident was even in the room. Granted it was a simple ankle scope and we had done a few before that, but it impressed the resident. Now I wouldn't do that with every resident I was with but this particular resident was pushing me to be more proactive and do more things in the OR.

2) I made sure I was rarely seen on my cell phone. If I wasn't doing anything, I was reading one of my ortho books (Netters or Handbook). I heard too many stories about students being on their phones in the OR when not scrubbed. I was not going to let myself be one of those stories.

3) You are on a 14-28 day interview. Everything you do or don't do from the time you arrive on day 1 until the time you leave for your next rotation is scrutinized. On the very last day of a rotation, we were done somewhat early and decided to go into another room to watch a case. During it, I was "asked" to scrub in and help retract/hold a leg. Even though it was close to the end of my last day, I scrubbed in and stayed late to help out. It would've looked bad had I passed on it, even though I had done well the prior 27 days.

4) Be friendly and get along with the other students, residents and attendings. It seems weird to think that some students don't fit in or get along with others but I had residents tell me there were a lot of "oddballs" on service with me. If the residents ask you to grab a beer or come to one of their houses for a bbq/dinner, do it even if you are tired. It's a chance to get to know one another outside the hospital. After all, they want to find people they can be close knit with for 1-5 years and you should want to do the same.

On the same token, try not to make a giant ass out of yourself. Don't get wasted with the residents. Don't get in trouble. Try your best not to get a negative reputation. Everything in moderation.

5) Ortho is awesome. You get to do some really cool, fun stuff. The patients are usually really happy with the outcomes from surgery. The people who go into it are fun to be around. You may work a lot of hours but it's worth it. The hours seem to go by a lot faster when you are doing something you thoroughly enjoy.

Long time lurker but I feel like I have to put in my two cents on the matter. I don't think people realize how competitive it is out there. It really is all about at least showing your face at a program for a couple weeks. Many places will NOT interview you without rotating. People on here always say that but say there are exceptions if you have high scores. Well this isn't really the case. Thanks to my school I was only able to rotate 3 places and luckily matched at my #1. Here are my stats...

COMLEX I: near 800 II: near 700
USMLE I and II: 250s

I applied to 18 places and got 5 interview invites, matched at top choice.

I feel like I could have gotten more interviews in the allo match to be honest. It all worked out but to all the 3rd years, set up your auditions early and get to as many places as you can.

So would it be a dumb move to do a rotation at a place for 4 weeks as a third year then go back during actual "audition season" for an actual audition at a place you really want to end up? I would still do two other 4 week auditions at other places. It's just I was able to call the rotation sports med instead of surgery. Just hoping it doesn't end up hurting more than helping. Any thoughts?

So would it be a dumb move to do a rotation at a place for 4 weeks as a third year then go back during actual "audition season" for an actual audition at a place you really want to end up? I would still do two other 4 week auditions at other places. It's just I was able to call the rotation sports med instead of surgery. Just hoping it doesn't end up hurting more than helping. Any thoughts?

If it is at the tail end, you can use it as an audition, Michigan programs interview early so you can count a may/june rotation for audition. This way you can get your foot in at 4 programs. I think you really should think about rotating at more than 3 programs, I am being dead serious when I say this, it's extremely competitive... and pick you rotations wisely as others are saying here.

I'll add some general information about ortho aways since I matched military. The system works similar to DO programs so auditions are key. Obviously knowing your anatomy and fracture/trauma stuff is very important. Read up on the cases the night before.

1) Don't just sit there in the OR. Be proactive. If you have seen a bunch of shoulder/knee scopes you should know the process. I would make sure to be a step ahead and have the trocar/probe/shaver ready to pass when needed or I would place a hand on the medial knee to help gap the lateral side. Small things like this go a long way. It shows you are paying attention and are quick to catch on. If you are in an OR where the scrub tech gets pissed if you touch the mayo, obviously you won't be handing off instruments. This was never a problem at any of the places I was at.

Also help bring the patient into the room, help them transfer to the OR table, take the bed out of the room, help tape/shave/prep/drape the patient. When the case is over, help take down the drapes, grab the bed and bring it in, help transfer the patient, help wheel the patient to the PACU. There was one time I shaved/prepped and draped the patient, with the help of the scrub tech, before the resident was even in the room. Granted it was a simple ankle scope and we had done a few before that, but it impressed the resident. Now I wouldn't do that with every resident I was with but this particular resident was pushing me to be more proactive and do more things in the OR.

2) I made sure I was rarely seen on my cell phone. If I wasn't doing anything, I was reading one of my ortho books (Netters or Handbook). I heard too many stories about students being on their phones in the OR when not scrubbed. I was not going to let myself be one of those stories.

3) You are on a 14-28 day interview. Everything you do or don't do from the time you arrive on day 1 until the time you leave for your next rotation is scrutinized. On the very last day of a rotation, we were done somewhat early and decided to go into another room to watch a case. During it, I was "asked" to scrub in and help retract/hold a leg. Even though it was close to the end of my last day, I scrubbed in and stayed late to help out. It would've looked bad had I passed on it, even though I had done well the prior 27 days.

4) Be friendly and get along with the other students, residents and attendings. It seems weird to think that some students don't fit in or get along with others but I had residents tell me there were a lot of "oddballs" on service with me. If the residents ask you to grab a beer or come to one of their houses for a bbq/dinner, do it even if you are tired. It's a chance to get to know one another outside the hospital. After all, they want to find people they can be close knit with for 1-5 years and you should want to do the same.

On the same token, try not to make a giant ass out of yourself. Don't get wasted with the residents. Don't get in trouble. Try your best not to get a negative reputation. Everything in moderation.

5) Ortho is awesome. You get to do some really cool, fun stuff. The patients are usually really happy with the outcomes from surgery. The people who go into it are fun to be around. You may work a lot of hours but it's worth it. The hours seem to go by a lot faster when you are doing something you thoroughly enjoy.
Right on bleeker, good stuff. I will echo everything he/she said. Some more things to add.

(1) - be in the room before the resident an attending. Start the initial prepping with the staff such as shaving and cleaning the area, actually start before that. Transfer the patient. I became friends with the anesthesiologist and would place the leads and help intubate.( I actually did my first intubation on a 3rd year Ortho rotation the guy was hugely obese and was kept at a 45% angle while I intubated him. Yea I failed and put the tube in the stomach but hey they gave me a shot and I wasn't even on their service). Place the arm boards, and SCDs, help place the foley. Do it all- it's the same thing over and over so it's easy to learn.

(2) always carry sterile gloves with you so in the OR you can hold a limb while they prep. Pay close attention to how every attending likes to drape. If you know it perfectly then help out with having the tourniquet and u drapes ready.

(3) know the residents glove sizes! Make sure the scrub tech is prepared for everyone. Get the gown and gloves before the attending is even in the room. I did this while the attendings and residents were dictating post op notes.

(4) do all the above even if you are not scrubbing in!! If another student is scrubbing in step up and do the work so the other student can get scrubbed and dressed. No attending should wait on a student or slowed down while the scrub tech is trying to dress you.

(5) pull up film if they have EMR in the OR which most places should. Know what the film says, know how to read it and know the basic surgical approach.

(6) stay actively engaged the whole case. Identify the anatomy in your mind and quiz yourself while watching. Make note of differences between attendings and soon you'll see pros and cons of each of their skill sets. I have gobs of notes on tips and techniques I thought were great that I'll try as a resident.

(7) don't make up an answer or argue when being pimped. Best to say I don't know but I will tomorrow than bumble through a lame answer. Don't ask questions to show off your knowledge. Stupid way to get pimped harder as residents and attendings pick up on that quickly. Only ask legitimate questions.

(8)offer to take the pager calls while the resident is operating. Only do this if u feel confident in gathering the right information.

(9) have gloves on at the end of the case to break sterile drapes. Residents shouldn't have to clean up. Our job as students is to make sure they focus on the patients. Bring in the bed when sterile drapes and surgical wrapping applied, transfer tthe patient. Have tape ready for final dressing security no always kept surgical tape, scissors and gloves on me. Morning rounds i usually added island dressings.

(10) walk with staff and patient to PACU then go back to OR and offer to help turn over unless your resident likes you to dictate or write notes. Most of the time I saw students just hang out in the lounge. Not me. I wanted everyone in the hospital asking for me to be a resident. Yea sometimes I didn't do this but I tried in most places. Got turned down a lot or we hit a consult or the floor after OR

I'm sure I'm missing stuff but that's all I can think of. Yes it sounds like crazy butt kissing but only if you do it to impress. I actually wanted to learn the process and wanted to help. Residents were nicer when I tried to make their lives easier and working together as students I made some of the coolest friends.

ie shout out to Nate, Neal, Sam, Matt, Phil: you guys are studs and glad you all matched!

WOW..this is golden

you guys rock!!

can we do this for all positions?!! ahhha

I was born and raised in Southern California my whole life and pretty set on finding jobs in the area after residency. I will also have a family during residency. My question is if it's not a good idea to plan my whole audition schedule with a west coast bias.

I'm currently scheduled at Riverside, Modesto, Ventura, Vegas, and PCOM. I am considering canceling out PCOM because I really don't see myself going there because of location. The other programs, besides Riverside, are all new programs and I feel I'll have a competitive shot solely on numbers. The one thing I'm worried about is that I'll be sacrificing established quality of training for location.

I know I'm thinking way ahead and "any spot is a good spot." I'm asking this now because it affects how I schedule my auditions. Am I making a mistake by weighing location so heavily?

I think you should rotate where you think you will have a chance and where you want to be. You'll be asked about the area and if you could see yourself living there, might be hard to get excited about Philly being from SoCal. I'm from the Midwest and stuck to all Midwest except for Riverside. It's a good program just not what I was looking for, but it honestly was ranked last for me based on the distance from home. I don't know what will happen with the new accreditation standards and the newer DO residencies vs. established residencies. IMO ortho will be safe regardless. So do you research and see if you like what you hear for those places close to home. And if you're still worried about it, check out the OH and MI programs that might be a little closer. Or FL which might not have the weather shock!!

thanks everyone for the awesome advice/ insight.

my biggest fear is to go through all this and still not match. I love ortho and have gotten a great rec letter for it and another on the way. my step 1 scores are whats making me doubt myself.
Everyone i'm taking to that has matched has 600+ step 1. i basically have 5 elective months from june-december. was thinking of doing 3 in ortho and 2 in general surgery. or should i put all my eggs in the ortho basket and hope for the best? any advice is highly appreciated.

my biggest fear is to go through all this and still not match. I love ortho and have gotten a great rec letter for it and another on the way. my step 1 scores are whats making me doubt myself.
Everyone i'm taking to that has matched has 600+ step 1. i basically have 5 elective months from june-december. was thinking of doing 3 in ortho and 2 in general surgery. or should i put all my eggs in the ortho basket and hope for the best? any advice is highly appreciated.

Odds are stacked against you but it can be done, n=2 but I know two guys this year that matched with step 1 less than 500. You have to find the right programs to rotate at and not waste your time with programs that like high boards.

Giving up 2 rotations in Ortho for gen surg is crazy to me! If you really love Ortho why not ALL IN!!!

If you happen not to match do a research year, pad your résumé and then re- apply. Give it your all. Let gen surg be your last choice. I'm assuming you are choosing gen surg because u like to operate. I love ORTHO OR and hate gen surg OR, such a diff patient base and population. If I had to would have done either FM,IM, Ped so I could go on and do a sports med fellow and work in the Ortho field reading films, dx muscular problems, etc, - plus tons of procedures like prolo, PRP, GH and stem cell injections. Thats what I'm talking about. Ortho is just the bomb.

Having a back up take up 2 precious months of Ortho is nuts to me. In fact you could potentially hit 4 auditions.

My buddy matched Ortho with step one in low 500s. Lowest mathig comlex in 2011 was 498 and average was around 540 ish(see AOA matching report).

"Make no small plans for they have no magic to stir men's souls"

Dude u got it. Forget ur boards and read read read, practice films and watch vumedi on hot topics. . PM me your email and I'll send you a list of the most important things in handbook to know that r asked frequently. Relax, u can do it. Hit me up anytime for advice- not if your half way though. COMMITT!!

If you want to do ortho, rotate in ortho. If you want to do GS, rotate in GS. Many students would give anything to be able to do 5 months of ortho auditions. I feel applying to two different specialties takes away from both apps, keeping you from having an excellent application in either specialty. If ortho is what you want to do in life, drop the backup plan and gun for ortho. If I didn't match this year, I would've reapplied until I eventually matched or decided to get out of medicine altogether. I don't want to do a non-surgical specialty like sports med. I couldn't stand going through an FP residency to get there. If I was forced to do non-surgical primary care I would've done peds but for different reasons. I just liked being around kids (in a non-creepy sort of way) and I'm thinking about doing a peds fellowship because of it. I don't really like many of the other surgical specialties either, but could do a GS residency if I had to. Bottom line: figure out what you want to do in life and run with it.

Just make sure you do well on level 2 CE.

too many PMs - so here is the list of what I feel is most important in handbook for auditions when it comes to questions I was asked over and over.

1. Section I: General Considerations - most of it is not very high yield; focus on following points
a. Open Fractures
i. Table 3.2
b. Muscle Viability
i. Table 3.4
2. Section 2: Axial Skeleton Fractures - again, not very high yield for ortho auditions
a. Chance, Compression, Burst, and Jefferson fractures
b. know diagram on p. 137
3. Section 3: Upper Extremity Fractures and Dislocations
a. Allman classification (p. 145)
i. Look at Tarascon's for Neer modification
b. AC joint (p. 154)
i. Table 12.1 and Figure 12.3
c. Hill-Sachs, HAGL, and Bankart lesions (p. 174)
d. Proximal humerus fractures (p. 194)
i. displacing forces (figure 15.1)
e. Holstein Lewis type fractures (p. 211)
f. Tolerances of humeral shaft fractures (p. 206)
g. Circle of Hori (p. 232-233)
h. Terrible triad of elbow - radial head fx, coronoid fx, and elbow dislocation
i. Radial Head - Mason classification (p. 250-252)
j. Bado classification (Figure 21.2)
k. Galiazzi and Monteggia (p. 267)
l. Frykman (p. 273)
m. Smith/Barton's (p. 274)
n. Scaphoid fx
i. blood supply of scaphoid (p. 288-289)
o. Triquetrum fx - classically seen on lateral xray as a fleck on dorsum of hand
p. "Terry Thomas sign" (p. 302)
q. Boxer's fx (5th metacarpal neck)
r. Bennet, Rolando (p. 312-313)
s. Stener lesion (Figure 24.9)
4. Section 4: Lower Extremity Fractures and Dislocations
a. Young and Burgess (Figure 25.6)
b. Vascular supply of femoral head (Figure 27.3)
c. Femoral neck fractures - Pauwel and Garden (p. 381-383)
d. Evans intertrochanteric fx (Figure 30.1)
e. Patellar fractures (p. 441)
f. Patellar radiographic lines (p. 446)
g. Schatzker classification (Figure 36.1)
h. Danis-Weber classification (Figure 38.8)
i. Lauge-Hansen (p. 485)
j. Ruedi and Allgower (p. 493, Figure 38.10)
k. Pilon fx (p. 495)
l. Calcaneal fx
i. radiographic lines/angles (Figures 39.1 and 39.2)
ii. Sander's (p. 513-514)
m. Hawkin's classes and sign (p. 522)
n. Lisfranc injury (p. 541-548)
o. Jones fx, (p. 551)
i. know what a true zone 2 is
5. Section 5: Pediatric Fractures and Dislocations
a. Salter-Harris type I - V (p. 567)
b. Gartland (p. 605-606)
c. Physeal fractures of lateral condyle (p. 609)
d. Juvenile Tillaux fx (Figure 51.3)

note: credit to many students that contributed to this list as I asked other fellow ortho students what they frequently were asked at each ortho audition.

If you want to do ortho, rotate in ortho. If you want to do GS, rotate in GS. Many students would give anything to be able to do 5 months of ortho auditions. I feel applying to two different specialties takes away from both apps, keeping you from having an excellent application in either specialty. If ortho is what you want to do in life, drop the backup plan and gun for ortho. If I didn't match this year, I would've reapplied until I eventually matched or decided to get out of medicine altogether. I don't want to do a non-surgical specialty like sports med. I couldn't stand going through an FP residency to get there. If I was forced to do non-surgical primary care I would've done peds but for different reasons. I just liked being around kids (in a non-creepy sort of way) and I'm thinking about doing a peds fellowship because of it. I don't really like many of the other surgical specialties either, but could do a GS residency if I had to. Bottom line: figure out what you want to do in life and run with it.

Just make sure you do well on level 2 CE.

Word. I was one of those idiots who took it late and it hurt me big time. I thought I could do what the allopathic applicants do and take it late since I did well in Level I. Wrong! Most DO programs care about Level II a lot.

too many PMs - so here is the list of what I feel is most important in handbook for auditions when it comes to questions I was asked over and over.

1. Section I: General Considerations - most of it is not very high yield; focus on following points
a. Open Fractures
i. Table 3.2
b. Muscle Viability
i. Table 3.4
2. Section 2: Axial Skeleton Fractures - again, not very high yield for ortho auditions
a. Chance, Compression, Burst, and Jefferson fractures
b. know diagram on p. 137
3. Section 3: Upper Extremity Fractures and Dislocations
a. Allman classification (p. 145)
i. Look at Tarascon's for Neer modification
b. AC joint (p. 154)
i. Table 12.1 and Figure 12.3
c. Hill-Sachs, HAGL, and Bankart lesions (p. 174)
d. Proximal humerus fractures (p. 194)
i. displacing forces (figure 15.1)
e. Holstein Lewis type fractures (p. 211)
f. Tolerances of humeral shaft fractures (p. 206)
g. Circle of Hori (p. 232-233)
h. Terrible triad of elbow - radial head fx, coronoid fx, and elbow dislocation
i. Radial Head - Mason classification (p. 250-252)
j. Bado classification (Figure 21.2)
k. Galiazzi and Monteggia (p. 267)
l. Frykman (p. 273)
m. Smith/Barton's (p. 274)
n. Scaphoid fx
i. blood supply of scaphoid (p. 288-289)
o. Triquetrum fx - classically seen on lateral xray as a fleck on dorsum of hand
p. "Terry Thomas sign" (p. 302)
q. Boxer's fx (5th metacarpal neck)
r. Bennet, Rolando (p. 312-313)
s. Stener lesion (Figure 24.9)
4. Section 4: Lower Extremity Fractures and Dislocations
a. Young and Burgess (Figure 25.6)
b. Vascular supply of femoral head (Figure 27.3)
c. Femoral neck fractures - Pauwel and Garden (p. 381-383)
d. Evans intertrochanteric fx (Figure 30.1)
e. Patellar fractures (p. 441)
f. Patellar radiographic lines (p. 446)
g. Schatzker classification (Figure 36.1)
h. Danis-Weber classification (Figure 38.8)
i. Lauge-Hansen (p. 485)
j. Ruedi and Allgower (p. 493, Figure 38.10)
k. Pilon fx (p. 495)
l. Calcaneal fx
i. radiographic lines/angles (Figures 39.1 and 39.2)
ii. Sander's (p. 513-514)
m. Hawkin's classes and sign (p. 522)
n. Lisfranc injury (p. 541-548)
o. Jones fx, (p. 551)
i. know what a true zone 2 is
5. Section 5: Pediatric Fractures and Dislocations
a. Salter-Harris type I - V (p. 567)
b. Gartland (p. 605-606)
c. Physeal fractures of lateral condyle (p. 609)
d. Juvenile Tillaux fx (Figure 51.3)

note: credit to many students that contributed to this list as I asked other fellow ortho students what they frequently were asked at each ortho audition.

This post is great. I wish someone had given me a list like this haha. Pretty much covers everything you need to know. Just supplement this with Netters ortho for anatomy and Hoppenfeld for approaches and you guys will be golden.

Can anybody recommend a reputable program that doesnt differentiate between students that rotate for 2 week or 4 weeks during audition season? My board scores are 650+. I know Toledo doesnt care if you rotate for 2 weeks or 4 weeks. Any other programs that people know of?

I heard Southpointe is ONLY taking 2 weeks rotations.....

Can anybody recommend a reputable program that doesnt differentiate between students that rotate for 2 week or 4 weeks during audition season? My board scores are 650+. I know Toledo doesnt care if you rotate for 2 weeks or 4 weeks. Any other programs that people know of?

St. John Oakland

Just a few things that have been in other ortho posts over the years and on orthgunner about excelling on aways. And just mention something, Orthojoe has some great advice but make sure you feel out the program a little before going all in. Meaning I wouldn't intubate patients while on ortho service, also for example one program before rounds we were supposed to only look up Hb/Hct for the postoperative patients and put them on a post it on the chart...if you saw a patient without the resident it looked bad. Other program you were expected to have seen all the postoperative patients, write notes, and take down bandages so seniors could see wound during rounds. So it varies on what is expected and viewed as appropriate, makes the process fun!! Here ya go:

Excelling on Aways
From SDN
"Memorize Koval's Handbook of Fractures, Netter's Orthopedic Anatomy, and Hoppenfeld's Physical Exam of the Spine and Ext.
That's what I did, and it worked."-PGY2
"- Always be early for rounds, meetings, conferences with a good attitude.
- Always offer to round, get numbers, write notes
- Take the initiative. If you round with the team, grab the chart and write a note, start filling in post-op orders or procedure notes, filling out scripts.
- Don't just sit there watching your residents or asking..."how can i help". Always find a way to be busy, reading a book, doing scut, etc.
- On rounds, have all of the supplies ready for dressing changes...and if you pre-round, have the dressings off so that your resident can look at the incision and they you can put the dressing back on.
- Meet as many people as you can, even if you're an introvert, talk with as many residents and attendings that you can.
- Know your place, ask the team if there is room for you to scrub in, grab the retractor, try to fill in the space of an intern.
- Don't be a show off or put down other rotators, answer only when asked a question, and don't ask questions just to showcase that you read something.
"- Knowing Koval, Browner, Campbell's, Miller are fine and dandy but that has no bearing on who we usually rank. We want people who we can get a long with, someone we can trust when they are our juniors on service, and who will make great ortho interns. As far as knowledge goes, you are responsible for anatomy...period. Anything else is gravy."
- don't suck up, be friendly, upbeat but not annoyingly so.
- be ready to scrub on any case where they could use the hands
- round with any team that could use the help when you have time
- don't wait to be asked to help - assume the role and get to work - paperwork, scripts, dressings changes, dictate clinic visits, etc.
- be everywhere but be invisible: don't make a point of trying to be noticed, you will be if you're there early and stay late
- no matter how much the residents cut up/rag on each other - don't get involved. you don't know these people well enough to join in (usually)
- be prepared to work 15+ hr days and 100+ hour weeks. this is your interview for 4 weeks so bust your ass
- be nice to everybody! scrub techs, nurses, cafeteria workers, etc. talking behind anybody's back and/or being unprofessional can ruin the reputation you spent weeks trying to build
- know your place. you are a student and owe paying your dues, even as a rotator. scrub and stand, be the retractor-boy, insert the foley and help the tech prep the leg/arm/pelvis, etc.
- be ready to help out in the OR in any way - learn where the supplies are in case you're not scrubbed, help move the pt from bed to table, help walk them to the recovery room, etc
-listen and learn from everybody including the intern that's only done ortho for 1-3 months more than you have. they still know more than you do and may be your chief later on if you match there
- always, always introduce yourself to the scrub tech and get your own gown and gloves after being told there is room to scrub (i always ask the residents before assuming i'm going to scrub)
- be the last one scrubbing
- help out other rotators behind the scenes if you can/need to. trying to show them up will make you look bad, but helping them out will add to your comraderie as a rotating group of students and make you all look better.
- don't ask for favors or time off
- don't show up on days off (if you get them) or stay after they tell you to go home (unless everybody else is staying to do something you could help with)
- show some interest in the city/location outside the residency. take the time to see if that's a place you want to live for 5 years (see above for when to do this)" –Ortho Resident
"Almost wholly agree, but I think a couple caveats about these two are in order:
1) Rounding with other teams can be a negative thing in some programs. If you round with someone else, and your resident suddenly comes up with something he wants you to do, you won't be there and that potentially can be a negative thing. Alternatively, if your team is having lunch or relaxing, and you're rounding with another team, you'll look like you're sucking up. I would definitely get a feel for the program you're at before you do this, as it may not be acceptable everywhere.
2) Don't show up on your day off, but if you know they have a busy day or are short on residents, make the offer.
One other thing to add:
If the residents invite you to go out for a drink or dinner with them, make absolutely sure that you go."
"I agree, very good advice above. We definitely need to get a sticky on this.
"Only things I would reiterate/emphasize. As mentioned above, we could care less about you getting a random pimp question correct if you come off as a weirdo. We want cool people that work hard, don't complain, are enjoyable to be around with, and are trustful.
Also, stick to the rules above the whole month. One stray action or comment even on your last day can land you on the DNR (do not rank) list."
From Orthogunner
"Since we are knee deep into away rotation season, we wanted to provide you with some pointers on Away Rotation Etiquette. There is an etiquette you need to follow when rotating at an Ortho program. You need to understand that an away rotation can make or break you. You need to fit into the program you are at. You need to kiss ass without giving people the impression that you are kissing ass. You need to understand that you are a guest at a program. You are on a month long job interview. Here are some tips:
1. When you see any Orthopaedic Attending, greet him appropriately. If you are bold,* you can introduce yourself. The point is that if you greet attendings, they will wonder who you are and will ask the residents about you. It is flattering for them to know that you want to come to their program. Know everybody's name.
2. Do not annoy anyone. This one is easier said than done. There are some residents who will dislike you after ten minutes. The point is to not give anybody a reason to think you are annoying. Do not keep saying that you want to go to this program. Do not keep asking stupid questions. Do not show off or answer questions that make your resident look bad.
3. Be everywhere at all times, but be invisible. You want to be there always, but you don't want to be around so much you get on people's nerves. You don't want people asking where you are. Just be around, be accessible. Blend in without crowding space.
4. Do not try too hard to fit in. Be yourself. The thing about away rotations in Ortho is that everybody is trying to impress and fit in. Residents don't really care what your numbers or resume looks like. Residents want to know that you are a hard worker and won't weaken the team. Residents want to know that you will be a friend of theirs if you come to the program. They want to know that they can grab a beer with you or go hang out. They want people that are going to make life as a resident easier and more fun. So if you are rotating at a program, realize this and try and figure out if the residents are the kind of people you would hang out with. If you don't like them, then they probably won't end up liking you and you will probably be unhappy at that program.
5. Do not ask for favors. Doing an away rotation sucks. You are poor. You do not know anybody. You will likely need favors such as rides to here and there, etc, etc. Do not ask to crash at their place for a few days. In general, do not ask for favors from residents. They are not your friends. Hopefully by the end of the rotation they will be, but asking for favors with get you know where. Similarly, do not ask if they want to hang out or go out. If you are liked, they will ask you.
6. Do not treat your rotation like a vacation. If you are rotating at a place near fun activities, you don't want to let everybody know that you are taking the weekend off to go skiiing. Nobody wants to hear that while they were on call their medical student was off enjoying life that they can't. Save your vacation for after you match. You don't want to be regretting that weekend skiing when you don't match."
What Program Directors Look at
From SDN
As someone who reviews applications and participates in the ranking of applicants, I can give you my perspective. My colleagues seem to be similar as well, but everyone looks at candidates slightly differently.
When I am reading applications to decide who to interview, this is the order of things I look at.
1) Name, medical school, undergrad, and where you are from: Obviously things you can't change or influence, but they give an idea as to where you are from.
2) USMLE: Anything above 230 makes this component of your application a basically a non-issue. Scores in the 220s means you should have something else that makes you stand out. 210s and below probably rules you out unless I know you or you rotated and did an awesome job. 240-260s is a bonus. Regarding when to take Step 2. If you got above 240 I don't really care if you have a Step 2 score listed or not.
3) Letters of Recommendation: I'm looking for strong letters of recommendation from ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEONS, especially ones I may know. You want a good mix, so try to maybe get a letter from a well known surgeon or chairman, and also some really personal letters from people you worked with. A really strong letter from someone I know that states you are one of the best medical students they worked with, or that they are trying to recruit you is probably the best thing you can have in your application. Letters from general surgeons are neutral, and I would actively discourage you from getting letters from family medicine, internal medicine, psychiatry, etc.
4) Research: You don't need a Nobel Prize. However, it is good to see that you have taken part in at least one or two research projects and that you understand the research process. Publications are not necessary. The research also does not need to be ortho specific.
5) AOA
6) Personal Statement: If you have something truly unique about yourself, here is your place to share it. Many times what you put in your personal statement will be who you become to the committee. You'll be the cattle rancher guy, or water skier girl, or the wrestler, or whatever. However, the personal statement is also a place to totally hose yourself. Do not put anything in there that could be construed as even remotely weird or unusual. Many otherwise good applicants have been passed over because the set off the weirdo or DB meter. If there isn't anything really unique about you, that's ok too, just go bland. Better to be neutral than negative.
7) Activities: This gets a quick glance over. Once again anything that is unique or special is helpful. Being part of 20 B.S. med school organizations, while potentially a huge time commitment, does not really add to your application.
8) Grades: All honor helps, but unfortunately figuring out most transcripts is more difficult than calculus. Since every school uses a different grading scheme, its very difficult to determine is pass the best, or honors, what's a 5, or A's, etc. Just don't fail stuff.
I hope this helps. In terms of how to excel and get a spot. Study really hard your first 2 years, by getting great grades you will be inadvertently studying for the USMLE. Then do what it takes to get a good score on Step I. If you want to set yourself apart, spend a little bit of time on a research project. During years 3 and 4 get to know your orthopaedic department and really work your butt off on your rotations. I have noticed that the effort put in by the medical students seems to be going down each year. Get there early, stay late, be helpful without being annoying. Try to facilitate and make the residents lives easier rather than being another thing they have to worry about.

Thanks for the reply guys.. anybody else have any suggestions for the east coast programs?

Programs that are heavy on boards:

Toledo
Doctors
Grandview
Des Peres
St. John Oakland
Corvalis
UMDNJ Stratford
Memorial, York
Harrisburg
Plainview (took a guy with 700+ who I thought wouldn't get in anywhere, just based on his scores)
Broward

You basically need a 600+ to have a shot at these programs. That doesn't mean you'll get a spot by any means, because your rotation will be the determinig factor. IMO, board scores help you quite a bit. When programs have 30+ guys rotating, and there are 5-8 guys that really did well, programs then go by board scores as to who to rank higher. I will admit that I am a terrible interviewer so that may have some thing to do with me having only 1 offer as opposed to Wozo30's 3. I did get great feedback on my rotations though (best student to rotate yet, blah blah) but I think I bombed my interviews.

I applied to every program, rotated at 6, got 9 interviews, went to 5, got 1 highly likely to match call and one likely to match call in the end. Just feel very fortunate to get a spot. Step 1 was between 625-650.

Wow! rotated at 6 programs... My school only allows 3 of the same specialty. I applied to 5 auditions and have 3 offers. The other two make decisions this week, but I will have to cancel 2 if I get all five. Interesting how what school you attend can affect face time in your desired specialty. I think it'll still be fine, but I would have liked to rotate at all the places I applied.

Some people will split a month into two 2 week rotations, some places do not like this others don't mind. I know Toledo is ok with two weeks. OKC had a few from my class that rotated well in just two weeks. I did 4 one month rotations so I can't comment on others. Other posters may be able to comment more on this but it's an option that many students do, especially with strong scores. I think most do them at the end of audition season.

4 weeks is always better than 2 weeks. Gives everyone twice as much time to remember you. They rotate a ton of students during audition season, so they will obviously be able to remember you more if you were there twice as long as the next guy. Find your top 3 that you want to go to and rotate 4 weeks at each. This worked successfully for me.

4 weeks is always better than 2 weeks. Gives everyone twice as much time to remember you. They rotate a ton of students during audition season, so they will obviously be able to remember you more if you were there twice as long as the next guy. Find your top 3 that you want to go to and rotate 4 weeks at each. This worked successfully for me.
or you could take the approach and try to get in front of as many programs as possible. Which is what I did.

my first ortho audition in las vegas was four weeks. I realized the program knew me and I knew them after two weeks so I changed pretty much the rest into two weeks auditions and picked up some extra spots. However I did keep the allopathic ortho program I rotated at to 4 weeks.

I dont think there is a right or wrong way. Try contacting a resident and asking if only doing 4 weeks is a detriment (I know there are a few programs that want you there for four weeks). I got interviews at every program I rotated at. I matched to a program I did two weeks at.

I would say my determining factor for 4 versus 2 weeks was my sub 600 score. I also am slower to open up, with fear of saying or doing the wrong thing so I think 4 weeks helped me. But agree that you know the program after 2 weeks.

Some programs are hell bent on taking guys who do 4 weeks. I doubt you can get into botsford/Mt. Clemens/Chicago/Henry Ford/Ingham/POH with just two weeks. Has it happened before? may be, likely to happen? not very much. I would recommend doing 4 weeks at most programs. Programs that didn't care about 2 weeks, Toledo/St John Oakland/ South Pointe. All three of these programs have routinely offered spots to people who rotated with 2 weeks. Garden City says on their website they want two weeks but they really like 4 weeks.

Some programs are hell bent on taking guys who do 4 weeks. I doubt you can get into botsford/Mt. Clemens/Chicago/Henry Ford/Ingham/POH with just two weeks. Has it happened before? may be, likely to happen? not very much. I would recommend doing 4 weeks at most programs. Programs that didn't care about 2 weeks, Toledo/St John Oakland/ South Pointe. All three of these programs have routinely offered spots to people who rotated with 2 weeks. Garden City says on their website they want two weeks but they really like 4 weeks.
good info guys!! wish I didnt have to do all that leg work my third year. Gold star to ya!

Does anyone know how OKC feels about 2 week rotations?

They allow 2 weeks at OKC. I did 4 weeks there and interviewed.

I did two and got an interview but chose not to accept as I had another at the same time.

If it is at the tail end, you can use it as an audition, Michigan programs interview early so you can count a may/june rotation for audition. This way you can get your foot in at 4 programs. I think you really should think about rotating at more than 3 programs, I am being dead serious when I say this, it's extremely competitive... and pick you rotations wisely as others are saying here.

Well what if your only option for a third year elective is at a program?

Well what if your only option for a third year elective is at a program?
That's ok too, programs don't expect much from 3rd year students other than showing up early, doing the tasks they are assigned and showing they are eager to learn. Of course, work hard, and be interested, this is what you want to purse as your career.

I think what usually happens with most 3rd year students is that they come in thinking they want ortho and then it hits them that it wasn't what they expected and then they become disinterested. Usually it starts the first weekend when they have to show up for rounds at 530 am.

That's ok too, programs don't expect much from 3rd year students other than showing up early, doing the tasks they are assigned and showing they are eager to learn. Of course, work hard, and be interested, this is what you want to purse as your career.

I think what usually happens with most 3rd year students is that they come in thinking they want ortho and then it hits them that it wasn't what they expected and then they become disinterested. Usually it starts the first weekend when they have to show up for rounds at 530 am.

Our rounds as residents start at 0530 usually, we expect our students to be there before us...so more like 0500. =D

Does anybody have a list of programs that are very "hometown heavy". For example PCOM is an extremely competitive residency and they have in house gunners from day one. Is it foolish to spend an away rotation there knowing they may give 2 or 3 out of 4 to PCOM grads. I have heard the same about Olympia Fields and Broward

This can change from year to year at any program, depending on how many base students are interested in ortho. I don't think you should let that deter you, if you're solid, you should be a ok.

Being a base student and gunning for ortho could be a real blessing, or can blow up in your face rather fast. Just depends how you handle yourself. I have seen base ortho gunners slack off on other services and doing some real dumb **** that took them out of contention. Had they just rotated for 4 weeks like other students, they more than likely would have been fine. Then on the other hand you have that solid base student who works hard, is always eager to learn and genuinely interested, and likeable to go along with that. A guy like that will have built such a repertoire come 4th year that he will almost be assured a spot at his base program, and will almost always be selected over outside rotators.

So as I said, varies from year to year, just because a program has bunch of in house gunners doesn't mean they will always be looked favorably.