Orthopedics without Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrapy

Reaction score
Are orthopedic generalists becoming more common? I saw a few articles on this, but I really couldn’t find anymore data about it. What are some important differences between being a generalist and a surgicalist (please don’t say "more specialization")?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I thought ortho specialization was more popular and becomimg the trend.

Members don't see this ad :)
By far, specialization is more common. 95% of graduating residents do fellowships. Hospitals and private groups want fellowship trained surgeons. Generalists are dying out unless they are in the sticks, or the military.

Reactions: 2 users
Can you comment on the relative competitiveness of fellowships or whether that's even a consideration? A (rough) ranking would be enlightening, from the following: (if I missed any major ones, feel free to add to the list)

Foot & Ankle
Hand & Upper Limb
Joint Replacement/Adult Reconstruction
Trauma
Spine
Sports Medicine
Pediatrics
Oncology

Please see my ama thread, I talk about this a little.
Competitiveness isn’t much of an issue once you hit fellowship. Most people get fellowships—it just depends on where and if you get your top choice. For example there are a ton of sports fellowships, but 3 or 4 are very famous—so everyone will be vying for those, but most will match somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user