Osteopath vs. Chiropractic vs. Orthopedic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes. There are many, many differences. Osteopath is a nine-letter, four-syllable word, beginning with "O" ending with "H", with "steopat" in the middle. Chiropraactic is a misspelled verison of chiropractic, which is an eleven-letter, four-syllable word, beginning with "C", ending with "C", with "hiropracti" in the middle. Orthopedic is a ten-letter, four-syllable word, beginning with "O", ending with "C", with "rthopedi" in the middle.

While those are the major differences, there are others. For example, each of the words has a different meaning. Similarly, each of them has a different etyology. Also, you cannot use any of the three words in place of another in a particular sentence without changing the meaning of the sentence. It is interesting to note that only one of the words is a true noun. The others are most often used as adjectives. Each word also has a different entry in the dictionary. Two of the words begin with a consonant, while one begins with a vowel.

There are also a number of similarities between the words. Are you also interested in hearing the similarities?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

:) :) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, you guys know that we have high schoolers/freshman on the board. Instead of derailing threads how about you ignore them and take you comments to the off-topic or lounge? That would be fantastic and also give some of these poor students looking for guidance a chance of actually understanding what is going on. You guys scare them away!!! :p

To the original poster: you have been given advice on this thread (beside the ignorant comments). I suggest you read up on some of that advice and decide what aspect you are interested in.

Commander Riker here.

I would say Chiropractics deals with manipulation sans prescriptions. Osteopathy deals with manipulation while able to write prescriptions. Allopathy deals with scientific approach to medicine. Orthopedics is a very sought-after field in allopathy.

:laugh:

I come back and find more of the same being written out of you. You are totally clueless about medicine in general. Unnerving.

Idiocracy is strong in this one. For him, medical school is not in the future.

Just noticed Mushy's comment, so I'll put in something "useful."

Osteopathic physicians can also pursue Ortho. Osteopathic med. is the same as allopathic med., except that osteopaths are also trained in OMM while in med school and tend to go into primary care; however, not all do and one may do any specialty they wish to pursue.

chiropractors are "back doctors."

Members don't see this ad :)

WARNING: Please do NOT contribute to the thread derail. Please only comment if you have any serious comments. Or I'm closing this thread.

WARNING: Please do NOT contribute to the thread derail. Please only comment if you have any serious comments. Or I'm closing this thread.

Please note my addition.

Unless she has tattoos. ;) Will Riker talk to dudes with tattoos? Does that make baby Jesus cry a little less?

:laugh: :p Yea, gotta watch out for those biker babes.

He doesn't like tattoos, alcohol, sex, vulgarity, women, or pretty much anything but Star Trek.:smuggrin:

Ok, you guys know that we have high schoolers/freshman on the board. Instead of derailing threads how about you ignore them and take you comments to the off-topic or lounge? That would be fantastic and also give some of these poor students looking for guidance a chance of actually understanding what is going on. You guys scare them away!!! :p

To the original poster: you have been given advice on this thread (beside the ignorant comments). I suggest you read up on some of that advice and decide what aspect you are interested in.

I KNEW IT!!!! RIKER IS IN HIGH SCHOOL!!!!:laugh: :smuggrin: :p

OP: Osteopathic physicians have the same rights and responsibilities as allopathic physicians except that there is a more holistic approach and we use manipulation as an additional tool. Orthoepedics is just a speciality in medicine that deals with the musculoskeletal system and surgery. I don't know much about chiropracters though. So, here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropractic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteopathic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthopedics

OP: Osteopathic physicians have the same rights and responsibilities as allopathic physicians except that there is a more holistic approach and we use manipulation as an additional tool. Orthoepedics is just a speciality in medicine that deals with the musculoskeletal system and surgery. I don't know much about chiropracters though. So, here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropractic

What holistic approach? MDs "look" at the whole patient, too. The whole "only DOs use holistic approach" line is outdated.

What holistic approach? MDs "look" at the whole patient, too. The whole "only DOs use holistic approach" line is outdated.
have to agree with you on that as well as people fed me that line when I first found out about DO schools. Although I think sometimes DO's have a tendency to consider their patient population's socioeconomic background when it comes to certain things they are told to focus on in school, but in practice I think any urban urgent care physician is going to ask you if you can afford the medication.

I didn't say ONLY DOs use a holistic approach. I said that they use a MORE holistic approach, which they do. There is a big difference in the wording of those two things. :p ;)

Thanks for the morning laughs scpod, dkm and jp! :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, give the damn kid a break. At one point MOST of us never knew much about Osteopathic Medicine/Chiropractors/Allopathic... whatever!!! But we do now cuz we asked questions like he is doing! I would tell you the differences but honestly, Im just too tired right now! Sorry buddy! But you keep asking 'em questions!!!

Hey guys, give the damn kid a break. At one point MOST of us never knew much about Osteopathic Medicine/Chiropractors/Allopathic... whatever!!! But we do now cuz we asked questions like he is doing! I would tell you the differences but honestly, Im just too tired right now! Sorry buddy! But you keep asking 'em questions!!!

:love: I bet you and seger are going to be the sweetest ones at DCOM :love:

I agree. As a pre-med I didn't know what most these terms meant. It sounds like to OP is interested in working with the muscoskeletal system and wants to know what his career options are.

Don't feed the troll.

Hi, I am currently in undergrad school and thinking about what I should pursue. Does anyone know the difference between osteopath, chiropraactic and orthopedic - such as their roles, the demand for these positions?? Thank you so much!

WHy not throw in allopathic, naturopathic, podiatric, optometry and denistry :laugh:

Osteopath = D.o. school, can practice in any profession in medicine.
Chiro= fix spines, (I don't know much about it)
Orthopedic= medical speciatly; can be d.o. or md

A certain percentage of DO students are attracted to the philosophy of osteopathic medicine. A certain percentage blew their MCAT and/or GPA.

Osteopathic medicine is different than allopathic medicine because it has a clearly articulated philosophy -it's written down in a book; you will take a test on it. What you do with the philosophy will be up to you, but there is no analog to this in allopathic medicine. Certain allopathic practitioners may decide individually to ascribe to a particular philosophy, but there is no agreed upon "philosophy of allopathic medicine". In osteopathic medicine there is.

You can argue about how it works in practice, or if it is even relevant, but osteopathic medicine is based on a holistic philosophy, while allopathic medicine is not. This factual point tends to get lost sometimes.

A certain percentage of DO students are attracted to the philosophy of osteopathic medicine. A certain percentage blew their MCAT and/or GPA.

Osteopathic medicine is different than allopathic medicine because it has a clearly articulated philosophy -it's written down in a book; you will take a test on it. What you do with the philosophy will be up to you, but there is no analog to this in allopathic medicine. Certain allopathic practitioners may decide individually to ascribe to a particular philosophy, but there is no agreed upon "philosophy of allopathic medicine". In osteopathic medicine there is.

You can argue about how it works in practice, or if it is even relevant, but osteopathic medicine is based on a holistic philosophy, while allopathic medicine is not. This factual point tends to get lost sometimes.

Just like certain sacraments or beliefs by the Roman Catholic Church/Pope, that line is outdated. Sure, it is "etched in a book," but it no longer is THE difference between allopathy and osteopathy. A 100 years ago, I'd say probably, but not now. Now, it's simply OMM. I imagine that OMM being the sole difference between the 2 branches may disappear at some point, seeing how there are some MDs and some potential MDs interested in OMM, as well.

Sure, it is "etched in a book," but it no longer is THE difference between allopathy and osteopathy....

It depends on the school you go to, I'm sure, but many are taught more than just OMM. The actual class is called OPP in our case-- Osteopathic Principles and Practices. Part of it is learning about the history, philosophy, and art of osteopathic medicine that encompasses mind, body and spirit. There is a special emphasis in a "hands-on" approach that follows more than just manipulation. You spend an especially large part of your time diagnosing disorders with your hands and understanding the way illness presents, and you don't just use those skills in OMM lab; you use them in other courses as well. You get an amazing look at anatomy, and I'll guarantee you that you know it better than most any allopathic graduate around because you'll be studying it every week for the first two years at a minimum.

In our case, and in others I would imagine, the osteopathic philosophy is brought into as many of our courses as is possible. You are are taught to look at things from a different perspective. Yes, some people think it's kind of "hokey" and ignore it, but it's wrong to ignore history. Allopathic medicine comes from allos, meaning opposite and path, meaning disease. The traditional approach was to look at the symptoms and treat them with something that did the opposite. Osteopathy was designed with something different in mind: treating the body as a whole unit, rather than just the symptoms. While it's true that more allopathic programs are using this approach now, it's wrong to simply ignore that osteopathy was designed on those principles and those principles are still the core of the practice. The fact is that allopathic schools are simply becoming more like osteopathic schools, except for the manipulation. Some of them are even looking into that now.

It's easy to say that there is no difference when you have never been a part of it. It's easy to say that you'll go to a DO school, but you'll never accept OMM. It's much harder to look objectively at a situation you've never really been in and see where the real differences lie. Yes, there are currently more differences than just OMM. With the way things are going, though, that might not always be the case...but that's the way it is now.

It depends on the school you go to, I'm sure, but many are taught more than just OMM. The actual class is called OPP in our case-- Osteopathic Principles and Practices. Part of it is learning about the history, philosophy, and art of osteopathic medicine that encompasses mind, body and spirit. There is a special emphasis in a "hands-on" approach that follows more than just manipulation. You spend an especially large part of your time diagnosing disorders with your hands and understanding the way illness presents, and you don't just use those skills in OMM lab; you use them in other courses as well. You get an amazing look at anatomy, and I'll guarantee you that you know it better than most any allopathic graduate around because you'll be studying it every week for the first two years at a minimum. . .

Hmmmmm... I found your post very informative. Thanks for the overview and perspective. :thumbup:

It depends on the school you go to, I'm sure, but many are taught more than just OMM. The actual class is called OPP in our case-- Osteopathic Principles and Practices. Part of it is learning about the history, philosophy, and art of osteopathic medicine that encompasses mind, body and spirit. There is a special emphasis in a "hands-on" approach that follows more than just manipulation. You spend an especially large part of your time diagnosing disorders with your hands and understanding the way illness presents, and you don't just use those skills in OMM lab; you use them in other courses as well. You get an amazing look at anatomy, and I'll guarantee you that you know it better than most any allopathic graduate around because you'll be studying it every week for the first two years at a minimum.

In our case, and in others I would imagine, the osteopathic philosophy is brought into as many of our courses as is possible. You are are taught to look at things from a different perspective. Yes, some people think it's kind of "hokey" and ignore it, but it's wrong to ignore history. Allopathic medicine comes from allos, meaning opposite and path, meaning disease. The traditional approach was to look at the symptoms and treat them with something that did the opposite. Osteopathy was designed with something different in mind: treating the body as a whole unit, rather than just the symptoms. While it's true that more allopathic programs are using this approach now, it's wrong to simply ignore that osteopathy was designed on those principles and those principles are still the core of the practice. The fact is that allopathic schools are simply becoming more like osteopathic schools, except for the manipulation. Some of them are even looking into that now.

It's easy to say that there is no difference when you have never been a part of it. It's easy to say that you'll go to a DO school, but you'll never accept OMM. It's much harder to look objectively at a situation you've never really been in and see where the real differences lie. Yes, there are currently more differences than just OMM. With the way things are going, though, that might not always be the case...but that's the way it is now.

Yes, at Dr. I's soon-to-be school (DCOM), OMM is called OPP and follows the same principles. :laugh:

The parts of your response that is bolded reflects my response.

I'm well aware of the OPP and the historical teachings of OMM; however, I consider that the same as when allo institutes give history on the discovery of penicillin, etc. History is important but only in the classroom. Never will you need to know the historical aspects of OMM for clinical reasons. In addition, I never said that OMM is to be ignored. I said that was the main difference (or only difference) that currently exists. However, it is good to know that the other courses involve the use of the osteopathic principles when learning about the different organ systems and while I'm not sure how that really works outside of the musculoskeletal system, I'll take your word on that.

I said that was the main difference (or only difference) that currently exists.

Prove it. You talk a big game, now back it up. And none of this "I know a guy" bull****. Lets hear YOUR insight from YOUR experiences.

I will be waiting...

Prove it. You talk a big game, now back it up. And none of this "I know a guy" bull****. Lets hear YOUR insight from YOUR experiences.

I will be waiting...

Oops, you're right. We would be required to do 42 hours of continuing education per year for 3 years, whereas an MD would have to do 25 hours per year. Okay, that's the other major difference. In addition to the emphasis in primary care and serving the underserved, and not enough research emphasis compared to the allopathic institutes. However, most of these differences are post medical school differences.

The "whole person" approach was unique 100 years back. Now, not so much. For every old MD that doesn't use the "whole person" approach, I'm sure there's a DO out there that doesn't use this approach either.

OMM (and for most of you, OPP) is the major difference now. In the future, probably not so much. There are MDs wanting to learn this, as I stated above.

http://www.osteohome.com/SubPages/compare.html

Just like certain sacraments or beliefs by the Roman Catholic Church/Pope, that line is outdated. Sure, it is "etched in a book," but it no longer is THE difference between allopathy and osteopathy. A 100 years ago, I'd say probably, but not now. Now, it's simply OMM. I imagine that OMM being the sole difference between the 2 branches may disappear at some point, seeing how there are some MDs and some potential MDs interested in OMM, as well.

Like I said before, one can certainly debate the relevance of the osteopathic philosophy in modern practice - this doesn't change the fact that osteopathic medicine has an articulated philosophy while allopathic medicine does not.

Just to extend your own analogy a bit, to the casual observer, Catholicism doesn't look much different than any other Christian religion - they all go to church on Sunday, all believe in Jesus, read the same Bible, etc. However, when one delves a little deeper, you find that because of their unique histories and philosophies all the Christian churches look at things a little differently, and this guides them to subtle differences in the way they practice their religion.

Similarly, on the surface, it is hard to see any difference in the way DOs and MDs practice medicine besides OMM. However, if one delves deeper, the philosophy of osteopathic medicine provides a way of looking at health and disease that is distinct from allopathic medicine. For example, if I have been exposed to the idea that the body has an inherent capacity to heal itself (one of the principles of OPP) from day one of med school, I might be a bit more open to looking for ways to enlist the patient's own healing power when treating an illness, maybe through diet, exercise, meditation, etc.

As I mentioned above, the % of DO students who end up there primarily b/c of a grade situation could give a $hit about OPP. However, there is another % of students at DO schools b/c of the philosophy, and these students will perhaps gain a slightly different perspective and end up practicing a little differently b/c of it.

Like I said before, one can certainly debate the relevance of the osteopathic philosophy in modern practice - this doesn't change the fact that osteopathic medicine has an articulated philosophy while allopathic medicine does not.

Never said the philosophy was irrelevant. However, my point was that at this point and time, it can't be said that only DOs use a "whole body" approach, as there are numerous MDs that do, too. Thus, this shows that it's not irrelevant, but I question if it's only specific to DOs even though it's explicitly taught to DOs, because MDs implicitly use this approach.

Just to extend your own analogy a bit, to the casual observer, Catholicism doesn't look much different than any other Christian religion - they all go to church on Sunday, all believe in Jesus, read the same Bible, etc. However, when one delves a little deeper, you find that because of their unique histories and philosophies all the Christian churches look at things a little differently, and this guides them to subtle differences in the way they practice their religion.

Valid point.

Similarly, on the surface, it is hard to see any difference in the way DOs and MDs practice medicine besides OMM. However, if one delves deeper, the philosophy of osteopathic medicine provides a way of looking at health and disease that is distinct from allopathic medicine. For example, if I have been exposed to the idea that the body has an inherent capacity to heal itself (one of the principles of OPP) from day one of med school, I might be a bit more open to looking for ways to enlist the patient's own healing power when treating an illness, maybe through diet, exercise, meditation, etc.

Yes, there are MDs that readily pull out the script to treat a patient. However, there are also MDs that attempt to do the same thing. I am sure there are DOs of both types, as well -- which is inherently pinpointed in your final paragraph below. Those DOs that readily pull out a script pad for every little thing likely only went to a DO school as a means to an end. However, I do understand your point, that being taught these principles, a DO is more inherently going to use these principles towards patient treatment and I appreciate the point in making such a statement.

As I mentioned above, the % of DO students who end up there primarily b/c of a grade situation could give a $hit about OPP. However, there is another % of students at DO schools b/c of the philosophy, and these students will perhaps gain a slightly different perspective and end up practicing a little differently b/c of it.

Never said the philosophy was irrelevant. However, my point was that at this point and time, it can't be said that only DOs use a "whole body" approach, as there are numerous MDs that do, too. Thus, this shows that it's not irrelevant, but I question if it's only specific to DOs even though it's explicitly taught to DOs, because MDs implicitly use this approach.

I'm not sure where the "only DO" thing comes from. I mentioned above that MDs can ascribe to any individual philosophy they want - it's just not as neatly packaged and integrated for them. Just to clarify as well, I'm not really sure what a "whole body" approach means - don't skip any areas on the physical? I'm talking about applying the 4 basic principles of osteopathic philosophy:
  • The body is a unit
  • Structure and function are related
  • The body is self healing
  • Rational treatment is based upon an understanding of these principles

Although there is nothing stopping them from incorporating them, I don't see these principles as implicit in the allopathic approach to health and disease.

Yes, there are MDs that readily pull out the script to treat a patient. However, there are also MDs that attempt to do the same thing. I am sure there are DOs of both types, as well -- which is inherently pinpointed in your final paragraph below. Those DOs that readily pull out a script pad for every little thing likely only went to a DO school as a means to an end. However, I do understand your point, that being taught these principles, a DO is more inherently going to use these principles towards patient treatment and I appreciate the point in making such a statement.

the philosophy of osteopathic medicine provides a way of looking at health and disease that is distinct from allopathic medicine. For example, if I have been exposed to the idea that the body has an inherent capacity to heal itself (one of the principles of OPP) from day one of med school, I might be a bit more open to looking for ways to enlist the patient's own healing power when treating an illness, maybe through diet, exercise, meditation, etc.

Oh my god really?... I had no idea that the body can heal itself. I go to an allopathic school and they never told us. They just don't teach that kind of stuff to us. :rolleyes:

Oh my god really?... I had no idea that the body can heal itself. I go to an allopathic school and they never told us. They just don't teach that kind of stuff to us. :rolleyes:

I'm not really surprised if you're going to MCV. Don't you have the neurology residency where they can't attract any US MD students? Wait...they do have one don't they? I guesss brains don't heal themselves :laugh: .

I'm not really surprised if you're going to MCV. Don't you have the neurology residency where they can't attract any US MD students? Wait...they do have one don't they? I guesss brains don't heal themselves :laugh: .
Can't attract students? Sounds like a lot of osteopathic residencies!