Osteopathic EM programs

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by nutka1111, Sep 27, 2009.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. gamerEMdoc

gamerEMdoc Associate PD; EM Clerkship Director Gold Donor

Feb 10, 2016
    Physician
    Faculty
    Yeah, I mean, I never get how people can be that full of themselves. Why couldnt they just say, "unfortunately your scores are below our cutoff". Instead, they go on and on to tell you how you have no chance, and tell you please not to email them, etc. My lord.

Then again, unrealistic expectations and ridiculous cutoffs are sometimes how great candidates get overlooked, and that's my wheelhouse so if programs want to keep doing that, I'll keep trying to reap the benefits! When you are a community EM program in a small city, you can't expect to get inundated with candidates with top tier board scores. During interview season, I love trying to find people that others may have overlooked. Don't get me wrong, I like a great top tier candidate as much as the next guy, but I also realize the competition for those candidates is fierce, and focusing on the students that are more realistically going to target your program is the smart way to play it from a programs perspective.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2002
    SCREW IT!
    Physician
    On one side, well, good on them for standing tall. On the other hand, enjoy not filling! As a PD said over 10 years ago, not filling was, by far, the must stressful professional experience he'd ever had.

AlteredScale and Dr.TurkandJD like this.
  4. gamerEMdoc

Feb 10, 2016
    Physician
    Faculty
    I mean, Dear God, can we at least wait until tomorrow afternoon before discussing how stressful it was for a program not to fill their spots!?!

5. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2002
    SCREW IT!
    Physician
    Dude, I'm just a dumb community EM doc! All this "match" stuff is ancient history!

Dr.TurkandJD and gamerEMdoc like this.
  6. Makati2008

Makati2008 SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Sounds like their "luck" ran out....sounds like they are closing....or very delayed....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

racerwad likes this.
  7. racerwad

racerwad 7+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Physician
    That is tough to hear and somewhat crazy from the perspective of filling their class, at least they were being honest in exactly the way had been discussed in other threads about program-student interactions. I am ignoring the fact that this is bush-league program X and not LAC + USC, so they lack the bona-fides to make these kinds of demands which makes it sting all the more, but still. Kudos to their honesty.

8. OSUguy17

OSUguy17

Jan 15, 2016
    Does anyone know what the requirements are for signing contracts, drug tests, etc after matching? Just matched allo but want to go on a week long cruise in 2 weeks. Would that coincide with any deadlines for contract signing and getting a drug test etc?

9. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat SDN Administrator 10+ Year Member

Unlikely.

10. gamerEMdoc

Feb 10, 2016
    Physician
    Faculty
    Just dont do drugs on the cruise, and you should be fine. :)

11. gamerEMdoc

Feb 10, 2016
    Physician
    Faculty
    As a former AOA program in the ACGME this year, we took a gamble and bet highly on the DO community doing the allopathic match. We interviewed about 90% DOs. Even after we had submitted our rank list, we still do not know who if any of the candidates had already matched via the AOA match. We literally didn't know if half our match list was possibly unavailable. In the weeks leading up to the match, I was starting to get nervous and rethinking whether that strategy was a bright idea. Turns out it all worked out.

Having found out we filled all our spots was a big sigh of relief!

Congratulations to everyone that matched today, as well as everyone that matched last month!

12. engineeredout

engineeredout Lightning Ballseeker 7+ Year Member

May 11, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    What a bunch of tools.

Dr.TurkandJD likes this.
  13. rkmoto121

rkmoto121 7+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I think it would be super helpful for us third year DO students to get a list together of the previously AOA programs that are planning on going through the ACGME match for the 2018 cycle. I think it would help with choosing which places to rotate at and such. I have seen lists of which programs plan on going to 3 years but not on this. Although I'm not sure anybody has this information..

The_Forever_Student likes this.
  14. gamerEMdoc

Feb 10, 2016
    Physician
    Faculty
    Go to the AOA website for EM. Any program listed as "initial accredidation" is eligible for the ACGME match. More may come this spring when the RRC meets next. As for which will be doing the ACGME match, I'd say any of the programs that switch to 3 years. The ones staying four years will likely stick mainly with the AOA match (because they don't have to compete with 200 other residencies for candidates) for the next two years. All the ones that switch to 3 years are only eligible for the ACGME match.

15. HooliganSnail

HooliganSnail 5+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2012

The one thing that is an upside about that absurd response, and total lack of understanding of simple statistics is that you didn't actually waste your time....

Think about the poor residents who have to work under that dude

racerwad, CajunMedic and Dr.TurkandJD like this.
  16. Dr.TurkandJD

Dr.TurkandJD One Dream 5+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2012
    US and A
    Heard a few more stories of PD's telling applicants that they are "VERY VERY highly ranked" and they didnt match to that program.

2017 match seems weird, idk if this is the usual or if we are special. Especially with some programs going ACGME and some staying AOA, if this was a combined match, my ROL would have been so different.

gamerEMdoc likes this.
  17. gamerEMdoc

Feb 10, 2016
    Physician
    Faculty
    I cant wait for a combined match. Im sure we lost several people who wouldve been very competitively ranked on our list thanks to the seperate match system. Now those people may have still chosen to have gone elsewhere anyways, but at least they wouldve still been in play.

racerwad and Dr.TurkandJD like this.
  18. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky M3 who still sticks around pre-DO for some reason 2+ Year Member

May 2, 2013
    Speaking of which, I really need to stop reading the horror stories from yesterday or it's going to be a long, long year...

19. EM-SLG

EM-SLG

Feb 15, 2017
    They chose not to continue with their AOA because of the merger. They did not want to continue a program with the chance of them not being accredited and having to close with active residents. That's how I understood it.

20. EM-SLG

EM-SLG

Feb 15, 2017
    I auditioned and I only got a 495. I'm not sure why they would say that.

21. Makati2008

Dec 18, 2008
    Problem is now they have 3 residents graduating from a program that existed for 4years and 1 class. They should find them homes at more established sites IMHO

22. Makati2008

Dec 18, 2008
    Do you think it was due to folks not flocking to their program and they realized they should re-evaluate their expectations?

racerwad likes this.
  23. gamerEMdoc

Feb 10, 2016
    Physician
    Faculty
    Probably. Issue is, for candidates and programs, sometimes its too late. If A candidate thinks they are better than they really are, and they hold out for top-tier rotations or interviews, and don't get any, sometimes the tier below them is already filled up. Same thing happens to programs.

It's absolutely key for both programs and students to understand their own competitiveness if they want to be very successful through this process.

Makati2008 likes this.
  24. Dr.TurkandJD

Jan 30, 2012
    US and A
    But at the end of the day, regardless of how "top tier" of a student/resident you are or regardless if you went to an amazing or crappy program, you will be an attending EM physician and make a great living. Right? Or does it matter?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  25. gamerEMdoc

Feb 10, 2016
    Physician
    Faculty
    Absolutely not. Sometimes the training is better at places you've never heard of. But no matter what, you graduate and you'll never have a problem finding a job.

My point was, candidates over-valuing their application who shouldn't and holding out for "big name" programs hurt themselves because the other programs already fill their interviews. And programs who aren't big name programs that target too high of a level of candidate are going to miss out, because those high tier people are likely to go elsewhere.

26. Dr.TurkandJD

Jan 30, 2012
    US and A
    I understand completely! Just wanted to clarify that regardless of how big name program or how amazing your step 1 was, everyone who matched EM will have great jobs

27. Dr.TurkandJD

Jan 30, 2012
    US and A
    Any purchase list prior to residency? I'm thinking leatherman shears, new bag... that's all I got.

snowbrdr88 likes this.
  28. gamerEMdoc

Feb 10, 2016
    Physician
    Faculty
    Leatherman raptor trauma shears. Love those. And buy the app palmEM if you have ios (not sure if its on android), its my favorite quick reference for just about anything in the ED, and its not expensive at all.

29. WeeBay

WeeBay

Apr 19, 2016
    alcohol

30. Sinfest

Sinfest Slick 7+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2008
    It's actually free right now!

31. gutonc

Leatherman raptor trauma shears are free right now?

32. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky M3 who still sticks around pre-DO for some reason 2+ Year Member

May 2, 2013
    If you know the right guy. They fell off of a truck.

Dr.TurkandJD and Apollyon like this.
  33. gamerEMdoc

Feb 10, 2016
    Physician
    Faculty
    Congratulations to everyone who matched today!

34. gutonc

I left NYC for a number of reasons, this was one of them.

bravotwozero likes this.
  35. Dr.TurkandJD

Jan 30, 2012
    US and A
  36. MelMcT2009

MelMcT2009

Jul 22, 2016
    Anyone know if OSU will be participating in the ACGME match next year??

37. SevenSummitz

SevenSummitz

Jan 16, 2017
    Anyone know when the program list on opportunities will be updated to show the programs remaining in the AOA match?

38. EM39

EM39

Mar 21, 2017
    Coming from a MD with firsthand knowledge of the program. They have not been around for 4 years. This is the first year of the program. They pulled out of the AOA match several weeks after ERAS opened and had several hundred applications at that time. The PD is very honest and does not sugar coat anything. This is something of value when looking for a program where the majority of PD's at other programs will lie to you about their interest. He did not want to jeopardize future residents careers if ACGME does not go through. He is well respected throughout the area and if you speak to anyone from UAMS they will reiterate the same high regards. EM is highly competitive so unlike the majority of you think it is not absurd to have high standards for applicants. The program will get ACGME approval. Faculty at Unity Health were all chiefs at their residencies. The majority came from UAMS. Faculty also includes a former UAMS PD.

39. Dr.TurkandJD

Jan 30, 2012
    US and A
    Someone from the program made this account purely to defend it? Thats cool...

This Guy likes this.
  40. EM39

EM39

Mar 21, 2017
    Not with the program. I just have information about it. Apologies for correcting false statements.

41. Makati2008

Dec 18, 2008
    Sorry I should clarify. I was trying to relay that when these residents in the current class graduate, they would have been open for a total of four years (and only one active class) when/if the program closes. That makes networking, name recognition, etc nonexistent.

Also, I think the COMLEX scores they are wanting are pretty unrealistic for a new program in Arkansas. They are higher than even the strongest osteopathic programs require to get a foot in the door and some of these are in much better locations. This program is unproven and should be more realistic in its expectations until it has the foundation to meet its demands.

Also I wonder if the first residents there failed to match traditionally and scrambled in the AOA, they attempted the allopathic route and had to go to that program, or had red flags. For someone with so much insight there has to be a connection of some sort to the program.....

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    This Guy, Dr.TurkandJD and racerwad like this.
  42. TeamZissou

TeamZissou jaferd 7+ Year Member

Sep 29, 2008
    MI
    Let's be serious here.... using COMLEX scores for nearly anything is a mistake. Those tests are poorly written so are not even an accurate representation of knowledge. Let alone translating said knowledge into practice.

racerwad likes this.
  43. gamerEMdoc

Feb 10, 2016
    Physician
    Faculty
    Except there are decent studies that show a linear correlation with USMLE scores, and it pretty much holds true. Rarely do I see USMLE scores that are far out of range from where you'd predict from the COMLEX. They actually correlate pretty well. While I agree that USMLE is likely a better written exam (based on what I've heard), it's still a fairly standardized test.

Makati2008, Dr.TurkandJD and EMSCR like this.
  44. TeamZissou

Sep 29, 2008
    MI
    Please name your studies. I believe you, but genuinely curious about the strength of correlation, design, variables, etc.

My issue is with a new program using obscene scores (from a flawed test), as hard cutoffs.

My program is also new, will have our first set of PGY-4's this July. We use the scores as a low baseline. From there we put in a tremendous amount of time and energy getting to know applicants personally. Applicants from OOS are put up in a hotel, pre-interview dinners where usually 1/2 current residents attend. Lunch with residents to meet any you haven't already. Etc

IMHO there is no substitute for in-person interactions.

The_Forever_Student and sb247 like this.
  45. rkmoto121

rkmoto121 7+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2010
    http://jgme.org/doi/pdf/10.4300/JGME-D-15-00246.1?code=gmed-site

This is the study I have seen sited as showing a correlation (it was emailed to my class). I haven't read it myself though so idk anything about it.

46. gamerEMdoc

Feb 10, 2016
    Physician
    Faculty
    The one above is the most recent one I saw, I think I saw that last year when I looked into this more deeply. Here's a few others I found that have similar scatter plots.

How to Predict USMLE Scores From COMLEX-USA Scores: A Guide for Directors of ACGME-Accredited Residency Programs | The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association
    The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, September 2006, Vol. 106, 568-569.

http://jgme.org/doi/pdf/10.4300/JGME-D-15-00246.1?code=gmed-site
    The Use of COMLEX-USA and USMLE for Residency Applicant Selection

Relationship between COMLEX and USMLE scores among osteopathic medical students who take both examinations. - PubMed - NCBI
    Relationship between COMLEX and USMLE scores among osteopathic medical students who take both examinations.

TeamZissou likes this.
  47. gamerEMdoc

Feb 10, 2016
    Physician
    Faculty
    I think the key in comparing COMLEX to USMLE is that you can't compare percentiles. Someone that scores a 75 percentile on the COMLEX doesn't correlate to the 75 percentile on the USMLE. That difference is way off there.

48. TeamZissou

Sep 29, 2008
    MI
    Ah I've seen the formula from the 2006 paper before. Although when my friends and I tried it out on our scores it varied quite a bit from the actual scores. But nothing is perfect.

I do find it interesting that the pass/fail correlation is so much lower...
    "The overall correlation was r(795)= 0.84 (P , .001)"
    "Pass/fail status on the 2 examinations was moderately correlated (u = 0.39, P , .01)."

IMHO a 450 on COMLEX is the same as 550 and 600 is obviously better than a 400, but by how much?

49. gamerEMdoc

Feb 10, 2016
    Physician
    Faculty
    Yeah i think the formula isnt validated and probably not accurate on a year to year basis. It's more that the studies show a linear correlation. I don't think that you could actually use that formula all that accurately more than 10 years later.

50. Dr.Jekyll75

Dr.Jekyll75 2+ Year Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Murica
    Hey guys I'm gonna ask a very naive question so please bare with me. So my first rotation is EM and I'm slightly interested in it, but since I'm fresh off pre-clerkship I'm worried about looking like a moron and only knowing facts, and random stuff. Any recommendation how to look good on rotations for EM.

51. MelMcT2009

MelMcT2009

Jul 22, 2016
    I'm a third year so take this with a grain of salt.

I think knowing how to present well is a really important starting spot. Doesn't matter how much we know, if we can't present patients well the other stuff isn't going to matter. Presentations in EM are a bit different than presentations in other specialties. There are numerous articles and blog posts out there giving good insight to this.

Know how to workup the most common chief complaints and be able to make a good differential. I'm starting by making sure I know CP, dyspnea, and abd pain well first. Then probably AMS, back pain, syncope. Definitely know the can't miss diagnoses for each. WikiEm app is da bomb for this stuff.

That's where I'm starting in my studying! I've always been a firm believer in nailing down the fundamentals before going to grab at details (like specific dosages for example), so my answer may be more simplistic than what you were looking for.

EM basic podcast is great for students. Emergency medicine for students is also good (and the episodes are shorter).

Best of luck

Dr.Jekyll75 and gamerEMdoc like this.