Osteopathic GPA calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nanaschool2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two questions.

1) How do Osteopathic Schools calculate Graduate school grades? Do they calculate undergrad and graduate gpa separately? In case I took Biochem in both undergraduate and graduate (recent one), does aacomas consider a grade from graduate course ?

2) Is it necessary to retake a course I did poorly in undergraduate even though grades in grad school is good? In case the applicant did graduate work recently, do osteopathic schools emphasize more on graduate performance or undergraduate performance?

Members don't see this ad.

I have two questions.

1) How do Osteopathic Schools calculate Graduate school grades? Do they calculate undergrad and graduate gpa separately? In case I took Biochem in both undergraduate and graduate (recent one), does aacomas consider a grade from graduate course ?

It is my understanding that cumulative UGPA (undergraduate GPA) is distinct from GGPA (graduate GPA). I don't know if you can do grade replacement between an undergraduate course and a graduate course. It is my understanding that they need to be essentially equivalent. You should most certainly contact AACOM regarding this question.

2) Is it necessary to retake a course I did poorly in undergraduate even though grades in grad school is good? In case the applicant did graduate work recently, do osteopathic schools emphasize more on graduate performance or undergraduate performance?

Necessary isn't the right word. It depends on your motive. If you want to raise your undergraduate GPA, you will need to take undergraduate classes; taking graduate classes won't do that for you. Individual schools will handle GPA differently, so check with the individual schools in which you intend to apply on how they view this or that and what would be more favorable. However, it has been my impression that most schools value your UGPA very much, because this allows them a way to directly compare you to your peers. Some school even screen based on it. Sure, doing well in your graduate work will definitely help your case, but since not everyone has done graduate work, it will be a less tangible means for comparison. If you did poorly in your undergraduate premedical prequisites, etc., it would behoove you to retake them so that the grade will be replaced for your UGPA calculations.

In the aacomas application it shows both a seperate uGPA and gGPA cumulative calculation, as well as a total cumulative of both combined. Some schools I have spoken with used the totat (u +g) as my GPA others use both seperately in their review process. The best thing you can do is kick butt in your course work in grad school, because the research hours don't get to count over a certain point. And then call and talk with the admissions people at the schools to which you are applying and find out which gpa they care about the most. For me, DMU cared strongly about the total cumulative (3.25), while NSU looked at both seperately and consider my improvement (2.996 to 3.92) more than the total, but both schools have all the calculations. Just what I was told by the admissions office of each school. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe the next cycle is only two months away! What a freakin ride!

Good luck to new applicants perusing these forums. Feel free to come out of the wood work!

I can't believe the next cycle is only two months away! What a freakin ride!

Good luck to new applicants perusing these forums. Feel free to come out of the wood work!

Probably a stupid question, but by next cycle, is that referring to when applicants for the following year (Fall of 2008) can start applying?

Probably a stupid question, but by next cycle, is that referring to when applicants for the following year (Fall of 2008) can start applying?

:thumbup:

Thanks for your advice, Spicedmanna & Madscientist. I wonder which school looks into a combined undergraduate and graduate gpa. If anybody knows, please pm me or reply to thread. :)

Thanks for your advice, Spicedmanna & Madscientist. I wonder which school looks into a combined undergraduate and graduate gpa. If anybody knows, please pm me or reply to thread. :)

None.