osteopathic medical school transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mistermister123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've read some forum regarding people talking about it from second hand source but never from the horses mouth. I have some family illness that has been before I entered medical school but has severely worsened the past 2 years. Some off the faculty know my situation and have consoled me during my 2 years but I haven't asked them about transferring. I know transfers happen during the 2nd to 3rd year and I need to speak with my dean, which I hope he understands my situation. So if anyone has any experience with it, I wanted to find out how did you transfer osteopathic medical school what was your experience and how did you go about it? also i wouldn't mind being inbox as well, I would sincerely appreciate it,

Thnks

Members don't see this ad.

You also need to contact the dean of the school you want to go to. Every school has a transfer procedure on the books. However, I believe U.S. med schools have a gentleman's agreement to discourage people from moving around, and transfers are granted only on rare occasions or if it involves a faculty/staff member.

You also need to contact the dean of the school you want to go to. Every school has a transfer procedure on the books. However, I believe U.S. med schools have a gentleman's agreement to discourage people from moving around, and transfers are granted only on rare occasions or if it involves a faculty/staff member.
Most posters will state that transferring is only allowed under rare circumstances. However, it would probably be most helpful for OP to hear from those that have actually attempted.

First look into the transfer policies of the school you want to transfer to (most will have it in their handbooks/policies and others will have it on their websites), and find out what you'll have to do and when. I would then talk to your dean and explain your situation, and see what they say. Also, be sure you double check where a certain school does rotations for 3rd and 4th and be sure you can get slots nearby your home.