Osteopathic Medical school transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andrewwiggin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done a few searches and did not find a clear answer, I apologize if this is a worn out topic.

I am nearing the end of my second year of osteopathic medical school. I am in fine standing, top third of the class. I am involved in a number of extra curricular activities and a member of a few student professional societies.

What are the chances of a transfer to another osteopathic medical school. Third year rotations are hub based at my current institution, and while there are sufficient sites to accommodate all the students, the locations are not geographically diverse, and there are not enough positions at some of the more popular locations to allow everyone interested to rotate there.

I am aware of one individual that transferred to begin his third year, but am not aware of his circumstances, and have not been able to contact him. Is there anyone who has personal experience with this, or can give me some information about the policy at their school?

I suppose my first question is under what circumstances is a transfer allowed?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide

Members don't see this ad.

dr.z said:
Did you check the web site of the school you want to transfer to? They often list the requirements.

I have looked into a few institutions but the transfer requirements are either not listed or pretty ambiguous, so I thought I would check the forum for someone with some first hand experience.

Thank you again for the tip

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to the Dean of the College before you contact any other schools. The dean will determine if and where you can transfer. Many of the Deans of schools are friends, and can make it happen much easier than you or anyone else can.

If you're a second year, it might be too late to apply to transfer, unless you want to go to NYCOM. They'll take anyone.

Also depends on your dean. I know that VCOMs dean refuses to sign the papers to let anyone transfer as several have tried.

badgas said:
Also depends on your dean. I know that VCOMs dean refuses to sign the papers to let anyone transfer as several have tried.
MSUCOM's Dean won't do it either :mad:

so, what will be an alternative route for support to transfer if the Dean of your school does not approve? obviously they loose a student and therefore lots of tuition money, but the school you want to tranfer to usually (90%+) of the time wants a letter from the school's dean you are attending. this must be illegal somehow for a dean to yield so much power over a student.

gottalovemilk said:
so, what will be an alternative route for support to transfer if the Dean of your school does not approve? obviously they loose a student and therefore lots of tuition money, but the school you want to tranfer to usually (90%+) of the time wants a letter from the school's dean you are attending. this must be illegal somehow for a dean to yield so much power over a student.
A student at MSUCOM who would've been part of the class of 2007 wanted to transfer for a pretty legitimate reason after her first year. The Dean would not comply. She ended up dropping out, retaking the MCAT, reapplying, and starting all over.

futuredo32 said:
A student at MSUCOM who would've been part of the class of 2007 wanted to transfer for a pretty legitimate reason after her first year. The Dean would not comply. She ended up dropping out, retaking the MCAT, reapplying, and starting all over.

That sucks!

I'd say if you had a dean that wouldn't sign it and you have a good reason, I'd hire a lawyer. Guarantee that will work.

Doc 2b said:
I'd say if you had a dean that wouldn't sign it and you have a good reason, I'd hire a lawyer. Guarantee that will work.
yes. that is what i was thinking. because it would be a load of crap to have that much control over students.