Osteopathic Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebige

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried searching for this topic but could not find anything... so I apologize if this question has been covered already:

Is it harder for for an Osteopathic student to match into an Ophthalmology residency. I know there are DO Ophthalmologist out there... but I was just wondering if you are considered to be at a disadvantage if you were a DO applying for a Ophthalmology residency. Are you at a disadvantage despite your USMLE / COMLEX scores , Reseacrh.. etc.

Thanks for your help Everyone!

** Edit... for dumb mistake :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

If you are taking the USMILE and COMPLEX you will cetainly have a problem since programs will probably only accept USMLE and/or COMLEX scores:)

raptor5 said:
If you are taking the USMILE and COMPLEX you will cetainly have a problem since programs will probably only accept USMLE and/or COMLEX scores:)

You have to take USMLE for allopathic programs. This is the only way for them to compare you against MD applicants.Get the letter of recommendations from well-known names, do research. The top 10 usually ignore DOs, the rest of the programs vary.
BOTTOM LINE, YOU HAVE TO TAKE BOTH TESTS at least for step I

Members don't see this ad :)
try searching again, this topic has been addressed before :)

i've spoken directly to some program directors and chiefs and they all said they don't really consider DO's w/o a USMLE score.
Ophtho is tough for anyone- MD or Do. Personally, I've found that it take a little more effort as a DO to get considerations. however, there are DOs that match every year. IMHO, difficult but not impossible.

Good USMLE step I, impressing the right ppl on showcase, (+/- rsh) seems to be what's worked in the past.

Best of luck :thumbup:

and wish back b/c i'll need it when i apply at the end of the year.

It is almost (but not completely) impossible for a DO to match into an MD ophthalmology program. Last year while interviewing, I met not one DO on the interview trail, and I met only a single resident who was a DO.

For further evidence of this, look at the JAMA medical education issue. It tells the numbers of DO's/foreign grads that match into MD programs in all specialties, not just ophtho. In ophtho, the number is usually in the single digits (I think last year was four DO's nationwide matched in ophtho. Does anyone have the issue to verify this? It's in my basement somewhere)

My impression is that PD's in most competitive specialties consider DO's in roughly the same group as foreign grads (i.e, significantly inferior to US-MD applicants). Generally, they won't seriously consider your application unless they have a very specific reason, i.e, a letter from someone they know, or perhaps you rotated there and really impressed them, etc. A sad truth, but the numbers bear it out.

With that said, there are osteopathic ophtho residencies that take only DO's. These may not be as prestigious, but would be a much better bet in terms of your liklihood to match.

When I applied I didn't meet a single osteopathic applicant on the interview trail. I did meet a handful of fmg's though. Not saying that ophtho programs give preference to fmg's. Maybe there are just more fmg's applying for ophtho than D.O.'s

I have 1 question though. Why can osteopaths apply to allopathic ophtho programs but allopaths can't apply to osteopathic ophtho programs?

the deal with osteo residencies in ophthalmology and in general is this:

1) there are only 5 ophth residency programs (7-9 spots per year nationwide) and you can't apply till pgy-1 year for 3/5.

2) historically, b/c DOs faced such great discrimination for residency consideration, a small number of residencies were created only for DOs to ensure placement of applicants not given real consideration into a allopathic res.
now that there has been some improvement with DOs mathching into allo residencies in almost all fields the current policy of DOs only for osteo funded residencies is presently being re-negotiated and is expected to change to welcome allopathic applicants as well within the near future.

pls don't be mistaken- we don't dislke md's.

Ouch. 7-9 spots nationwide? That's pretty rough.

I think it's appropriate to keep a few spots for DO's only in the competitive specialties. The students who are at the top of their classes at the large DO schools are usually just as good as the top MD applicants, and generally don't get the same consideration. And especially with all the new DO schools popping up, it will make it harder and harder.