Osteopathic Ortho Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ski2Doc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just looking around at these and there seems to be many of them in michigan and ohio. I am NOT in school in those states.
My school's state has only one, obviously i will apply there (hopefully get to rotate there too). But it is just one program.

I would like to increase my chances of matching, but doubt i will be able to rotate in time or at all in MI or OH.

Are my chances okay there(MI/OH) or are there DO schools that take all those spots up with no room for "out of towners"?

Along the same lines does nayone know why there are so many osteopathic programs for ortho in those 2 states?

thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Most the DO programs including the ones in Michigan and Ohio are open to non-base students. However, it is certainly in your best interest to rotate at a program to be strongly considered there. Every year there are some programs that take students that did not rotate through, but it is not common and those tend to be the students with the ridiculous applications.

Since you bring up OH and MI osteopathic ortho programs… Does anybody have good or bad things to say about some of these programs…. Especially programs in NE OH. I’m looking into setting up rotations at these places and wondering if anyone has anything to say about them.???

Members don't see this ad :)
Many of the programs are strong in these two states are strong. In Ohio, Columbus has a strong reputation. Also, South Pointe was a strong program. They gave there residents a lot of early operative experience and rotate through Cleveland Clinic. Didactics are strong in South Pointe, Toledo, and Dayton.

In Michigan, Botsford is a strong program. They have very skilled attendings, but do not get much operating time until their PGY3 year. Many students I rotated with agree that Genesys is regarded as a top tier program. They have an unmatched caseload with a variety of great fellowship trained attendings. Though very busy, they have a lot of good trauma, Total Joints are strong, and they have a ridiculous number of sports cases (including a Harvard fellowship trained sports guy).

Just my two cents, I know how hard it was to find information when I was a 3rd year looking to set up rotations. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

I'm in the same boat with bonebreaker...in Ohio, Columbus and Dayton are strong, best rep. I'm a PGY-I in columbus..so I am biased but I did learn a lot about the OH and MI programs as a student. Rotated at Genesys, great place (see bonebreakers comments..pretty much right on). Was my second choice. Offered an interview at Botsford, another strong prog, but they held interviews same day as Doctor's on Columbus..that kinda sucked. I also have plenty of info on the prog's here in OH so feel free to pm me if ya need any help.

N

how is ortho residency program at peninsula hospital centre, N Y? How much is the payscale during residency?

there are many good programs in michigan and ohio and you will come out well trained but there are 3-4 big programs that not only have the caseload but also have the variety
michigan:
botsford- great program. very hands on and the residents all seem very happy. match great fellowships.
lansing - this program does not get the pub it deserves somehow but they have 20 + attendings and several of them fellowship trained. cover a level I trauma center and if you want to learn how to scope there are few other places in the country MD or DO that could match this place. in addition, you get to operate w/MSU team docs
pontiac
genesys

Ohio
grandview
columbus
toledo

these are the top tier programs according to me.

To answer the original question, I think it would significantly improve your chances of matching if you did a rotation. I'm not osteopathic, but I do know some of the residents in the programs mentioned above and from what I hear many of the spots are pretty much filled based on rotations and they know who they are taking even before interviews. They are not officially outside of the match, but they might as well be. This makes it even more important for an osteopathic student rotate at a prospective program compared to an allopathic student.

I just matched the DO Ortho Program in Chicago (Olympia Fields). It was my number one choice. Where is everyone else going?

I new to this forum. I'm interested in ortho. How difficult is it to match D.O. ortho? Does pretty much everyone match that wants it? Does it require superb board scores? Do people who's school only allows 2 electives in one field find it difficult to match? What does one have to do to match D.O. ortho. I'm new to this, any insight is helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I was hoping that some of you who are further down the track might be able to contribute some of your knowledge and experiences. This site seems to have a good set up to access straight forward information but has no base as of now. Thanks in advance!:thumbup:

http://www.orthogunner.com/osteopathic_directory/

I think orthogate.org is better and has a lot more information. Site is down right now but the forums are available. orthogate.org/forums

I really don't understand why DOs are so concerned with getting into the most competitive medical specialties... Most did not get into an MD program, but now they want to take the hot jobs. When DOs were actually give the privilage to practice medicine in the US during WWII, it was because of a shortage of primary care docs.

I really don't understand why DOs are so concerned with getting into the most competitive medical specialties... Most did not get into an MD program, but now they want to take the hot jobs. When DOs were actually give the privilage to practice medicine in the US during WWII, it was because of a shortage of primary care docs.

:laugh:

I am sure that you also think that because someone has a 40 on the MCAT that it qualifies them to be a great physician, correct? Go to the pre-med forums to talk about this crap! It seems as though that is where your mindset is anyway.

Classic post by someone who knows nothing. Oh and many have taken "your boards" if we are wanting to do a competitive speciality and many on here have scored as well or better, so people who want a competitive specialty just have to be that...competitive.

I was wondering, will being in the national guard on drilling status (one weekend a month, two weeks a year) be looked at unfavorably by residencies and PD's in particular? Said another way, will I be able to match DO orthopedic surgery if I have to drill once a month? I will be non-deployable, so that won't be an issue, I was just wondering if PD's won't look at me b/c they might consider me as a liability b/c I will be unavailable one weekend a month. I guess I don't know how schedules work, maybe residents have at least 1 weekend/month off.

I think its going to be a problem. If they say ok to you and your outside committments, then they have to say yes to everyone.

I don't see it working out too well

Hidden Gem St. Vincent Toledo, OH - You will see everything here. Heavy in trauma, sports, total joints. Another spine guy is coming on-board in 2010. Lots of hand cases with the fellowship trained plastic surgeons. Tumor cases sprinkled throughout. Hospital is in ghetto of Toledo - means trauma is a big part of the residency. Close to big cities Detroit, columbus, & Windsor Canada - great places to live in nearby Perrysburg and Sylvania Ohio. Liked it here - academics are very strong - at least 3 mornings a week. Their residents score in top percentile every year!!! They have fellowship trained Trauma doc, Total joints doc, Spine doc, and Sports Doc. Pediatrics is across town at toledo hopsital. No real foot and ankle - but get plenty of trauma foot and ankle. Residents very well liked by hospital staff.
This place blows the other programs away. Ortho clinic every Monday - very interesting cases - (you book the case - you are 1st assist). First year residents were doing carpal tunnels, ankle fractures, elbow fractures, metacarpal fractures - you get the operating experience your first year!!! This is UNHEARD of at any other program (usually have to wait till 3rd of 4th year). Second years are doing ACL's, knee & shoulder scopes. Very hands on program. Anatomy course with dissection of a fresh cadeaver 2nd year. Trauma call 20 days a month. Research is here if you want to do more than the required 1 project.
Got to have the board scores (at least 85) to rotate - you will not be disappointed. I have investigated many ortho programs, but nothing compares to the experience at St. V's. Residents are great and enjoy their program. Entire 4th year is spent on out rotations - this again is the ONLY PLACE where I have heard this happens. You want to do more trauma in Denver - done, Sports with the Alabama sports institute - done, more pediatrics in tampa - done.
I hope I match here. Take 3 a year - possibility of 4 in the next 2-3 years. This place is one of the top programs I know.

Sweety, we'll all be thinking of you remembering the Kreb's cycle next year.

Hello!

I'll be heading to NSUCOM this August, and I was just curious if anyone can say anything about the Largo and Broward ortho programs. Thanks!

Can anyone comment on the Kansas City of Blue Springs programs? I'm from an east coast school and don't know much about the hospitals.

Alot of that stems from a bird in hand. Why try for the MD ortho match when you have a DO ortho spot. Its a monster gamble. Worked for some. Not for others.

Any new comments on the Peninsula ortho program? I've already done a search on sdn and the comments about the hospital and the gen surg program, albeit from 2007 and prior were pretty negative...

Alot of that stems from a bird in hand. Why try for the MD ortho match when you have a DO ortho spot. Its a monster gamble. Worked for some. Not for others.

The way the match is set up will be changing this year. I'm not entirely sure about the specifics but it will be interesting to see what happens.

The way the match is set up will be changing this year. I'm not entirely sure about the specifics but it will be interesting to see what happens.

How is it any different this year than from previous years?

How is it any different this year than from previous years?

Something about how the scramble is going to change. I guess there were a TON of students trying to match MD who then wanted to scramble into DO traditional rotating internships when they didn't get what they wanted in the MD match. So maybe they will have you rank things and a second "scramble match" will take place. Truthfully I don't fully know all the details and I'm not even sure they would be able to implement something like this by the time next year's match comes around.

I know some residents there and they are happy with the ortho program. They cover alot of hospitals, peninsula is just the base. Alot of cases and from what i hear they get their numbers by pgy3.

What kind of stats are needed for DO's to match into ACGME ortho residencies? Just curious.

250+ in the boards with plenty of research with solid away rotations will make you pretty competitive, though I am sure people have matched with worse credentials. But if you are gonna shoot for the stars, you better be a baller.

What kind of stats are AOA ortho programs looking at to match? Some of the "top tier" programs in particular? I'm in the process of setting up my away rotations for 4th year, and I would like the best residency but I would also like to match! I'll give you guys an idea of my stats and you can give me an idea of where I should rotate:

I come from a top DO school and I'm top 5% in my class, 200 hrs of ortho research with a couple of awards, took a research honors class, and took another additional course through the first 2 years of med school - it was at least a few extra hours of class time a week. 616 COMLEX (OMM killed me lol). Doing well on clinical rotations (good evals, honoring NBME shelves). Planning on doing much better on COMLEX II. What do you guys think?

You think I should shoot for a couple of the top programs, and then one where I know I can match or are my numbers good enough to match into some of the top programs? Any advice would be appreciated guys. Thanks!