• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Status (Visible)
On http://www.aacom.org/data/cib/01-om.html I read "... osteopathic medical students complete approximately 200 additional hours of training in the art of osteopathic manipulative medicine. This system of hands-on techniques helps alleviate pain, restore motion, support the body?s natural functions and influence the body?s structure to help it function more efficiently."

My question: Do Osteopathic doctors have an edge in PM&R (vs. MDs) due to this extra training?

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
I would say so. Why don't you ask drusso who is a moderator here on SDN. He is also a DO doing his PM&R residency at the Mayo clinic.

About the Ads

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
There is more to PM&R that just manipulation and "physical medicine".

Those who will do best are the ones who paid attention in Neurology.

But over the entire spectrum I think DOs have a head start, if you will, when it comes to the physical med part.

klgsatx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2002
Status (Visible)
UTHSCSA program has several DO's in their program...and I think this year a DO is chief resident or it was last year:wow:

PTjay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2001
west hartford, CT, USA
Status (Visible)
Actually PM&R stands for Plenty of Money and Relaxation. Seriously though gujudoc yes you're right about the abbreviation. DOs seem to do very well with matching into allopathic PM&R spots because of their training. As a PT who will likely be attending a DO program this is a great area of interest for me.

Palpation as I understand is huge for DOs and OMT would definitely be helpful in some circumstances of PM&R. Check out the PM&R based forum for more information.

-J

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.