Osteopathic PM&R docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
On http://www.aacom.org/data/cib/01-om.html I read "... osteopathic medical students complete approximately 200 additional hours of training in the art of osteopathic manipulative medicine. This system of hands-on techniques helps alleviate pain, restore motion, support the body?s natural functions and influence the body?s structure to help it function more efficiently."

My question: Do Osteopathic doctors have an edge in PM&R (vs. MDs) due to this extra training?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say so. Why don't you ask drusso who is a moderator here on SDN. He is also a DO doing his PM&R residency at the Mayo clinic.

There is a female DO Rehab doc here in Raleigh. From what I asked her about being a DO, she says in come in handy every once in a while but it's not a really commonplace thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is more to PM&R that just manipulation and "physical medicine".

Those who will do best are the ones who paid attention in Neurology.

But over the entire spectrum I think DOs have a head start, if you will, when it comes to the physical med part.

Neuromuscular neurology is a unique fit for DOs.

UTHSCSA program has several DO's in their program...and I think this year a DO is chief resident or it was last year:wow:

Actually PM&R stands for Plenty of Money and Relaxation. Seriously though gujudoc yes you're right about the abbreviation. DOs seem to do very well with matching into allopathic PM&R spots because of their training. As a PT who will likely be attending a DO program this is a great area of interest for me.

Palpation as I understand is huge for DOs and OMT would definitely be helpful in some circumstances of PM&R. Check out the PM&R based forum for more information.

-J