Osteopathic PM&R Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tallion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am currently a 2nd year DO student and interested in going into PM&R. Now that everyone has matched, I thought I'd see what people thought about the osteopathic PM&R programs. As far as I know there are 4 taking residents: NSUCOM/Larkin, NYIT-Long Beach, NYIT-Nassau, and EW Sparrow in Michigan.

The reason I ask is that I have an elective block during my 3rd year and would like to use it for PM&R. Unfortunately, my school doesn't really have any opportunities for PM&R rotations during 3rd year (the only preceptor we have is at a rural pain management practice, and it is really more of a shadowing experience than a rotation), so if I want to do anything else I have to set it up myself. According to AOA opportunities website: all 4 of the osteopathic programs accept 3rd year students for rotations.

I'd love to know what people think of those programs, either from their experience during interviews or as a resident. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think Western has a new program in Cali.

And there are programs that accept 3rd year students.

Just have to look harder.

Western has a program, but when I spoke to their graduate medical education director it sounds like they've been having problems and they won't accept any students to rotate through there. The only allopathic programs I've seen that take 3rd year students are : Alabama, Penn State, and UPMC.

I'm just curious to see what people think about the osteopathic residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Western has a program, but when I spoke to their graduate medical education director it sounds like they've been having problems and they won't accept any students to rotate through there. The only allopathic programs I've seen that take 3rd year students are : Alabama, Penn State, and UPMC.

Add JFK in Jersey.

You're welcome.

Thanks! I'll definitely look into them.

That's great that Penn State takes 3rd years, but they don't have a residency program- doesn't mean you shouldn't look into rotating- just to keep in mind...

So what your saying is the programs in pm&r usually only take fourth year students for rotations?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using SDN Mobile

If you are far along in your 3rd year and have your cores done you may be able to rotate at places that only take 4th years, though. If that's your case you should definitely call around to see.

Why not bump this thread considering that it is DO match day. I would love to hear reviews of the DO programs and where they fit within the PM&R residency landscape. Also would like to hear if anyone is actually attending one of these programs, or just matched.