Osteopathic Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmc3830

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you could clear up confusion I have about Osteopathic Residencies. Once you finish with your four years of medical school, what are your options? Can you go into an allopathic residency? Is it much more competitive for DOs to get into these residencys? I know that many DOs go into primary care, and I was wondering if there are osteopathic residencys for specialties like surgery or anesthesia? Which prepares you better for the real world of medicine? I am very interested in osteopathic medicine and want to make sure I have all of the facts :) Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you could clear up confusion I have about Osteopathic Residencies. Once you finish with your four years of medical school, what are your options? Can you go into an allopathic residency? Is it much more competitive for DOs to get into these residencys? I know that many DOs go into primary care, and I was wondering if there are osteopathic residencys for specialties like surgery or anesthesia? Which prepares you better for the real world of medicine? I am very interested in osteopathic medicine and want to make sure I have all of the facts :) Thank you.

Yes. You can go to an allopathic residency, but you must take the USMLE boards in addition to the COMLEX. It may be harder for D.O.s but I am not sure.

Yes. There are surgery residencies.

I don't know what prepares you for the real world... I think its what you take out of your education. D.O. schools give you plenty of patient contact, but that is my biased opinion and may not be true.

For every allopathic residency there is almost always a DO residency. If you're aim for a top residency spot it seems the degree doesn't matter, its more of a craps shoot. For you to get your top-of-the-list spot for residency there are many factors that determine your fate, all of which come down to you (Board scores, LORs, etc.). I believe there are five states in the country, Pennsylvania one of them, that require DO grads to do a year internship before moving onto residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe there are five states in the country, Pennsylvania one of them, that require DO grads to do a year internship before moving onto residency.

I addressed this not too long ago, so I have pasted the previous response:
There are five states that still require a traditional rotating internship. This needs to completed in an osteopathic or dually accredited program or an exception needs to be approved through Resolution 42 (which is not difficult to accomplish). In many cases, this can be incorporated into the first year of the residency and won't add a year to the total post grad education.

also, please do a search for osteopathic residency in this forum. There are a ton of threads on this topic as well. :thumbup:

Yes you can be an osteopathic physician and do an allo residency, but overall it can be harder to get an allo residency only due to the fact that not all residencies are familiar with COMLEX and there is a slight stigma still out there. But those stigmas are slowly fading away with more awareness of osteopathy in the US. DO's have almost all the same residency's that MD's do minus a very few select (I think we came up with 2 in another threads, like pathology and rad onc).

Most DO schools have a range of 50-75% that go into primary care, so that leaves a good balance going into fields outside of the scope of a PCP.

Good luck with your search in finding the information that you need. :luck:

Yes. You can go to an allopathic residency, but you must take the USMLE boards in addition to the COMLEX. It may be harder for D.O.s but I am not sure.

No residency can require a DO student to take the USMLE. Many DO students opt to take both exams if they are interested in allopathic residencies to make comparisson easier for directors.

As a DO student you have the choice between osteopathic and allopathic residency. Which one you choose depends on a number of factors, but both will prepare you for the "real world of medicine".

For every allopathic residency there is almost always a DO residency. If you're aim for a top residency spot it seems the degree doesn't matter, its more of a craps shoot. For you to get your top-of-the-list spot for residency there are many factors that determine your fate, all of which come down to you (Board scores, LORs, etc.). I believe there are five states in the country, Pennsylvania one of them, that require DO grads to do a year internship before moving onto residency.

Does anyone know the 5 states? I've wondered for a while, but never really found the information.

William T. Riker here. Computer, recognize log-in.

Osteopathic residencies are plentiful but stigma against osteopaths is particularly high in the states where there aren't many of them. I would suggest not applying in those states. A few of these states are in the Northwest part of the country.

Riker logging off.

Osteopathic residencies are plentiful but stigma against osteopaths is particularly high in the states where there aren't many of them. I would suggest not applying in those states. A few of these states are in the Northwest part of the country.

Riker logging off.

Got to love him folks.

He comes in clueless, misinforms, and then wanders out.

Riker logging off.

Did scotty beam you too far? That is almost a month off without a post!

Does anyone know the 5 states? I've wondered for a while, but never really found the information.

They are FL, OK, PA, MI, and WV.

Technically, Oklahoma doesn't require a DO internship. This means that we don't have to go through the resolution 42 process for AOA approval of an MD internship if we don't want. If you don't do a DO internship or go through resolution 42, you have to have done certain rotations as part of your internship. Covering these (gen'l medicine, ob, surgery, peds, IM, EM) may or may not be feasible if it isn't already scheduled into your intern year.

They are FL, OK, PA, MI, and WV.

Technically, Oklahoma doesn't require a DO internship. This means that we don't have to go through the resolution 42 process for AOA approval of an MD internship if we don't want. If you don't do a DO internship or go through resolution 42, you have to have done certain rotations as part of your internship. Covering these (gen'l medicine, ob, surgery, peds, IM, EM) may or may not be feasible if it isn't already scheduled into your intern year.

Thank you very much!!