Osteopathic School Rankings????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gilby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a ranking of Osteopathic Medical Schools. Does anyone know if such a ranking or comparison exists? I am a career changer, took the MCAT in August and am finalizing applications. Need some guidance PLEASE!!

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean ranking?. Ranking of what? Best primary care placements? Best campus? Best specialty placement? Oldest? Hardest to get into? There is no general "rank".

do a search on SDN... for Rankings. I remember this issue has been around before.

By the way the real answer is... the best school to go to is the one you get accepted to. If more then one DO school accepts you .. then the best one is the one you will be most comfortable with for the next 2 years + 2 years on rotation.

A degree is a degree is a degree... of course the reputation of the school and their success rate, dealing with students is important. If you read more threads on SDN you can formulate your own rankings. Person to person rankings can vary.. based on the two reasons given above.

Members don't see this ad :)
gilby said:
I'm looking for a ranking of Osteopathic Medical Schools. Does anyone know if such a ranking or comparison exists? I am a career changer, took the MCAT in August and am finalizing applications. Need some guidance PLEASE!!

Hey...check out US News and World Report...you probably have to buy the magazine to get all the rankings. Also, osteopathic schools are ranked with allopathic schools...they are not seperate.

Yasmina said:
Hey...check out US News and World Report...you probably have to buy the magazine to get all the rankings. Also, osteopathic schools are ranked with allopathic schools...they are not seperate.

There's only two schools that make it in US News ranking for the primary care category. Most DO schools don't have the research funding that allopathic institutions have, and that is why they aren't really ranked. Whether one becomes a good physician depends on you. If you really care about the rankings of school, you should try allopathic route.

Not to mince words, but I disagree that the quality of your medical education and training as a medical student depends 100% on the student's efforts. I've heard this said a lot on SDN, and I felt the need to put this out-Sometimes you get a horrible rotation or the school has a really poor anatomy lab/microbiology lab...there are some things in medical school that you can't learn just out of the books.

I'm not saying the quality of education does not mostly depend on the student, I'm just saying that sometimes where you attend school will have an influence on how well you are trained and how well you do on the board examinations.

*I concur that most schools in the US provide adequate education, and that in the US, what you get out of medical school mostly does depend on student effort.

yposhelley said:
Not to mince words, but I disagree that the quality of your medical education and training as a medical student depends 100% on the student's efforts. I've heard this said a lot on SDN, and I felt the need to put this out-Sometimes you get a horrible rotation or the school has a really poor anatomy lab/microbiology lab...there are some things in medical school that you can't learn just out of the books.

I'm not saying the quality of education does not mostly depend on the student, I'm just saying that sometimes where you attend school will have an influence on how well you are trained and how well you do on the board examinations.

*I concur that most schools in the US provide adequate education, and that in the US, what you get out of medical school mostly does depend on student effort.

I do agree. If one school has very high board passing rate compared to other school (I found out during interview). I would imagine that the preparation at school does make a difference since people that attend medical schools have similar cognitive capabilities. I would say the outcome depends on the school and the person.

dr.z said:
There's only two schools that make it in US News ranking for the primary care category. Most DO schools don't have the research funding that allopathic institutions have, and that is why they aren't really ranked. Whether one becomes a good physician depends on you. If you really care about the rankings of school, you should try allopathic route.

What are the 2 schools that make the US News ranking list in primary care? I was just curious. Thanks!

MSUCOM, TCOM, and WVSOM are part of the "Top 62"