Osteopathic Students' USMLE Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteojazz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if youre a DO student and took USMLE I and now II let us know how it went!

my NBME scores are predicting ~210 for step II

need inspiration here, people.. lol...

Members don't see this ad.

Comlex I - 586
USMLE I - 219
Comlex II - 688
USMLE II - 249

UW and Kaplan alone used for step 2. Use those and you'll do well :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

Here is what I used: FIRST AID and USMLE WORLD. I studied for 3.5 wks 8-10hrs a day w/ sunday off.

STEP 1: 225; COMLEX 1 : 598
STEP 2: 250 (UW- 67% (Timed/Once/100% complete)); COMLEX 2: waiting

GOOD luck to everyone!

KCOM c/o 2009

I beat the mean on Step I too. Do your best. I personally felt like I had to take it just because if I didnt I woudl have always wondered what I was capable of.
Good luck!

COMLEX Step 1 626
USMLE Step 1 231

COMLEX Step 2 719
USMLE Step 2 252

COMLEX I - 688
USMLE I - 252

COMLEX II - 726
USMLE II - 268

used FA/UW for both step II's, and used simmon's manual for the OMM (vague questions just like step I :thumbup:)

Step 1 = 219
COMLEX = 497

Step 2 = 228
COMLEX = not taken yet

Trying for an MD surgery spot, this is probably going to screw me. And if I had two other letters in back of my name I could be confident on matching somewhere at least.

Step 1 = 219
COMLEX = 497

Step 2 = 228
COMLEX = not taken yet

Trying for an MD surgery spot, this is probably going to screw me. And if I had two other letters in back of my name I could be confident on matching somewhere at least.

preaching to the choir.

since more usmle/comlex scores came out would like to know how more DO students did!

I did average as predicted.. lol..

Members don't see this ad :)
COMLEX I 623 - Used Kaplan Qbank and FA
USMLE I 212 - Used UW and FA (taken during 3rd year clinical rotations, had no time off to study-should have taken it after 2nd year...)

COMLEX II & USMLE II scores not back yet

i did pretty well on usmle I and comlex I but some people think I scored well d/t having to take a medical leave of absence (somehow I get wind of comments like, "he took a year off to study for the boards") when I was off getting surgery on my spine, and rehabing.

now, I feel like I'm cornered into taking USMLE step2, and early just to prove to programs that my step 1 score wasn't d/t an unfair advantage of 365+ days of non-stop board prep...

do you think program directors are going to care?

or do I just have to explain on my applications/personal statement that I had to have surgery...

i did pretty well on usmle I and comlex I but some people think I scored well d/t having to take a medical leave of absence (somehow I get wind of comments like, "he took a year off to study for the boards") when I was off getting surgery on my spine, and rehabing.

now, I feel like I'm cornered into taking USMLE step2, and early just to prove to programs that my step 1 score wasn't d/t an unfair advantage of 365+ days of non-stop board prep...

do you think program directors are going to care?

or do I just have to explain on my applications/personal statement that I had to have surgery...

I feel like it doesn't matter if you took 1 year or 10 years off ... your board scores show exactly what it's meant to show -- your grasp of medical knowledge. I don't think anyone will penalize you for a taking a year off for medical reasons even if you rightfully took advantage of that time to enhance your medical knowledge.

I think it would be a good idea to add an explanation for that year off in your personal statement.

USMLE II 235 (97) used UW (finished 65% of Qbank with ave in the upper 50s/low 60s), COMBANK (70% ave), B&W

USMLE II 246/99:)

Sources used:
1. Usmleworld 100% completed with average in 60s - this was my primary study tool
2. FA for step 2
3. Kaplan surgery notes
4. blueprints for OBGYN and gyn kaplan videos
5. casefiles for peds and psych

Last edited:
I feel like it doesn't matter if you took 1 year or 10 years off ... your board scores show exactly what it's meant to show -- your grasp of medical knowledge. I don't think anyone will penalize you for a taking a year off for medical reasons even if you rightfully took advantage of that time to enhance your medical knowledge.

I think it would be a good idea to add an explanation for that year off in your personal statement.

yes it does matter. it's really not practical to be a slow learner. in real life medicine you need to become competent in a short period of time. if you need 10 yrs to do well on Step I, that does not bode well for your patients. but to the OP, i don't think anyone will care/notice how long you studied. you could never have picked up a book that whole year for all they know.

"you need 10 yrs to do well on Step I, that does not bode well for your patients"

Quoted for humor. Do you really think some of the best Dr. in the US remember their Step I info? Do you believe each and every single one of them remembers all the basic science materials jammed into step I and step II? I would venture a guess MOST could not remember the steps of gluconeogenesis.

We all do the same thing with Step I --- load up the memory and dump most of it out the window when it is all over. Of course there are the mental giants out there that remember each detail until the day they die, I am not one.

Quoted for humor. Do you really think some of the best Dr. in the US remember their Step I info? Do you believe each and every single one of them remembers all the basic science materials jammed into step I and step II? I would venture a guess MOST could not remember the steps of gluconeogenesis.

My point was not that you need remember the specific details from Step 1, but that the ability to go through the learning process in a reasonable amount of time is as important as the information itself (or moreso).

USMLE I: 254/99
COMLEX I: 674/94

USMLE II: 253/99
COMLEX II CE: 681/95

It's nice to be a fourth year and see the hard work studying for both steps paying off with interviews.

For Step 2, I used Qbank, Step-Up Medicine, and Crush (which I was disappointed by). Planned to use Case Files, which I'd used for shelf exams, but didn't really get through them all again. I'm the one person in the world who didn't use B&W, it seems, but whatever I did worked. Lots of books and lecture notes got pulled off the shelves for one-off things I needed to read more about. Clearly Savarese didn't get taken off the shelf enough since I didn't break 700 like some of you smart folks in this thread.

Hi everyone, I'm a third year DO student and was wondering if it would be a good idea to take all the USMLE Step II exams in addition to the Comlex Step II's?

I took the USMLE Step I (217) and plan on taking the USMLE Step II. I still don't know what I want to go into yet, but probably nothing super competitive (see Step I score). I'm also not sure if I want to do an MD or DO residency. Ahhhhhhhhh, maybe I don't know anything ...

Help?

By "all," do you mean also taking the USMLE CS? I think that's $1000 of overkill, though there's at least one member here who will disagree. I don't personally know anyone taking it from my school, though there are a few of us taking CK. (And even more who took both exams for Step 1). There is rumored to be a way to extricate yourself from DO-dom forever by taking all three steps of the USMLE, including II CS -- you can search for threads on it.

I did both comlex and usmle for step 1(646/239). For step 2 I only did comlex(668).

Im doing interviews now for PM&R and most of the program directors like that I took usmle 1 but seem to agree with me on not taking usmle 2. I just tell them I took step 1 for comparison since I wanted to apply allopathic and because I wanted to be more competitive. I tell them I didnt take step 2 because I was told by advisors not to worry about it. They all so far have said the same thing " Yeah, I agree with your advisors". They see that I didnt go down on my comlex 2 score and assume I would not have gone down on usmle either. Just work hard and at least match your comlex 1 score and you will be good.

step 1 228/95 comlex 660/93

step 2 244/99 comlex 599/89

Applying to IM with hopes for cardiology

used UW, FA, and secrets.

Questions were similar to UW and secrets had key high-yields that were present as well.

Last edited:
For an internal medicine residency, are there any allopathic programs that accept COMLEX scores or view them the same way as the USMLE? should I take both? Are osteopathic residencies as effective as allopathic residencies? Thanks!

There are a good bit that do, depending on where you want to train. You can Google something like 'allopathic internal medicine residency comlex' and someone has done the work for you, partly. However, you probably need to score a standard dev above what you'd need for a comparable usmle score to get nods, and you won't be going to top programs without a usmle. Correct me if I am mistaken.

For an internal medicine residency, are there any allopathic programs that accept COMLEX scores or view them the same way as the USMLE? should I take both? Are osteopathic residencies as effective as allopathic residencies? Thanks!

There are several that will accept the COMLEX equally. However, you should contact each individually for the best answer. I've spoken to programs that claimed to accept COMLEX, and a few told me, "We accept COMLEX, but we strongly recommend you take the USMLE too." So, take that for what it's worth.