Osteopathy and "The Sopranos"??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grkbuckeye

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just saw on the SOMA web-site, that the AOA sent a letter to HBO after its most recent episode of the Sopranos. Does anyone know what it had to do with??? It doesnt say anything about it on the web-site. Just curious, I love that show!

Members don't see this ad.

I saw the episode and actually there was a thread about it on SDN when the episode came out in the osteopathic forum too if you want to do a search for it. It's an episode where Tony is telling Chris (I think that's his name, the young kid that ends up going out with Meadow) that his father really wanted him to go to medical school and not get involved in criminal activity. Chris replies that his GPA is really low and he has been doing research into osteopathic schools but doesn't even think that he can make it into those schools. I'm pretty sure that the episode will either be replaying this Sunday (probably) or the following Sunday at 8pm est on HBO.

Yup, it was the episode that re-ran tonight, sorry if you missed it. By the way, the character's name was Jackie Jr., he was going to Rutger's but he said that his grades were not even good enough for osteopathy after Tony told him that his dad wanted him to go to medical school.

I didn't find the osteopathic allusion particularly offensive.

The character, Jackie Jr., who made the comment, is an idiot. Not only would he not qualify for DO schools, but he is so ignorant that mispronounces osteopathy as "Osteo-pathy."

His attitude actually reminds me of a number of MD wanna-bees who consider "going DO."

One of the real strengths of the Sopranos is that the dialog is often so close to how real people actually think and speak.

As an Italian-American, I am very rarely offended by the Sopranos. The shows portrayal of cultural stereotypes is usually quite nuanced and accurate.

Though, some people are so insecure that they really have a tough time laughing at themselves. And, they are therefore way too quick to complain.

The only time I was offended by the show was the episode where Chris and Paully get lost in the woods. Granted, they were totally out of their element, but they were portrayed as completely incompetent nincompoops.

Sorry if anyone finds this offensive/unPC/provocative, but I have a slightly related observation/question.

Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a disproportionate number of Italian-Americans that go to DO school, especially on the East Coast?

Any idea why?

Are there elements in our culture that are particularly compatible with the osteopathic approach?

Perhaps it is because of our comfort level with physicality and touching?

Or, is it because years ago, our applicants suffered from discrimination at elitist, anti-catholic, WASP allopathic schools? And, we now have more connections to the DO world?