Osteopathy with Acupuncture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HIROKO

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,This is my first visit here.Nice to see you all.I am a student of Tokyo Medical Institute in Japan,majore in Acupuncture,moxibustion and massage.
I have been looking for some articles about
clinical cases, using Osteopathy with Acupuncture together.I am not very sure D.O.
use Acupuncture as pain management in US
but I think these two method can be
combine to get good clinical resolution.
Is there any movement of using Acupuncture in the field of Osteopathy?
Does your osteopathic instructers mention
about Acupuncture for pain management? Any
little information would help me a lot.
I would be very happy I can exchange email
with med.student who are in D.O. thanks!
e-mail:[email protected] Tokyo,Japan

Members don't see this ad.

I am a student from NOVA Southeastern University, Florida. I originally from NY and I saw a DO use acupuncture for arthritis patients.

Can you post your email again I can't figure out the first 2 letters.

Hi,Henry. Thanks for your reply message.
Adress is :[email protected].
Since my email friend (med student in US)
told me about Osteopathy,I became fall in love with the method of it !(lol)
I am very interested in the theory of osteopathical treatment. I have been looking for some articles about the combine treatment of Osteopathy and Acupuncture, but I realized it is very hard to find out.
First,we have few Osteopathical Physician in Japan,in the strict sense for of the words.
We have similar therapist which is called Chiropractors,but they are not fully licenced as a physician. Therefore, we may not have much information about the combine
treatment Osteopathy & Acupuncture.
Second,as far as acupuncture is concerned that is an alternative therapy and osteopathic medicine is traditional medicine
with a different philosophy of care ,so osteopathic school does not teach acupuncture as a part of osteopathic medicine.
However,Acupuncture are well known as a drug-less treatment for the vital human mechanism. And it is the rationale therapy which is based upon knowledge and use of anatomy,physiology and pathology etc(at my school)
So, I really want to work with D.O.to know the efficiency of the combine treatment of Osteopathy And Acupuncture in future.
I would be glad if I could have email friend
whom I can talk about what we learn in each fields:Osteopathy & Acupuncture.
Excuse my english....Take care all!
Hiroko Nishizuka

Members don't see this ad :)
P.S.
the first 2letters does not come out right.
C L J P A L E E @aol.com
(just in case...lol)

Was that Joel Stein, D.O. by chance, Henry?

Gregory Gulick
Accepted, NSUCOM '03
http://www.osteopathic.com/gregory

No the doctor is not Joel Stein.

Does Joel Stain D.O.use acupuncture,too?
Is he famous in Osteopathic field?

Try e-mailing Dr. Phil Greenman at Michigan State U. and ask him to point you in the right direction. I have e-mailed him before and he was very prompt in returning my question? He is the guru of OMT in osteopathic medicine. I know he talks a little of accupunture in his book, "Manual Medicine". I'm a chiropractic student and I know many chiros also do accupunture for pain management.

SpineDoc

ive often wondered about that...

I know that NSU's OPP instructor (Elaine Wallace DO) uses accupuncture quite frequently in her practice. She's awesome!

Hi I am a student at OUCOM. There is a trained retired general surgeon at our school (Dr. Edward Gotfried) who now runs his own acupuncture clinic right on campus. It is quite popular and through the alternative medicine club at our school acupuncture is becoming more known as a pain management tool. Also he takes students over to China to study TCM. I was able to go there and study acupuncture, moxibustion, as well as massage and qi gong. He does this in hopes of inspiring future physicians into looking at other forms of medicine.

Yes Dr. Wallace at our school(NOVA) does use alot of Acupuncture in her practice.She is one of the most amazing doctors I have ever seen.

I heard the other day that the Dali Lama may be coming to our school to see her and get some OMM treatment.Evidently, he has been reading about Osteopathy and thinks that the phil. and the hands on is great.

I cant verify this yet maybe someone else at our school can.If he did come, that would be very cool..we shall see

I'm a 3rd year at KCUMB. One of our family medicine docs, Dr. Sun (MD, not DO, though) offers accupuncture in his clinic. He taught us one laboratory session in accupuncture, although it was only a one-time introduction, and by no means did he intend to make us experts. He does not actually believe in the commonly taught theory behind accupuncture concerning "qi" and "vital forces", but he thinks the technique probably works by somehow repressing slow (type C) pain fibers.

We just had an OPP class on Acupuncture last week at WVSOM. It was demonstrated on a student after class and the physician who presented the lecture uses it alot in her DO practice. I'd post details but I am missing my lecture handout. We PBLers don't spend too much time in lecture :/

-Richie