OSU-COM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you get pulled off the waitlist, you will get a call from Dr. Stuart first. Then they will mail your stuff via UPS, and they might even give you the option of coming to the school to get it I think too.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys...I got off the waitlist at OU, so I am going to be withdrawing from OSU. I hope one of you all gets my spot!!! Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know of anyone starting the MBA/DO program this year in Stillwater? I'm looking for roomates.

if you get an acceptance how much is the deposit and is it refundable?

Ahhhh!!! I want in so badly!!!! anyone with any news??

MonsterAddict, the deposit is $100, but I'm not sure if it's refundable...

I've been in Jamaica all this past week, and I had this really great plan that when I got back, I would have a voicemail from the school, and it would just top off my vacation, the icing on the cake, you know?

Unfortunately, no such message. So I'm still just waiting :oops:

That's awesome Dadof2boys! I move in about a week. Guys, just hang in there. I don't know what is going on with the waitlist or anything. All I know is that even if things don't work out this year, its almost time for another application season to be started up full force. This is worth trying over and over again for. I had my mind made up I would apply as many times as it took. Even if that isn't the case, there is still time for some good news!

Just trying to make some money and spend time with the family before we move at the end of July.

Did you find a place to live?

Here's hoping my start at medical school works out better than my start of summer. In consecutive days, the pull string broke on my two year old Honda mower, the belt broke on our sweeper and threw burnt rubber on the carpeting, and my drive belt broke on my five-month old treadmill about winging me head first through the wall.

I hope this isn't an omen of things to come.

P.S. - Did anyone attend the June 14th new student thingie? I was out of town and did not get to attend.

Well we're pretty much moved in, but still working in the yard on beds/fountatins, etc... Drove the way to school a couple of times and got an average of about 20 mins to get there from here (Sth 161st & Memorial). Now just hanging out and waiting to start school.

Does anyone know the how, when, where about Orientation week? I know we have a day of etiquette, a day in the sticks, and so on, but where do we report the first day and all that. I'm getting ready to go up to campus and hand in my paperwork ( insurance, loans, med history, etc..) I still need my last TB test, which is tomorrow, but other than that I"m done... I'll attach a pic of the house..

Attachments

• House1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 156
P.S. - Did anyone attend the June 14th new student thingie? I was out of town and did not get to attend.

I went! It was pretty cool. Eventhough I won't really be in the class of 2012 it was nice meeting everyone! I don't have to do all the orientation days with you guys (since i will just be a masters student the first year), but I do remember her saying the first day is when you guys are going to do the team building exercise in the woods. They are supposed to send out a real schedule later on in the summer.

I move to Tulsa in a month!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you find a place to live?

Yeah we did. We found a great place in a very good neighborhood, just east of Mingo-14 minutes from campus (yes I timed it-I am kinda a nerd that way). We just gotta find a new home for the original kitchen appliances, ca. 1966. Anyone want a teal fridge?

I went! It was pretty cool. Eventhough I won't really be in the class of 2012 it was nice meeting everyone! I don't have to do all the orientation days with you guys (since i will just be a masters student the first year), but I do remember her saying the first day is when you guys are going to do the team building exercise in the woods. They are supposed to send out a real schedule later on in the summer.

I move to Tulsa in a month!

Well, I look forward to meeting you soon, MS or not. Team building exercise in the woods?

Sounds a little kinky to me...but hey, I'm all for it at my age.:love:

Yeah we did. We found a great place in a very good neighborhood, just east of Mingo-14 minutes from campus (yes I timed it-I am kinda a nerd that way). We just gotta find a new home for the original kitchen appliances, ca. 1966. Anyone want a teal fridge?

Glad to hear it. 14 minutes is a nice drive and much closer than me. I'll think about where I could utilize a teal fridge...probably makes the ice cubes pretty, huh?

If you're not originally from around here, you definately want to test your route to the school at about 7:30am before you count on those times. Anyone traveling on HWY 75, Creek Turnpike/169 or the BA Expressway especially because those highways are crazy in the morning.

And to anyone on the final waitlist, I talked to Sarah Q today. She can't give out the number of people on the final waitlist, but she said they sent letters of reapplication to 20-30 people on the original waitlist. She also said they have been seeing some movement lately, but couldn't really give me numbers on that either. And she said they encourage waitlisters to call and update their application or just keep in touch all the way until August, so don't give up yet!

I got summoned for jury duty in oklahoma city on July 14th... needless to say I'm supposed to move on July 15th. Anyway I can use the fact that I'm moving to Tulsa to get out of it? Or that I'm going to be a full time student?

If you're not originally from around here, you definately want to test your route to the school at about 7:30am before you count on those times. Anyone traveling on HWY 75, Creek Turnpike/169 or the BA Expressway especially because those highways are crazy in the morning.

Good advice.

FWIW: I drive Hwy 75 from the Jenks/Glenpool area & it takes me about 12 mins to drive in to the hospital, which is a little farther than the school.

Hey guys if you're looking to move into a place close to school, may I suggest the beautiful westport apartment complex. They're close to school, I can walk from my door to the class room in 2 1/2 mins.

The price isn't great but the convince is awesome. I didn't even drive my car for weeks at a time, sad but true all I needed was right there withing 200 yards of each other.

The point of this is if you do decide to move in say that I suggested you and I get $250, I'll split it with you. Just shoot me a message.

This is totally legit.

Congrats to you all and see in the fall.

I found a really cute place in Broken Arrow. I wil be sure to test the route before school starts. I am excited about orientation. Apparently the woods thing is a series of personality tests, etc to show you who you are most compatible with and who would make the best study partners. should be interesting!!

Hey guys if you're looking to move into a place close to school, may I suggest the beautiful westport apartment complex. They're close to school, I can walk from my door to the class room in 2 1/2 mins.

The price isn't great but the convince is awesome. I didn't even drive my car for weeks at a time, sad but true all I needed was right there withing 200 yards of each other.

The point of this is if you do decide to move in say that I suggested you and I get $250, I'll split it with you. Just shoot me a message.

This is totally legit.

Congrats to you all and see in the fall.

There is a lot of crime at Westport and in the area directly around the school. I would recommend against living in Tulsa on that side of the river in general. 161st and Memorial is going to take atleast 30 in the morning.

General things for people looking for places to stay in Tulsa: If the street is named after an Indian tribe or a tree its probably a pretty rough area. 61st and Peoria has the highest crime rate in Tulsa.

There is a lot of crime at Westport and in the area directly around the school. I would recommend against living in Tulsa on that side of the river in general. 161st and Memorial is going to take atleast 30 in the morning.

Nope sorry Bob incorrect. I've now driven it four times. Once at 700am, 715am, 730ish and 830ish.. I speed a little bit, but I've pulled up to campus at exactly 20 mins all 4 times.. I'm pretty bored right now as my wife started her new job here in town, so I've gotten up with her and left when she left just for something to do... Then stop by the gym on the way back.. And the north side of town is pretty rough, I'd stick with an outlying subburb... (Jenks, Bixby, Owasso, Broken Arrow) Also I'd make sure that you have more than one lifeline to get to school (i.e. the BA) just incase that semi trailer rolls at 4 am and its not cleared in time.. :)

And I really do appreciate the help bob, not trying to be a smart a$$ just couldn't resist with your I.D... I've been so bored lately that I'm about to crack open a histo book.. :scared:

Nope sorry Bob incorrect. I've now driven it four times. Once at 700am, 715am, 730ish and 830ish.. I speed a little bit, but I've pulled up to campus at exactly 20 mins all 4 times.. I'm pretty bored right now as my wife started her new job here in town, so I've gotten up with her and left when she left just for something to do... Then stop by the gym on the way back.. And the north side of town is pretty rough, I'd stick with an outlying subburb... (Jenks, Bixby, Owasso, Broken Arrow) Also I'd make sure that you have more than one lifeline to get to school (i.e. the BA) just incase that semi trailer rolls at 4 am and its not cleared in time.. :)

And I really do appreciate the help bob, not trying to be a smart a$$ just couldn't resist with your I.D... I've been so bored lately that I'm about to crack open a histo book.. :scared:

General things for people looking for places to stay in Tulsa: If the street is named after an Indian tribe or a tree its probably a pretty rough area. 61st and Peoria has the highest crime rate in Tulsa.

Are you going North on Memorial to the Creek and North on 75? That's how I have that route envisioned in my head...

So if any of ya'll newcomers want to buy your medical equipment for the clinical skills class for cheap let me know. I still have all that stuff and haven't used it since medschool.

The house next door to me is about to be listed as a HUD foreclosure. It has been vacant for one year, and I bet you could get a smoking deal. It was built late in 2006 and the lady only lived there a few months. It is a 3BR/2Bath/2Car garage. It has a fully wood fenced backyard. The info posted on the outside of the house says to contact any real estate agent or pyramidrealestate.com for more info. It hasn't been listed on HUDs website yet, so you're getting a little heads up over everyone else. The address is 21 Fairlane DR, Sapulpa,OK 74066. It takes me 20 minutes from my driveway to parking at the school. The neighborhood is very quiet and comfortable.

No actually I drive a mile up to 151st and cut str8t across to 75, then its just a straight shot north. 60-65mph on 151st (slight speeding as it is 55 part of the way then 65 the rest) then 70-75mph on 75 till school..

Direwolf, what all do you have? and what do we actually need?? I might be interested....

Dr. Mom.. Ya I know I'm just anxious to get on the road.. I've been working on our new house like crazy, putting in shrub/flower beds, building fountains, painting, etc... I've even been mowing our yard every 4 or 5 days.. :)

Dr. Mom.. Ya I know I'm just anxious to get on the road.. I've been working on our new house like crazy, putting in shrub/flower beds, building fountains, painting, etc... I've even been mowing our yard every 4 or 5 days.. :)

You're always welcome to help out at my house. :D :smuggrin:

No new news from anyone? None here either. I tried to call Sarah Q Monday, but she is out of the office on vacation until next Monday.

No new news from anyone? None here either. I tried to call Sarah Q Monday, but she is out of the office on vacation until next Monday.

I haven't heard anything yet :(...i'm still hoping for the best though! Good luck to you and to everyone else waiting!

Well, I called back and talked to Sarah today. Nothing too exciting though. She told me there are not any openings right now that the committee needs to meet on, if spots open up, they will call up until orientation (August 11 is the first day), and they have started receiving AACOMAS applications for next year. So I guess it looks like another long year.

I just found out there are only two DO/MS students this year! Last year there were five. Isn't that weird? Looks like i'll be taking histo and biochem with the rest of you, though!

There are only 3 DO/MBA students, which I thought there were a lot more last year. To the classmates of 2013.

I think there were four do/mba students last year. I met one of them at the admitted students day. She seemed happy she did it!

Congratulations and Good studying for all you that's been accepted...and GOOD patience to all that's on the LIST:D:D

I was just wondering how many of you that are accept are OOSers??? I know my chance are greater for getting in to OSU if I live there for at least 12mos, but exactly how does that go?? Can I live there during the year that I apply or do I have to live there prior to applying??

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations and Good studying for all you that's been accepted...and GOOD patience to all that's on the LIST:D:D

I was just wondering how many of you that are accept are OOSers??? I know my chance are greater for getting in to OSU if I live there for at least 12mos, but exactly how does that go?? Can I live there during the year that I apply or do I have to live there prior to applying??

Thanks in advance.

http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/student/admissions/entrance.cfm

This link says that you need to have lived here for 12 months to be considered instate.

http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/student/admissions/matrprofile.cfm

This link kind of gives you an idea of how many OOSers get interviews. I think only 8 or so actually get accepted.

http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/student/admissions/entrance.cfm

This link says that you need to have lived here for 12 months to be considered instate.

http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/student/admissions/matrprofile.cfm

This link kind of gives you an idea of how many OOSers get interviews. I think only 8 or so actually get accepted.

Thanks alot. I was thinking about moving there maybe next year...but I still have a few classes that I need to still take if I do move. What schools do you suggest that would be the cheapest to attend??

You have to work full time for that year to qualify, AFAIK. I've had some friends try to come here & take classes for a year & not get qualified as in-state. Also had the same thing happen to a friend who was working part time for over a year.

yeah from what I gathered from those links you can't be a full-time student and live here. You have to work here full-time like Dr. Mom said.

It depends on what classes you need to take. Oklahoma City Community College is good for things like physics. I think the University of Central Oklahoma is cheaper per credit hour than OU or OSU, and OSU-COM accepts a lot of people from UCO. A lot of people also seem to come from East Central University and Northwestern State University, which are in different parts of oklahoma.

yeah from what I gathered from those links you can't be a full-time student and live here. You have to work here full-time like Dr. Mom said.

It depends on what classes you need to take. Oklahoma City Community College is good for things like physics. I think the University of Central Oklahoma is cheaper per credit hour than OU or OSU, and OSU-COM accepts a lot of people from UCO. A lot of people also seem to come from East Central University and Northwestern State University, which are in different parts of oklahoma.

Thank you. Yeah I understand that you have to work fulltime while in school which isn't too bad because I had to do it here to get instate. I will be done with my prereqs its just a matter of completing my degree actually. I am definitely going to get look into those schools and to see what I can come up with. Thanks again.

any new waitlist news from sarah quienten or anything? Its about game over i guess.

I talked to Sarah Wednesday, and technically there is still a week left to get a call, but she said they haven't seen any movement in a couple of weeks :(

My family and I are moved in (at least the boxes that were in the truck are now in the family room-we have at least 4 years to get them unpacked), and boy did we pick the wrong week to get used to a new climate. Other than the heat/humidity we feel right at home and have been introducing ourselves to our awesome neighbors.

Cant wait for orientation next week.

Hey,

I guess I am to dumb to figure this out from the emails we've received. Is there some application that needs to be installed for Histology that is specific to the class before the orientation?

It appears 2nd year med students use software called Pinion. Is that applicable to us too?

By the way, I tried to activate my O-Key this morning as instructed. That didn't work either. When I talked to the IT help desk, they told me they don't have record of me. That is record of me anywhere in the system... Now I am back starting at the Registrar's office.

Hope they're not trying to tell me something. {Gulp}

The Pinion problem has been resolved. Pinion has nothing to do with the 1st year medical students only for us that are taking the pathology class.

The Pinion problem has been resolved. Pinion has nothing to do with the 1st year medical students only for us that are taking the pathology class.

Was there an email sent out about histology? Let me know so I can try to get that sent to me, too.

Then I suppose I'm ready for medical school; at least the orientation part. If there's such a thing.

Thank you for the info.