OSU-COM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys!!!
I know this is a weird question, but I can't seem to find any other OSU-COM perspectives on here...we all know you pretty much need to be an in-stater so I guess I am asking where all the other Oklahoman pre-meds are! I know of like one other (you know who you are) but it would be really cool to get yalls input on the application process there, how interviews will be, etc.....
If you're out there, let me know!!!

count me in on this one. waiting to hear about upcomming interviews, I have been looking everywhere for when interview invitations will be sent out still haven't found anything. Have heard that end of september first of october is when they send invitations out. Sure hope I get first round interview followed by acceptance letter shortly thereafter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they only take OOS'ers that are from states without med schools, or from surrounding states? That'd suck, because I'd totally apply apart from the fact I'm about as far from Oklahoma as possible (New York). Any OOS OSU-COM students get in? What if you had real high numbers (i.e. 3.7 Nonsci, 3.5 Sci, >30)?

From the osu-chs website, happy I'm in state because it looks pretty tough if you are out of state.

Acceptance Profile
Total Students Accepted: 88 (100%)
MCAT Average: 8.9
Average Overall GPA: 3.5 Average Science GPA: 3.42
Oklahoma: 76 (86%)
Non-Resident: 12 (14%)
Male: 53% Female: 47%
Ethnic Minorities: 19%
Application Profile
Total Applications Processed: 1,075 (88 positions available)
Oklahoma: 248
Non-Resident: 827
Interview Profile
Total Interviews Granted: 199
Oklahoma: 151
Non-Resident: 48

Yikes! 60% of residents get interviews (151/248), compared with 6% out-of-staters (48/827)!

Not so sure, but aren't all state schools stats similiar to these?

Not so sure, but aren't all state schools stats similiar to these?

Yeah, I'd assume so. However, I wouldn't be surprised is Ohio U would have far fewer OOS students applying and eventually matriculating. I thought I read somewhere around here that if you are OOS, you have to agree to practice in Ohio for 5 years after you graduate or something. If true, I wouldn't apply there.

Yikes! 60% of residents get interviews (151/248), compared with 6% out-of-staters (48/827)!

But keep in mind that some low-stat applicants apply widely. OSU-COM has higher than average DO matriculation stats. If your GPA, MCAT, etc are good, then it is worth applying.

Hey Guys!!!
I know this is a weird question, but I can't seem to find any other OSU-COM perspectives on here...we all know you pretty much need to be an in-stater so I guess I am asking where all the other Oklahoman pre-meds are! I know of like one other (you know who you are) but it would be really cool to get yalls input on the application process there, how interviews will be, etc.....
If you're out there, let me know!!!

Hey Myofibroblast! How ya been, chica? I know you know about me, but I thought I'd drop by! Nice thread! How's the app cycle going for you so far?:luck::luck:

HAHA pretty good!!!! Got confirmed from OSU-COM that my application was complete around the second week of August!!! Just waiting to see if I get interviewed.....I'm SOO nervous about that part!!!

I have been complete since around the second week of June the wait has been long, and first round of interviews getting near. the wait is horrible.

Members don't see this ad :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aFUv2KO8So[/youtube]

Skip to about 3:10

HAHA pretty good!!!! Got confirmed from OSU-COM that my application was complete around the second week of August!!! Just waiting to see if I get interviewed.....I'm SOO nervous about that part!!!

Pshh, you know you're going to get an interview. And you'll totally knock it out of the park! When should they send out interview invites?

Man, I don't know....I'm not so sure.......I've been getting more and more discouraged.
There is a pre-medical class for health professions next door to my lab and one of the ladies from admissions for OSU COM was talking to the students telling them you need an MCAT of 9 to be competitive and that they almost always reject students the first go around, the average age for matriculants is 25, etc......I know I will do all this again if I have to. That was the case with the MCAT, but the thought makes me wanna throw up!!

Yeah, but that average age SUCKS for me. Personally, I always wanted medicine and I jumped the gun right out of high school, took a lot of hours every semester since, will graduate on time with a 4 year degree. In the meantime, I have kept awesome grades and jumped through all the hoops they expect of everyone else. However, I just turned 21. That means I will have just turned 22 before classes start next year. That is considerably under the average age of 25. I don't understand why they would punish people or put them at a disadvantage because they always knew exactly what they wanted and have been going straight for that goal. Yeah, yeah, life experience, etc but as far as that goes, I have been through way more of that than most people my age. Guess I'll just have to wait an see.......

Here here!

Hey DrMom, what's the status on the little controversy on the funding issue between the hospital and supporting the residency programs?

Here here!

Hey DrMom, what's the status on the little controversy on the funding issue between the hospital and supporting the residency programs?

I've been told by my friends who are still there that there will be no funded supspecialties next year (optho,ENT,rads,ortho,) as well as there will be 1 less IM, and potentially 1 less surg in conjunction with the already 1 EM spot which was lost. I'm sure DrMom probably has more insider scoop than I do however.

And if you read the Tulsa world, you'll see that the state has started the process to sue Ardent.

I was beginning to wonder where all the OSU-COM people were on this site. I changed my address, drivers license and registered to vote in Oklahoma about 15months ago just so that I could apply instate. How did you guys find out if your file was complete? I am relatively sure that the last of my letters went in 2 wks ago, but not positive. My stats weren't great, but not bad either. 26 MCAT, 3.6 Cumulative and 3.56 Science. I'm relying on the fact that I'm a registered Xray tech with about a year and a half experience not including clinicals. I really only applied to OSU-COM and KCUMB so I'm getting a little nervous. I know that interviews are supposed to start in October so people should be getting invites any day now...

Yeah, but that average age SUCKS for me. Personally, I always wanted medicine and I jumped the gun right out of high school, took a lot of hours every semester since, will graduate on time with a 4 year degree. In the meantime, I have kept awesome grades and jumped through all the hoops they expect of everyone else. However, I just turned 21. That means I will have just turned 22 before classes start next year. That is considerably under the average age of 25. I don't understand why they would punish people or put them at a disadvantage because they always knew exactly what they wanted and have been going straight for that goal. Yeah, yeah, life experience, etc but as far as that goes, I have been through way more of that than most people my age. Guess I'll just have to wait an see.......

I know what you mean. I'm 19 now, I'll barely be 20 when I apply! eek. Just remember, there is a 12 yr old in med school in Illinois! He gives me hope. ;)

Don't give up hope! You have AWESOME EC's, your GPA is great, and you're OKLAHOMAN...so don't worry so much!

Almo, you're awesome!!!!!! Thanks so much for the support!!! I need that every once in a while....all I hear is 'you're way too young....that's really gonna go against you!'
Well, I will just have to prove my maturity in the interview!!!!!

In response to the person asking about how I found out my application was complete, they sent me a postcard that said "Just a quick note to update your current status: Your file is complete and will be reviewed by the admissions commitee. Should the commitee determine to invite you for an interview, you will be contacted by phone. Interviews will be conducted from November 2007 through April 2008. For further information, please contact the Office of Student Affairs"

there are always young folks in each class. It only takes a couple of 36-44 year olds to run up the average age for the class ;)

I've been told by my friends who are still there that there will be no funded supspecialties next year (optho,ENT,rads,ortho,) as well as there will be 1 less IM, and potentially 1 less surg in conjunction with the already 1 EM spot which was lost. I'm sure DrMom probably has more insider scoop than I do however.

And if you read the Tulsa world, you'll see that the state has started the process to sue Ardent.

Ardent is pulling funding for some spots (as JC listed..except that EM has actually lost a PGY2 spot for 2 years) for next year. The state & OSU are doing the right thing in not letting Ardent misuse the $. My hope is that Ardent will be gone soon.

All that said, I wouldn't let that make any difference in whether or not to choose OSU as a medical school. This will be taken care of in one way or another and the residents and medical students will be trained.

Thnks for the info Myo... I guess I'm just waiting now... Age is not a big deal. The fact of the matter is that a lot of nontraditional students return to college and finish their pre-med requirements then apply DO. I've seen a couple of studies that were done and all of them showed a wide margin of Non Trad. Students applying DO compared to MD. That really moves the age average around... Regardless of age as long as your app. is quality you'll get in...

you young ones should hope they let me in as I am 31 if they let a 21 yo in then the average of me and you would be 26! So root for me and I will return the favor and help keep the average :). Seriously there will be enough older students to balance everyone else, and just keep in mind the average is just that the average.

HAHA thanks guys!!! I'm so glad I found this site!!! It's so great getting to talk to people who are going through the same thing!!! I know, average is average...I just freak out sometimes!!!
I personally know TEN, not kidding TEN, people that started OSU-COM this August and all of them were in the grade ahead of me and they are all the same age I will be this time next year and they got in!! I just need to relax.....I think it's just the wait is getting to me. If I get an interview, I can start freakin' out about something else!! haha!! At least I get to hit the Oklahoma State Fair this weekend, eat a turkey leg and fried mashed potatoes on a stick, and enjoy the view! LOL!!!

HAHA thanks guys!!! I'm so glad I found this site!!! It's so great getting to talk to people who are going through the same thing!!! I know, average is average...I just freak out sometimes!!!
I personally know TEN, not kidding TEN, people that started OSU-COM this August and all of them were in the grade ahead of me and they are all the same age I will be this time next year and they got in!! I just need to relax.....I think it's just the wait is getting to me. If I get an interview, I can start freakin' out about something else!! haha!! At least I get to hit the Oklahoma State Fair this weekend, eat a turkey leg and fried mashed potatoes on a stick, and enjoy the view! LOL!!!

oh my gosh, aren't the fair's turkey legs the BEST? I haven't been in a few years, but I still remember the taste! lol.

I'm pretty sure the wait is getting to everyone. Did you apply anywhere else besides OSU-COM? I think you might have told me, but I don't remember! :oops:

you young ones should hope they let me in as I am 31 if they let a 21 yo in then the average of me and you would be 26! So root for me and I will return the favor and help keep the average :). Seriously there will be enough older students to balance everyone else, and just keep in mind the average is just that the average.

Guess I'll REALLY be skewing the averages....When I apply June 08, I'll be 52! :laugh:

HAHA that is awesome!!!!! Well, they shouldn't discriminate a 52 year old, just like they should discriminate a 21 year old!!
Oh, by the way, raised my MCAT THREE POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OSU-COM here I come!!!!

HAHA that is awesome!!!!! Well, they shouldn't discriminate a 52 year old, just like they should discriminate a 21 year old!!
Oh, by the way, raised my MCAT THREE POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OSU-COM here I come!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap: I knew you could do it! WTG, myofibroblast!

I wonder why OSU-COM is so far behind in inviting interviews compared to other area schools? I'm checking my mail in Okla. 2morrow, but sounds like KCUMB sent me an invite and I got all of my OSU-COM materials in 3 weeks earlier...???

I wonder why they don't publish the start date of interviews. Listed is october/november seems a bit vague, oh well just like in the military hurry up then wait. they are teaching us patience

I think the entire application process is "hurry up and wait."

You hurry up to take the MCAT, then wait for your results.
You hurry up to submit your primary, then wait for your secondaries.
You hurry up to submit your secondaries, then wait for interviews.
You hurry to your interview, then wait for a decision.

I think entire system is a little screwy, but that's just my $.02.

Don't worry, OSU tends to run a little behind other schools, I don't remember too many interviews starting before November. You guys have plenty of time to chew your nails.

Calm Down guys!! Be patient!!
I have talked to medical students there.....first interviews at OSU-COM is the week of October 22.....the next round is the week of November 12 and then the next two rounds are the last two weeks of november. They keep interviewing intil March so don't worry!!!!! They contact you BY PHONE anyway. Nothing will get lost in the mail.

a little inside information always calms me down. I will stop checking my email fifty times a day hoping for an invite, and keep my cell phone at my side. Thanks and good luck everyone. Now time to study o chem for a bit.

Did anybody else elect to not answer the "What other [medical schools] have you applied to..." question?

As an in-stater, of course I'm going to apply to OSU-CHS. I also will have their their "if you graduate from OSU undergrad with an Honor's degree, you're automatically accepted" bit. But still, I don't think they really wanted to see Cornell, Yale, etc... and OU.

First off relax... I was in Tulsa earlier today and got a few opinions and read local papers. It's a state school so you can guarantee there will be training available to all students. OSU med ctr or Tulsa regional is only one of the hospitals that OSU uses. I got my invite to interview at KCUMB in my hands today for oct 22nd, so I would like to see OSU get on the ball with their interviews as they are my #1 choice.
I realize OSU is great at primary care and rural med, but you really want to try to attend the biggest/best/most prestigous residency program you can, which is usually an MD residency. Basically relax and know that the situation will be handled..:thumbup:

First off relax... I was in Tulsa earlier today and got a few opinions and read local papers. It's a state school so you can guarantee there will be training available to all students. OSU med ctr or Tulsa regional is only one of the hospitals that OSU uses. I got my invite to interview at KCUMB in my hands today for oct 22nd, so I would like to see OSU get on the ball with their interviews as they are my #1 choice.
I realize OSU is great at primary care and rural med, but you really want to try to attend the biggest/best/most prestigous residency program you can, which is usually an MD residency. Basically relax and know that the situation will be handled..:thumbup:

Congrats on the invite!

OSU Medical Center has a 132 resident program, which may be cut in two years. So, I don't think I'll be able to relax for a while! lol. This is my DREAM school, it would suck if I got in and there weren't enough residencies to go around. I'm really not interested in an MD residency. I'm DO through and through. Man....I just don't know what to think...

Congrats on the invite!

Tulsa Regional (or Ardent now) has a 132 resident program, which may be cut in two years. So, I don't think I'll be able to relax for a while! lol. This is my DREAM school, it would suck if I got in and there weren't enough residencies to go around. I'm really not interested in an MD residency. I'm DO through and through. Man....I just don't know what to think...

Tulsa Regional is now OSU Medical Center. Ardent is the owning company, not the name. The residency spots are linked to the school and can be moved to another site if it comes to that (and it may very well not come to that). I'm in training now & will finish after the remaining 2 years is over. I'm not worried.

Tulsa Regional is now OSU Medical Center. Ardent is the owning company, not the name. The residency spots are linked to the school and can be moved to another site if it comes to that (and it may very well not come to that). I'm in training now & will finish after the remaining 2 years is over. I'm not worried.

Oh, thanks. I wasn't sure how that worked.

Dr. Mom said it way better than I could put into words... relax!!..

As for the residency thing that's fine being DO thru and thru. I read a great book the other week.. "The Definitive Guide for the D.O. Seeking an M.D. Residency." GREAT BOOK.. I suggest everyone check it out. No matter how osteopathic you are. It all comes down to work after residency... just my .02. Hope all goes well Almo

Oh, thanks. I wasn't sure how that worked.

And don't worry, I've heard from the Attendings that St Francis is clamoring to get a few residency spots as well. The state owns the the residency spots, so don't worry about them not being there.

Dr. Mom said it way better than I could put into words... relax!!..

As for the residency thing that's fine being DO thru and thru. I read a great book the other week.. "The Definitive Guide for the D.O. Seeking an M.D. Residency." GREAT BOOK.. I suggest everyone check it out. No matter how osteopathic you are. It all comes down to work after residency... just my .02. Hope all goes well Almo

I'll have to read that! Thanks a lot!

I finally got my little postcard from OSU saying my file is complete. It was sent over a week ago and looks like it was rained on, folded up, chewed on, then sent to my mailbox... Now if I could just get that magic little phone call....