OSU-COM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I got new running shoes last week. That turned out to be a pretty intense experience. There is a store nearby that when you get there, the salespeople look at the shoes you normally run in, analyze the tread wear on the soles, then have you run around the parking lot while they analyze your stride and foot-striking pattern (over- or under-pronation, etc). Then they make you try on different kinds of shoes that will work with your running style. You then go back to the parking lot and run in each, then you decide which shoe feels the most like you are not wearing shoes. (This whole premise gets its credibility from the owner who is a world-class triathlete/marathoner and running coach). I tried on about 8 different pairs of shoes before I found the ones that I felt were the best fit for me, and low and behold they were OSU colors. The shoes have been great so far and hopefully they are still in production when I need a new pair.

End bump.

Members don't see this ad.

We were sent the following by email today:

18 different specialties were chosen--

ANESTHESIOLOGY 3
ENT 1
EMERGENCY MED 11
PATHOLOGY 1
FAMILY MEDICINE 13
PEDIATRICS 7
INTERNAL MED 9
PSYCHIATRY 3
MED-PRELIMINARY 1
RADIOLOGY-DIAGNOSTIC 2
NEUROLOGY 1
SURGERY 4*
OB/GYN 9
TRAD ROTATING INT 3
OPHTHALMOLOGY 1
TRANSITIONAL YEAR 1
ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY 1
UROLOGY (PGY2) 1 * Matched to PGY1 Surgery

ALLOPATHIC 29
OSTEOPATHIC 43

MILITARY MATCHES 8

19 DIFFERENT STATES:
OKLAHOMA 41
FLORIDA 1
ARKANSAS 1
GEORGIA 2
ALASKA 1
HAWAII 1
MARYLAND 2
KENTUCKY 1
ILLINOIS 1
NEW JERSEY 1
MISSOURI 3
NEW YORK 1
OHIO 2
OREGON 4
SOUTH CAROLINA 1
TEXAS 5
VIRGINIA 1
PENNSYLVANIA 2

See attached for the full list with names of specific programs & specialties....

Attachments

• OSUCOM2008MATCH.doc
    93 KB · Views: 175
Saw a post or two about this, figured I'd get the scoop on what it is, what its about, should we attend.. that kind of thing....

Members don't see this ad :)
I went a couple of years ago, and it's pretty fun. It's kind of like an intro to the school- they give a tour and several presentations on things that OSU-COM is up-and-coming in (their telemedicine was the big thing the year I went). I don't really know if they change it up a bunch between years, so I don't know if it would be very much new info if you've been to Med X before or if you've toured the school.

Saw a post or two about this, figured I'd get the scoop on what it is, what its about, should we attend.. that kind of thing....

Med-Xtravaganza is great! It includes a tour of the school, tons of info that ranges from an overview of the various degrees offered, details on what makes a competitive applicant, specifics on steps needed to apply, to a question-and-answer period where they usually have 2 or 3 current students in addition to admissions staff to answer questions. I'm applying this year, so I have very specific questions I need answered. In the past, Med-Xtravaganza has given me a boost in morale and strengthened my desire to be a physician (usually at a time when I'm mired down in work and school and really need the encouragement to stay on this journey.)

(And, BTW, the food they serve is great!)

I hope to see some of you there!

WOW that match list is pretty impressive!! There were all kinds of different specialties people went to! Pretty awesome!

I interviewed at OSU last Friday (we were the very last interview group and there were 6 of us) and they said 1) something is happening with the ardent situation soon and 2) they are going to increase the class size by around 7 people a year starting next year until they reach a class of around 110. Any one else heard anything?

It was announced yesterday that Ardent is selling the hospital to the state and the state will choose a new management company. This is excellent news. Things are supposed to be lined up by July 1.

That takes some stress of me seeing as my parents were pushing me away from OSU due to that situation. I'm glad it all worked out.

Now that I am accepted and will be starting at UCO to finish my Clinical Lab Science degree in the next two years, maybe I'll get acceptance through UCO's guaranteed acceptance program with UCO.

That's awesome phlame! My biggest advice to you, being a UCO student for about 4 years now, is to make sure you set up an appointment with Dr. Ewing (the pre-med adviser) ASAP!!! She is AMAZING and OSU LOVES her! Your goal is to get to know her on a personal level, make sure she knows you by name and face, and go to her for advice FREQUENTLY. It will be the best thing you ever did. Trust me.

sounds good, i actually enroll tomorrow and will be having a session with her to discuss all my transferable classes and such. I cant wait.

Another step to check off the list! The MCAT is over! yay! I've never been so relieved! :cool:

How's everybody doin'? Anything new?

The wait to find out my mcat scores was worse than taking the test. Just as the wait to find out if I got an interview was worse than applying, and the wait to find out the results of the interview was worse than interviewing. Seems I hate to wait

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to Sarah Quinton today, didn't really get any new info, but thought I'd update anyway. She said there's roughly 40-50 people on the waitlist, but the number changes practically everyday- not from people getting accepted (there's only been a handful pulled from the waitlist so far) but from people withdrawing. But there is a little bit of movement in the class here and there, she said someone withdrew today. She didn't really say if they were expecting a lot of movement after May 15th, but she did say final waitlist letters would go out late May/early June. So here's to more waiting!

I wonder if they are taking people off the waitlist as people withdraw, or if they are waiting until May 15th. I heard OU usually takes around 80 people off their waitlist around May. That's a whole lot!

I interviewed at OSU last Friday (we were the very last interview group and there were 6 of us) and they said 1) something is happening with the ardent situation soon and 2) they are going to increase the class size by around 7 people a year starting next year until they reach a class of around 110. Any one else heard anything?
:thumbup: That's good news.

:luck: to all those waiting!!

Well, when Sarah told me that someone had withdrew she said "So the admissions committee will find a time to meet soon" or something to that effect, which makes it sound like they fill them as they come open.

Hey has anyone that's been accepted received an awards letter from Mr. Barron yet?? I'd like to start my loan search and get that stuff figured out. Thought I'd check in with you guys...

I just got a wait list letter from OSU. Anyone else still waiting?

Hey has anyone that's been accepted received an awards letter from Mr. Barron yet?? I'd like to start my loan search and get that stuff figured out. Thought I'd check in with you guys...

Not yet. And I finished my FAFSA in Feb.
Glad to know I am not the only one.

Hey DAZ105. Sookie and I have been waiting since November. Buckle in....its one heck of a ride. Hopefully, we will have some sort of resolution after May 15th. Or, maybe one of us will get that coveted withdrawal slot from earlier this week. Good luck!

Also, go ahead and get your FAFSA done while your waiting. It will take your mind off of the wait for about 20 minutes!

I'm with StephO. Been waiting since november. This is my second year to be waitlisted (made the "final waitlist" last year). Not to be a pessimist, but with OSU's class being so small theres not much hope. But maybe you'll have better luck, so good luck.

I was on the waitlist last year and I've been on it since January this year

It doesn't seem like that are going to take as many off the list as they have the past. I have pretty much given up. I'm going for an update interview for my pre-med committee today!

I have been waiting to hear from David Baron as well. I am going to call this week sometime, I believe because I am pretty sure that we actually have to select a lender before that stuff comes out. They are moving some because one of my best friend's from high school got pulled off the wait list yesterday.

Another Monday behind us. We're just that much closer to applying/matriculating! Is anyone else ready for summer?!

Ah, I still have to work and take classes, but it's summer....

Im ready, but getting there is going to be a hurdle... So many tests next week, then a week to prepare for finals... uhg.

I talked to Sarah today and it seems like there is a little bit more movement in the waitlist. She said a few got pulled off today and a few more spots opened up this week.

Just a lil Bump... How is everyone doing? Spring is pretty much here. Getting pretty tired of ceramics and the other "required" classes I'm finishing in order to graduate. Does anyone know if we will be able to use the gym at OSU during the summer?

Just a lil Bump... How is everyone doing? Spring is pretty much here. Getting pretty tired of ceramics and the other "required" classes I'm finishing in order to graduate.

I have one more final then I am done. I picked up the ol' cap and gown today. Feeling pretty stoked to be done (till August).

Yeah, I am really ready to graduate myself. I have always truly enjoyed school and studying and I haven't really minded the work at all. These last couple weeks have been SO tough, though. I have zero motivation and it takes everything that I have to get up and go to school in the morning. I really need a summer vacation. Even though I will be working 40+ hours a week, it won't be school. I'm pretty terrified of school to actually start but I am ready to move to Tulsa. We can't move until the first of July though because that is when our lease is up here. A week in Cancun in June is something I am REALLY looking forward to. I really need to get on the stuff we have to have to matriculate this Fall (like immunizations, finding health insurance, and getting my physical).

Just for general information... do they specify that you should get a certain laptop? I remember when we toured after our interviews it seemed like everyone had the same computer!

They discuss this in pretty good detail at the Admitted Students day... Basicaly any laptop that is a Tablet Pc is suggested. We had 3 different students with 3 different laptops come in and give us the pros and cons of each. There was a fujitsu, HP, and I believe a gateway, but I'm not 100% on that. From what I've seen, the Fujitsu's has a little bit better/larger RAM and Hardrive, and write a little smoother. They also cost up to 1K more though. The highest Fujitsu I've seen is like 2300. Hope that helps..

Good to know. I don't currently own a laptop, but my parents were going to buy one for me for graduation.
The other day I got an email from the admissions office about submitting a letter of intent for the MS/DO program. I'm supposed to hear either next week or the week after if I got it or not. I heard they only emailed 10-15 people about the two dual programs and they admitted 9 last year (5 in MS/DO and 4 in MBA/DO). Hopefully that means chances are good!

Good to know. I don't currently own a laptop, but my parents were going to buy one for me for graduation.
The other day I got an email from the admissions office about submitting a letter of intent for the MS/DO program. I'm supposed to hear either next week or the week after if I got it or not. I heard they only emailed 10-15 people about the two dual programs and they admitted 9 last year (5 in MS/DO and 4 in MBA/DO). Hopefully that means chances are good!

Just curious, but why do MS/DO if you're admitted to the DO program? MS/Do was done by students using the MS as an opportunity to do well and get admitted for the DO program for the following year.

Just curious, but why do MS/DO if you're admitted to the DO program? MS/Do was done by students using the MS as an opportunity to do well and get admitted for the DO program for the following year.
I haven't been admitted into the DO program. I was put on the wait list after my interview. It was only wait listed applicants that were emailed about the dual programs.

I was e-mailed as well, and I signaled my intent to apply for the DO/MBA program. I don't really know what that e-mail signals, but I hope it means That were near the top of the waitlist.

Well there were very few wait listed applicants that checked that they were interested in the dual programs (10-15). You had to indicate interest on your secondary application in order to be emailed.

Hey there! My name is Michael and I am attending UCO....definitely plan on going to OSU COM in the future

Hello!

I am switching to UCO this fall. Ill be a Junior. What year are you? Whats your degree?

thats awesome! I'm a sophmore working on my biology degree. What are you majoring in?

I looking at med technology right now.

Any news from anyone on the wait list yet? None here :(

Well, I got my MCAT score back. And, I will be taking it again in August! lol. I actually scored lower on the MCAT than any of the practice test, including my Kaplan diagnostic. I have no idea how that happened. It kind of makes me wonder if it had anything to do with the power-surge while I took it. My comp froze and had to be restarted. I've thought about getting it rescored...but I don't know. Oh well, I guess I just thought I was done with the MCAT. OSU-COM is still the dream though!

Any news from anyone on the wait list yet? None here :(

No news for me. Still waitlisted. I read on here that a few people were taken off in the past month, but other than that just waiting to get final waitlist or rejection letter in late may/early june. Last year i go final waitlisted and didn't get in, but maybe you'll have more luck. Maybe there will be some movement next week and late may after the may 15 deadline for people with multiple acceptances to make decisions to get their deposits back. Potential for movement but probably not much. Good luck. I'll let you know if i here anything.

Does anyone know if we are able to use the gym at OSU over the summer? Or do we need to go find a private gym for june and july??

Don't worry about the MCAT. I think you will do better the second time around. I have the exact same story. I scored 7 points below my practice tests scores and I took 15 of them so I figured my real score would be at least 2-3 points within that range. I absolutely despise Kaplan and I can't say that enough. If I had to do it over again, I would definitely use ExamKrackers. I tell all the pre-med students here at UCO to at least use ExamKrackers with Kaplan. But anyway...I scored better my second time because I had been through the testing process before. It's really scary the first time you take that test. The atmosphere is very intimidating. You will be more comfortable your second time.

Does OSU also rank it's waitlist? When I had asked Sarah about that in the beginning she said know, since the waitlist was pooled in with each interview group. But when the "final waitlist" is decided in May/June, will we be ranked then?

I dunno about you all, but I'm really losing hope for movement on the OSU waitlist... :(

There will be a lot of movement after the 15th because about 9 people will be taken off and put into the two dual programs. They said there are only 5 applicants for the MS/DO program, and last year they accepted 5 people into it... so hopefully the chances are good. You never can tell, though.