OSU Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bja

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a coming up interview at Oregon and I was wondering if anyone who has been there knows how long it takes to get from the portland airport to corvallis? What's the fastest way to get there? I'm planning on taking a shuttle, but that takes over 2hrs and taking a taxi costs nearly like $180 one way. And I really don't want to rent a car and drive myself to somewhere that's 90 miles away in unfamiliar territory with possible rain.

Members don't see this ad.

bja said:
I have a coming up interview at Oregon and I was wondering if anyone who has been there knows how long it takes to get from the portland airport to corvallis? What's the fastest way to get there? I'm planning on taking a shuttle, but that takes over 2hrs and taking a taxi costs nearly like $180 one way. And I really don't want to rent a car and drive myself to somewhere that's 90 miles away in unfamiliar territory with possible rain.

It's about an 1.5 hour depending on traffic. You need to take 205 south, merge to I5 south. Corvallis is exit 128, and OSU is within 15 minutes away.

Well, like it or not, driving yourself is the fastest way to get to OSU from PDX (Portland International Airport). It takes about an hour and a half, if you're going the speed limit, so you'd be saving about 45 minutes over the shuttle. As long as you pay attention to signs, getting to OSU is pretty easy and straightforward.

The only alternative I can think of is Greyhound, but the station is in downtown Portland, and it takes a while to get there from PDX.

I'd offer to pick you up, but I've got class! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
tt_vo503 said:
It's about an 1.5 hour depending on traffic. You need to take 205 south, merge to I5 south. Corvallis is exit 128, and OSU is within 15 minutes away.
Don't you mean Exit 228? You don't want to send bja to Roseburg, do you? :laugh:

tcid said:
Don't you mean Exit 228? You don't want to send bja to Roseburg, do you? :laugh:
ya...my bad 228..

tcid said:
ya...my bad 228.. :D ...but definetly renting the car is the best way to go, cheapest and fastest..i think the rain really doesn't matter much, because if one follows the speed limit, then the fastest one would be going is 65..and i also recommend getting directions from mapquest..although they have let me down the last couple of times..giving me the longer route...neways..good luck on the interview bja.. ;)

tt_vo503 said:
ya...my bad 228.. :D ...but definetly renting the car is the best way to go, cheapest and fastest..i think the rain really doesn't matter much, because if one follows the speed limit, then the fastest one would be going is 65..and i also recommend getting directions from mapquest..although they have let me down the last couple of times..giving me the longer route...neways..good luck on the interview bja.. ;)

Thank you for the advice! One more question - is parking hard to find?

See http://oregonstate.edu/cw_tools/cam...terY=1858&pBN=&BN=Pharmacy+Building&L[]=6&Z=4

After you get off I-5, follow the signs to OSU Main Campus (not the stadium) and you'll eventually wind up on Jefferson Street. There will be a little information booth on the right side just before you get into campus, and they should be very helpful.

But in case they're not, there is a large area of parking around the corner of 15th St and Washington Ave which I think is your best bet that's close to the Pharmacy Building, about a 3 minute walk. It's fairly full, but I don't think it's ever been completely full, except during football games. There's a pay station in the middle by Washington (purple star on the lower right of the map above), and it's $1 per hour or $5 for the whole day.

If that's full, the parking structure is actually finished now, and there's plenty of space there, but it'll be a 10 minute walk. There's no pay station there, so you'll still have to go get a permit. Lastly, there's free parking available at the gravel lot (not the paved areas) at the stadium, so you would follow the signs to the OSU Reser Stadium instead of the Main Campus. There's a free OSU shuttle that will take you from there to where you need to go. Just wait for the East shuttle (they should come around every 15 minutes) and tell the driver you need to get to the Pharmacy Building. They'll let you off across from the big 6 story Valley Library, and if you walk halfway towards the clock tower, you'll see a building that says 'Pharmacy' to your right.

I'll bet this was way too much info for you, huh? Just shows how bored I am with studying. Good luck at your interview!

tcid said:
See http://oregonstate.edu/cw_tools/cam...terY=1858&pBN=&BN=Pharmacy+Building&L[]=6&Z=4

After you get off I-5, follow the signs to OSU Main Campus (not the stadium) and you'll eventually wind up on Jefferson Street. There will be a little information booth on the right side just before you get into campus, and they should be very helpful.

But in case they're not, there is a large area of parking around the corner of 15th St and Washington Ave which I think is your best bet that's close to the Pharmacy Building, about a 3 minute walk. It's fairly full, but I don't think it's ever been completely full, except during football games. There's a pay station in the middle by Washington (purple star on the lower right of the map above), and it's $1 per hour or $5 for the whole day.

If that's full, the parking structure is actually finished now, and there's plenty of space there, but it'll be a 10 minute walk. There's no pay station there, so you'll still have to go get a permit. Lastly, there's free parking available at the gravel lot (not the paved areas) at the stadium, so you would follow the signs to the OSU Reser Stadium instead of the Main Campus. There's a free OSU shuttle that will take you from there to where you need to go. Just wait for the East shuttle (they should come around every 15 minutes) and tell the driver you need to get to the Pharmacy Building. They'll let you off across from the big 6 story Valley Library, and if you walk halfway towards the clock tower, you'll see a building that says 'Pharmacy' to your right.

I'll bet this was way too much info for you, huh? Just shows how bored I am with studying. Good luck at your interview!

Tcid, you have been very helpful! I'd much rather have too much info than too little. Thank you!!