OSU (OOS) vs. UDM (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predent724

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
School 1: The Ohio State University
OOS
Pros:
  • great camaraderie between students
  • can apply for in state residency after D1 year
  • emphasized their support in helping students find externships in their D3/D4 years
Cons:
  • OOS, ~4 hrs away
School 2: University of Detroit Mercy
IS (I know it doesn't matter because it is a private school but for location/distance purposes)
Pros:
  • close to home (~30 minute drive)
  • strong clinical experience
  • would commute
Cons:
  • hearing a lot of mixed reviews of school
Summary: Both of the schools would cost around the same for me, counting on if I were to get IS tuition after the first year at OSU and if I were to commute from UDM. ** I am very interested in specializing **

Members don't see this ad.

School 1: The Ohio State University
OOS
Pros:
  • great camaraderie between students
  • can apply for in state residency after D1 year
  • emphasized their support in helping students find externships in their D3/D4 years
Cons:
  • OOS, ~4 hrs away
School 2: University of Detroit Mercy
IS (I know it doesn't matter because it is a private school but for location/distance purposes)
Pros:
  • close to home (~30 minute drive)
  • strong clinical experience
  • would commute
Cons:
  • hearing a lot of mixed reviews of school
Summary: Both of the schools would cost around the same for me, counting on if I were to get IS tuition after the first year at OSU and if I were to commute from UDM. ** I am very interested in specializing **
defs OSU...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of UDM students who commute to classes, considering the neighborhood where the clinic is located. In contrast, OSU's main dental clinic I think is still in the middle of their Columbus campus and was recently renovated.

Just don't root for TTUN (The Team Up North) during appropriate rivalry weeks if you go to Ohio State. :)

Reactions: 1 user