OSU vs. Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocolatelove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is so hard. Many of my points are based on assumptions and impressions. Ugh. Help!

OSU
pros:
-better ranked (31 vs. 45), more prestige.
-cheaper (Ohio resident reclassification possible & Columbus living expenses)
-newer curriculum with early clinical exposure
-students seem chiller and fun to be with
-first time in Columbus and Midwest! Though it can go good or bad, I count new experiences as a plus.

cons:
-far from family and friends (east coast)
-10 students to a cadaver(?)
-most students stay in Ohio / Midwest for residency, but I want to come back to the East Coast. Unsure how this'll affect my future, but my boyfriend works in NYC so there is a lot of insecurity between us over this issue.
-a lot of busy work and surveys, according to students

Georgetown
pros:
-close to family and friends
-better residency match to top East Coast programs
-familiar place, not as much of an adjustment
-cura personalis philosophy

cons:
-volunteering is required
-competitive atmosphere(?)
-familiar with DC already, and though it's a great place for young people, I don't know if I'll enjoy it.
-facilities

Overall, I am 60:40 for Ohio State for its reputation, curriculum, cost. But Georgetown still wins big in geographical location and East Coast matching. Ugh.

Members don't see this ad.

Ohio State (coming from an Ohio resident who wished OSU gave him an II). It is a better school and you will not be limited to matching on the east coast if you want to. Columbus is an awesome city and it will be overall cheaper (CoL in Columbus >> DC) than georgetown since you can get IS tuition.

I guess the only factor is the whole thing with your boyfriend in NYC. I can't really comment on how important that is or how being ~8-9 hour drive away would change your relationship.

Honestly, OSU is ranked higher but there is MAJOR prestige w/ Georgetown. I've talked to several people who have graduated there (recently and in years past) who have gone on to very successful residencies/fellowships/etc. (Duke, John's Hopkins, UNC, UCLA, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, etc.). Also, if you went to undergrad or are originally from the midwest, it makes leaving the midwest for residency a lot harder (as you mentioned) because people from the midwest don't tend to leave the midwest (according to current residents I've talked to in Ohio). Honestly, if you're looking to go back to the east coast, definitely look at Georgetown more because this will help you out more when applying to residency (also the opportunity to do sub-I's on the east coast will be a lot easier if you go to Georgetown). I love OSU (current undergrad lol) and it is an amazing school but I am also struggling with wanting to do residency on the east coast and choosing between a school in the midwest in a school in Pennsylvania (not quite "east coast" but not "midwest" either :)

Good luck! Both are great schools!

Honestly, OSU is ranked higher but there is MAJOR prestige w/ Georgetown. I've talked to several people who have graduated there (recently and in years past) who have gone on to very successful residencies/fellowships/etc. (Duke, John's Hopkins, UNC, UCLA, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, etc.). Also, if you went to undergrad or are originally from the midwest, it makes leaving the midwest for residency a lot harder (as you mentioned) because people from the midwest don't tend to leave the midwest (according to current residents I've talked to in Ohio). Honestly, if you're looking to go back to the east coast, definitely look at Georgetown more because this will help you out more when applying to residency (also the opportunity to do sub-I's on the east coast will be a lot easier if you go to Georgetown). I love OSU (current undergrad lol) and it is an amazing school but I am also struggling with wanting to do residency on the east coast and choosing between a school in the midwest in a school in Pennsylvania (not quite "east coast" but not "midwest" either :)

Good luck! Both are great schools!
Thanks!