General Admissions & OTCAS OT 2014-2015 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PittGirl24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I though it would be helpful for those who applied to post their stats and the schools they are applying to.

University of Pittsburgh
Major: Psychology
Minors: Sociology & Social Work
GPA: 3.35
Last 60 credits: 3.78
Pre Req- 3.5-3.8 depending on program
GRE: 148 verbal 150 quant 4.5 writing
OTCAS verified on September 26

OT Volunteering: ~ 60 hours in Rehab unit on stroke floor and an inpatient rehab unit in a nursing home
I have over 1000 volunteering hours outside of OT
Work Experience: 500+ hours as a student nursing assistant at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic. CPR & First Aid certified.
300+ hours tutoring inner city youth in reading and phonics
Recommendation letters: OT, Work Supervisor, A&P professor

Applied to: Pitt, Chatham, Towson, Shenandoah, Thomas Jefferson, Murphy Deming & Salus University
Accepted: Salus (11/14) Murphy Deming (11/21)
Waitlisted: Shenandoah
Rejected: Thomas Jefferson, University of Pittsburgh
Interviews: Salus (11/6) Murphy Deming (11/15) Chatham (denied interview)

I am attending Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
University of Pitt-Greensburg
Major- Biology
Minor- Psychology
GPA- 3.57
Last 60 Credit GPA- 3.71
Prereq GPA- 3.8-4.0 depending on the school.
GRE- verbal- 146 quantitative- 145 writing-4.0 (wish I would've had time to retake this :( )
Application verified- September 24, 2014
OT shadowing- Nursing home- 28, Special Needs School- 65, Hand therapy- 16.
*I also job shadowed a chiropractor performing therapeutic services for 12 hours.*
Work experience- 255 hours as a personal care assistant at a nursing home. 370 hours of babysitting a boy with special needs.
Volunteer experience- I volunteered in a variety of settings but only a couple hours here and there. I don't have very much.
Extras- I am a Teaching Assistant for an Anatomy lab. I am CPR certified and also have a mental health first aid certificate. I have been conducting research under a professor, as well. I am also completing a bachelors in biology and a minor in psychology in 3 years rather than the typical 4.
References- one from my work supervisor at the nursing home, one from my A&P/Microbiology professor (who I TA for also), and two from the OTs I shadowed.
Applied to- pitt, chatham, duquesne, salus, university of the sciences, shenandoah, and Towson.
Accepted- Shenandoah (11/20), Chatham (11/26), USciences (12/22)
Interviews- salus, Chatham
Rejected- duquesne (they aren't accepting applications for spring 2016. The class is already full due to their freshman guarantee,) Pitt

Attending Chatham!! So excited :)

Last edited:
Hi!! Thanks for starting this! I've been looking forward to talking to people applying for 2014-2015.

Overall GPA:3.2
Last 60 credits: 3.45
Pre req GPA: 3.7- 3.85
MAT score: 401/ 62nd percentile
OTCAS verification: sept 24th.
OTCAS Observation hrs: over 100 hrs at a hand clinic, cancer center, elementary school, and lymphedema clinic.
500+ hrs of non-OT related volunteer work.
Work Experience:
1000+ hrs of TSS work in school and home settings. (One on one support for special needs children)
1000+ hrs with geriatrics as a home health aide.
Recommendation Letters: special needs teacher (supervisor), OT, and A&P 1 professor.

Applied to: Thomas Jefferson, Salus, Temple, Usciences, Philadelphia U, Jefferson college of health sciences (Virginia), Midwestern U

Interviews:
Thomas Jefferson (12/22)
Jefferson college of health sciences (1/23) (declined interview)

Acceptances:
University of the Sciences (11/14)
Thomas Jefferson: (01/08)

Rejections: Temple (11/4)

Attending Thomas Jefferson!! :) :) :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Small, private, liberal arts college in PA
GPA: 3.60
Last 60 Credit GPA: 3.7
Prereq GPA: 3.6-3.8 (Depending on the school)
GRE: verbal = 156 quantitative = 151 writing = 4.0
Application verified: Not yet :cool:
OT shadowing: Pediatric Rehabilitation Clinic - 16 hrs, Certified Hand Therapist - 60 hours
Work experience: 480 hours as a Psychiatric Rehabilitation Program Assistant
Volunteer experience: Multiple service trips to South America (400 hrs), Mentor for at-risk-youth (80 hrs)
Extras: Student athlete (2 yr captain), President of Colleges Against Cancer, Student Ambassador (give tours to perspective students), conducted non-experimental research throughout coursework
References: OT, advisor, supervisor
Applied to: Chatham, Virginia Commonwealth, Colorado State, Ohio State, East Carolina...possibly one or two more :thinking:

I toured East Carolina this summer and I fell in love with it! Definitely my top choice.

I must say, I am absolutely terrified that I am not going to get accepted into any programs. It is by far my biggest fear.

Best of luck to everyone!

Pennsylvania State University- Main Campus
Major- Rehabilitation and Human Services
Minor- Psychology and Deafness & Hearing in Society
GPA- 3.63
Last 60 Credit GPA- 3.92
Prereq GPA- still completing 2 prereqs (anatomy and physiology :/)
GRE- verbal- 153 quantitative- 148 writing-4.0
Application verified- October 3, 2014
OT shadowing- Nursing home- 50, Acute Rehab- 12
Work experience- 520 hours Community Help Center Intern, 300 hours Penn State Group Fitness Instructor
Volunteer experience- 310 hours Crisis Hotline Counselor, 30 hours mentor to students with special needs, 220 hours PSU IFC/Panhellenic Dance Marathon
Extras- Delta Gamma VP of Panhellenic 2012-2013, Research Assistant 2 years
References- OT I shadowed, professor, and Advisor
Applied to- Boston, Midwestern, Pitt, University of Illinois-Chicago, Winston-Salem, Salus, Musc
Accepted-
Interviews-

Rejected-

Hey everyone. I though it would be helpful for those who applied to post their stats and the schools they are applying to.

University of Pittsburgh

OT Volunteering: ~ 60 hours in Rehab unit on stroke floor and an inpatient rehab unit in a nursing home
Work Experience: 500+ hours as a student nursing assistant at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic. CPR & First Aid certified.

Applied to: Pitt, Chatham, Towson, Shenandoah, Thomas Jefferson & Salus University

Towson is my first choice, but I heard it's hard to get into if you are out of state. :(

Did you apply to Towson early admission? Do you know what the application process for early admission is like?

No I didn't. :( I wish I could have but I don't have all the prerequisite courses complete. I'm not exactly sure what the admission process is like but I heard they only take 10 from early admission.

University of Tennessee Knoxville
GPA: 3.86
Prerequ GPA: 4.0 (still missing chemistry for one school)
GRE:Verbal -159 Quantitative - 156 Writing: 4.0
OTCAS: Submitted September 28. Waiting for verification.
OT Shadowing: 20 Pediatric, 30 Rehabilitation clinic, 20 Hospital
Work experience: Food service. Currently a server in an assisted living facility
Volunteer: Big Brothers Big Sisters
Extras: Phi Beta Kappa
References: 2 OT, 1 professor
Applied/Applying: Tennessee State University, University of Tennessee Memphis, and Alabama State University

I REALLY want to get in, but I keep trying to remind myself it isn't the end of the world if I don't. I don't want to spend nearly the next year with my stomach in knots.

I REALLY want to get in, but I keep trying to remind myself it isn't the end of the world if I don't. I don't want to spend nearly the next year with my stomach in knots.

Wait, so they won't tell you until next summer if you got in or not?

Wait, so they won't tell you until next summer if you got in or not?
UT Memphis's application due date isn't until March 1st, sooo I won't know until summer for them. But Tennessee State University supposedly sends acceptances in February! *fingers crossed*

Hi!! Thanks for starting this! I've been looking forward to talking to people applying for 2014-2015.

West Chester University-PA
Overall GPA:3.2
Last 60 credits: 3.45
Pre req GPA: 3.7- 3.85
MAT score: 401/ 62nd percentile
OTCAS verification: sept 24th.
OTCAS Observation hrs: over 100 hrs at a hand clinic, cancer center, elementary school, and lymphedema clinic.
500+ hrs of non-OT related volunteer work.
Work Experience:
1000+ hrs of TSS work in school and home settings. (One on one support for special needs children)
1000+ hrs with geriatrics as a home health aide.
Recommendation Letters: special needs teacher (supervisor), OT, and A&P 1 professor.

Applied to: Thomas Jefferson, Salus, Temple, Usciences, and Philadelphia U.
Im working on adding Kean U, and Seton Hall to the list. maybe even a few New York schools.

Top schools are Jefferson and Salus.

I'm hoping my experiences, letters, statement, and extra curriculars will make up for my not so competitive GPA!

Have you heard from Temple yet? I am afraid to officially submit to them because they are rolling and I am worried I would have to commit before I heard back from other schools. Does anyone know if you can pay the security deposit and then change your mind later without any financial penalties..I know some schools require you pay a semester of tuition...

Virginia Tech
B.S. Psychology; B.S. Human Development
GPA: 3.62
Last 90 hours: 3.95
Pre-req: 4.0
GRE: Verbal: 155; Quant: 156; AW: 4.5
OTCAS Submitted 9/24 - awaiting verification
OT Observation:
8 Hours in a Pediatric Outpatient Hospital Setting
40 Hours in an Adult Acute Inpatient Hospital Setting
90 Hours at a Private Pediatric Facility (included Handwriting camps, constraint camps, and social groups)
48 Hours in a SNF/Rehab center

360 hours as a crisis hotline volunteer; 4 year member of a service sorority; 2 years research experience with multiple authorships at conferences; served as a teaching assistant; leadership in several organizations.

Applying to: VCU, Towson, Ohio State, Temple, JMU, Howard, maybe CSU

Have you heard from Temple yet? I am afraid to officially submit to them because they are rolling and I am worried I would have to commit before I heard back from other schools. Does anyone know if you can pay the security deposit and then change your mind later without any financial penalties..I know some schools require you pay a semester of tuition...

Rolling admissions means the longer you wait to submit your application, the less of a chance you have of being accepted. Therefore, if you are interested in Temple or any other rolling admissions schools, you should apply ASAP. If last year is any indication, you most likely won't hear back from Temple for many months. There is no additional financial penalty other than losing your deposit. Its an unfortunate necessity if you want to be sure you have a spot while waiting to hear back from other schools, and most people aren't willing to risk not sending the deposit and possibly having to reapply next year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Yes apply to Temple now if you are interested! It's a deposit of $300 I believe. I was verified Sept. 19th for rolling admissions there and didn't hear anything until mid January.

Also a side note: good luck to everyone applying to TJU! It's a wonderful school and I could not be happier with the program. :)

University of Pittsburgh

Applied to: Pitt, Chatham, Towson, Shenandoah, Thomas Jefferson, Murphy Deming & Salus University
Accepted:
Rejected:
Interviews: Salus (11/6) Murphy Deming (11/15) Chatham

Saw you are applying to Pitt? Is there any information anywhere about their early admissions? They have early admissions and rolling, but I can't find any information on whether there are eligibility requirements for early admissions. Aside from having anyone who submitted the day prior be reviewed before you, is there any difference between applying early admissions on Nov 1st and applying Nov 2nd?

I just wish Pitt put more information out on their site.

Hey! Yeah they have early admissions but no eligibility requirements you just have to have your application in by November 1st. I would assume that Pitt is a lot like Chatham where they look at early admissions applicants earlier than those who apply after November 1st. It can't hurt to apply early. :) Good Luck! Pitt is a great school!!

Hey! Yeah they have early admissions but no eligibility requirements you just have to have your application in by November 1st. I would assume that Pitt is a lot like Chatham where they look at early admissions applicants earlier than those who apply after November 1st. It can't hurt to apply early. :) Good Luck! Pitt is a great school!!

I'm wondering if you are accepted for early admissions if you are committed to accepting. I really dislike the different terminology - technically early decision is binding and early admission usually just means early review and earlier notice. However, some schools use early admissions and early decision interchangeably. Pitt is a great school, but my number 1 is an in-state school for me :\

Rutgers University
Major: Exercise Science
Minors: Sociology
GPA: 3.87
GRE: 158 verbal 159 quant 5.0 writing
OTCAS submitted on October 15

OT Volunteering: ~ 35 hours in a hand therapy clinic, ~ 35 hours (so far) in pediatric hippotherapy, many hours volunteering outside of OT in other health-related areas
Work Experience: >1000 hours as a research assistant working with clinical populations and in health and wellness. CPR & First Aid certified.
Recommendation letters: OT, Work Supervisor, Research Advisor/Professor

Applied to via OTCAS: Stockton (hoping I make the deadline!), University of the Sciences, Pitt, Chatham, Towson, WUSTL, VCU, UW-Madison
Applied/Applying to (non-OTCAS): SUNY Downstate, JMU, Kean, Seton Hall

Last edited:
I go to a public university in Texas!

Minor: Women's and Gender Studies
OTCAS GPA: 3.50
Prerequisite GPA: 3.56 - 3.80 (depending on the school)
GRE: N/A
OT Shadowing: about 55 hours in two different pediatric settings
Work experience: I've worked for my university's orientation program for the past three years.
Extra-curriculars: Psi Chi; I also act in a program that stresses the importance of sexual consent.
References: Work supervisor, psychology professor, and my acting director
Applied: UTMB, TWU, NYU, D'Youville College, Springfield College, Creighton University

I'm so excited to see where everyone ends up!

After three years of lurking on the SDN student forums I can finally post on one of these threads!

School: Smaller SUNY school, Class of 2010
Major: English Literature
GPA: 3.2
Pre-requisite GPA: 4.0
GRE: n/A
OT Shadowing: Nursing home, outpatient clinic and early learning center for children with developmental disabilities
Work experience: Over 5 years of working in a inter-generational model of community building in the NYC area. I've done A LOT at this job.
References: Director of my job, A&P Professor, Program Director of a health foundation
Extra-curriculars: Develop and conduct basic computer classes for seniors and mono lingual Spanish speakers, arts and crafts for all ages (I've done this for the last 5 years)
Applied: NYU, Columbia and SUNY Downstate

I'm going to be 27 in a month and I really hope that I get into one of these school this year. I would love more than ANYTHING to get into Downstate. Their program is in my community, affordable and very, very good. I am afraid that my crappy undegraduate GPA will hurt me a great deal. I have changed SO much as person and as a student. This process of getting my pre-requisites and volunteer hours while working full time at a very demanding job gave me the confidence to realize that I could do OT school.

I may not personally know anyone on the OTD forums but I want to thank you for your posts. This process has been hell and coming here reminds me that I am not alone.

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone heard anything from their schools yet?

University: George Mason University
Overall GPA: 3.44
Pre-Req GPA: 3.85
GRE: Q155 V153 A 4.0

Extra-Curric: Athletic instructor for kids, Volunteer firefighter, worked with special needs girl and played a bunch of sports + a whole bunch of jobs.
Volunteer: 32 hours at Walter Reed working inpatient and outpatient. 28 hours at a children's clinic

Applied: VCU, USC, University of Florida, Mary Baldwin, Long Island University - Brooklyn, University of the Sciences, Towson University

Acceptances: None yet

Rejections: None yet

Interviews: None yet

What do you guys think my chances are?

Last edited:
University: George Mason University
Overall GPA: 3.44
Pre-Req GPA: 3.85
GRE: Q155 V153 A (Still waiting)

Extra-Curric: Athletic instructor for kids, Volunteer firefighter, worked with special needs girl and played a bunch of sports + a whole bunch of jobs.
Volunteer: 32 hours at Walter Reed working inpatient and outpatient. 28 hours at a children's clinic

Applied: VCU, USC, University of Florida, Mary Baldwin, Long Island University - Brooklyn, University of the Sciences, Towson University

Acceptances: None yet

Rejections: None yet

Interviews: None yet

What do you guys think my chances are?

Your stats look good! I think you will have a good chance of getting in. Is your application verified by OTCAS?

Has anyone heard anything from their schools yet?

I was notified of my acceptance to VCU on 11/20. As for other schools nothing yet. I will be withdrawing my other applications once I receive my official acceptance and can accept the offer at VCU though.

Your stats look good! I think you will have a good chance of getting in. Is your application verified by OTCAS?

I just got verified today! Which is weird because I submitted my application on Friday (11/28). I was under the impression it took at least 2-3 weeks. Not complaining but that is really weird lol.

I was notified of my acceptance to VCU on 11/20. As for other schools nothing yet. I will be withdrawing my other applications once I receive my official acceptance and can accept the offer at VCU though.

Congratulations!!!!

I just got verified today! Which is weird because I submitted my application on Friday (11/28). I was under the impression it took at least 2-3 weeks. Not complaining but that is really weird lol.

Yes that is weird but definitely a good thing!! Mines took about two wks to be verified. I was accepted into U sciences on 11/14. They didn't take long at all to get back to me with a decision. I would keep in touch with Aimee from admissions about your app. She's really nice and helped me a lot.

Yes that is weird but definitely a good thing!! Mines took about two wks to be verified. I was accepted into U sciences on 11/14. They didn't take long at all to get back to me with a decision. I would keep in touch with Aimee from admissions about your app. She's really nice and helped me a lot.

Awesome, I'll keep that in mind and will probably be contacting some of the schools this week just to make sure they received everything they need. btw Congratulations on your acceptance!

Awesome, I'll keep that in mind and will probably be contacting some of the schools this week just to make sure they received everything they need. btw Congratulations on your acceptance!

Thanks! good luck!!!

has anyone heard anything from Temple or Jeff?

has anyone heard anything from Temple or Jeff?

I got a denial letter from temple in early November. I half expected it because I had a B- in intro to psych and they wanted a B. I thought they would let me slide since my bachelor's is in psych and I have a lot of other psych classes to choose from but I guess not!
I'm still waiting to hear from Jeff. I've heard from another thread that they've started interviewing.

Stats
School: University of Pittsburgh
Major: Rehabilitation Sciences
Certificate: Psycho-Social Issues in Rehabilitation and Personal Care
GRE- verbal- 157, quant-156, A- 4.5
Overall GPA: 3.7
Last 60: 3.95
Prereq: 3.7-4.0 ( depending on program)
Observation Hours: 200 in nursing home, 50 in hand therapy, 20 in Traumatic Brain Injury Clinic
OT related Hours: 120 in hospital school abroad for long term inpatients and children with developmental disorders and 200 hours in PT outpatient/ inpatient, also CPR and first aid certified
Work: 2.5 years as student worker on campus and babysitting
Applied- Temple, Pitt, Towson, Thomas Jefferson, University of the Sciences, PhillyU, Stockton, NYU, working on Kean
Interviews: Thomas Jefferson
Accepted: N/A
Rejections: N/A

Hope to hear soon! good luck to everyone else during this process!

Stats
School: University of Pittsburgh
Major: Rehabilitation Sciences
Certificate: Psycho-Social Issues in Rehabilitation and Personal Care
GRE- verbal- 157, quant-156, A- 4.5
Overall GPA: 3.7
Last 60: 3.95
Prereq: 3.7-4.0 ( depending on program)
Observation Hours: 200 in nursing home, 50 in hand therapy, 20 in Traumatic Brain Injury Clinic
OT related Hours: 120 in hospital school abroad for long term inpatients and children with developmental disorders and 200 hours in PT outpatient/ inpatient, also CPR and first aid certified
Work: 2.5 years as student worker on campus and babysitting
Applied- Temple, Pitt, Towson, Thomas Jefferson, University of the Sciences, PhillyU, Stockton, NYU, working on Kean
Interviews: Thomas Jefferson
Accepted: N/A
Rejections: N/A

Hope to hear soon! good luck to everyone else during this process!
When did you hear about your Jefferson interview?

Congratulations on your interview! You must be excited! How did they contact you? And when was your Otcas app verified?
Thanks! i'm very excited I would definitely go if I got in so fingers crossed. They contacted me through an email and I believe my OTCAS verified on September 22nd

Just got the invite for an interview with Jefferson!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone have an update on their status?

So far I've struck out three times and I'm starting to lose hope. Rejected by Belmont, deferred by Chatham and wait listed by Murphy Deming.

Crossing my fingers that I'll get off the wait list at Murphy Deming.

Hope everyone else is having better luck!

University of Tennessee Knoxville
GPA: 3.86
Prerequ GPA: 4.0 (still missing chemistry for one school)
GRE:Verbal -159 Quantitative - 156 Writing: 4.0
OTCAS: Submitted September 28. Waiting for verification.
OT Shadowing: 20 Pediatric, 30 Rehabilitation clinic, 20 Hospital
Work experience: Food service. Currently a server in an assisted living facility
Volunteer: Big Brothers Big Sisters
Extras: Phi Beta Kappa
References: 2 OT, 1 professor
Applied/Applying: Tennessee State University, University of Tennessee Memphis, and Alabama State University

Have you heard anything about an interview from TSU yet? I'm so anxious about it!

Has anyone (besides early decision) heard back from VCU?

Has anyone (besides early decision) heard back from VCU?
I got an email from them on Jan 8th for full acceptance. I submitted OTCAS on Nov 17th and my VCU app the day after Thanksgiving.

I got an email from them on Jan 8th for full acceptance. I submitted OTCAS on Nov 17th and my VCU app the day after Thanksgiving.

Awesome! Congrats! Will you be attending?

Awesome! Congrats! Will you be attending?
Thanks! I haven't decided yet. I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple other schools. Their program looks great though, and they put me in contact with a current student who has nothing but good things to say about it. Good luck! Hope you hear back soon.

I haven't decided yet. I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple other schools. Their program looks great though, and they put me in contact with a current student who has nothing but good things to say about it. Good luck! Hope you hear back soon.

Oh gotcha. Yeah it's my first choice and I'm getting nervous about it since I know people have already started hearing back and I still haven't. Would you mind sharing your stats?

Oh gotcha. Yeah it's my first choice and I'm getting nervous about it since I know people have already started hearing back and I still haven't. Would you mind sharing your stats?

Major: Health Care Administration
GPA: 3.61
Last 60 credits: 3.95
Pre Req- 3.5-4.0 depending on how it's calculated (had to retake one)
GRE: 165 V, 147 Q, 4.0 Writing

OT Volunteering: Approximately 150 hours across various settings with adults and peds
Work Experience: Worked for a couple years as a direct care provider with adults with developmental disabilities, as a CNA in a SNF, and currently as a rehab aid and a dialysis technician.
Relevant personal experience: Grew up with a family member who has a developmental disability and was involved in his care and therapies.
Recommendation letters: two OTs and a CNA professor

Applied to: CSU, Rush, VCU, Milligan, USD, and WSSU
Accepted: VCU (1/8), Rush (1/29)
Waitlisted: WSSU (2/13)
Rejected:
Interviews: Rush (1/9), Milligan (declined), USD (declined)

Last edited:
Thank you and good luck! whats your first choice?

Thank you. My first choice is CSU because for me it is in-state, #6, I like the way the program is set up with fieldwork throughout the program, and it is 45 minutes from my house. If money was not an issue Rush would be my first because of their involvement within the medical center and their clinical practicums as well as fieldworks.

Major: Health Care Administration
GPA: 3.61
Last 60 credits: 3.95
Pre Req- 3.5-4.0 depending on how it's calculated (had to retake one)
GRE: 165 V, 147 Q, 4.0 Writing

OT Volunteering: Approximately 150 hours across various settings with adults and peds
Work Experience: Worked for a couple years as a direct care provider with adults with developmental disabilities, as a CNA in a SNF, and currently as a rehab aid and a dialysis technician.
Relevant personal experience: Grew up with a family member who has a developmental disability and was involved in his care and therapies.
Recommendation letters: two OTs and a CNA professor

Applied to: CSU, Rush, VCU, Milligan, and WSSU
Accepted: VCU (1/8)
Rejected:
Interviews: Rush (1/9), Milligan (2/13 - declined)

When did you get an interview invitation from Milligan? Their staff told me they weren't doing interviews until the end of February.

When did you get an interview invitation from Milligan? Their staff told me they weren't doing interviews until the end of February.
They emailed me last week on the 13th with an invitation to interview on Feb 13th. Kristia also said they're holding interviews on the 27th of Feb. Hope this helps.

They emailed me last week on the 13th with an invitation to interview on Feb 13th. Kristia also said they're holding interviews on the 27th of Feb. Hope this helps.
It does, thank you!