OT: Androgenic Alopecia aKa Male Pattern Baldness Support Group

Started by Sparda29
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else here been afflicted by this condition? If so, have you embraced it, denied it, getting treatment for it? Optimally the best thing would be to get hair from the sides/back transplanted up top but its way too expensive.

In the meantime, should I just embrace it and go for the Jason Statham look?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been using generic minoxidil 5% for a few months now. Don't know if it's really helped, but now I'm too afraid to stop using it.

No one else in my family has male pattern baldness either...at least, not until their 50s. Affecting me in my early twenties is just horrible. I don't have a receding hairline, but rather the whole Friar Tuck thing, just forward of the vertex. Really strange, but bothers me way more than it should.

I feel your pain. Just makes me feel old and weird for no reason. I'm in complete denial doing what my budget can afford me. I thought I had better self-esteem than this.
 
i've noticed some thinning this past year, and maybe a bit of thinning in the back vertex area, i'm 26 and have a strong family history so it's probably only a matter of time. haven't used anything yet, but i've heard starting rogaine or propecia early is key. i'd rather just eventually get a hair transplant, a friend got one recently and it looks phenomenal. ( set him back 25k though. )
 
I hear Propecia has adverse sexual side effects and Rogaine works only on the back. IS that true? what I am starting to notice a bit of a receding hair line, anyone have any solution.. I tried Nioxin, it didn't do much...
 
Do straight girls (and gay guys) really care about that stuff? I mean, I guess I never thought balding looked bad.

I'm even married, and it still bothers me. I wouldn't care if I was 35-40 when it happened, but I feel like I'm getting ripped off. My head is huge and oddly shaped; I will not look good bald.
 
i've noticed some thinning this past year, and maybe a bit of thinning in the back vertex area, i'm 26 and have a strong family history so it's probably only a matter of time. haven't used anything yet, but i've heard starting rogaine or propecia early is key. i'd rather just eventually get a hair transplant, a friend got one recently and it looks phenomenal. ( set him back 25k though. )

Dood, you sure like our pharmacy forum. :laugh:
 
Do straight girls (and gay guys) really care about that stuff? I mean, I guess I never thought balding looked bad.

I care about my own hair loss:laugh:, I used minoxidl too, luckily it stopped once my stress level improved a bit.
 
In general less = more for men's hair (IMO). I like VERY short hair on almost all men or shaved heads on some men. That said...

It depends on where the balding is and how the guy reacts to it. My husband is a little thin on top. It doesn't bother me. My brother in law has the receding hairline thing. His forehead looks HUGE. :laugh:

Combovers = BAD. That swirly thing some guys do to hide a bald spot on top of the head looks ridiculous. I'd say "just shave it off," but some white guys look really stupid with bald heads. I guess it takes time for the scalp to look smooth and get a little tan. Until it does, I think it looks funny.
 
What I'm trying to figure out is, would a dermatologist prescribe Finasteride 5 mg generic instead of the Propecia which is 1 mg (indicated for androgenic alopecia), however giving instructions to cut the tablets in 1/5 if possible.

I wonder when Propecia is gonna go generic.

The other thing is, I'm getting hit with the receding hairline + thinning of the frontal area, not the vertex baldness that it treats mainly.
 
What I'm trying to figure out is, would a dermatologist prescribe Finasteride 5 mg generic instead of the Propecia which is 1 mg (indicated for androgenic alopecia), however giving instructions to cut the tablets in 1/5 if possible.

I wonder when Propecia is gonna go generic.

The other thing is, I'm getting hit with the receding hairline + thinning of the frontal area, not the vertex baldness that it treats mainly.

I've seen Finastride 5mg 1/4 of a tablet qd... it's darn hard to break a tablet in 5 equal pieces.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've never seen anything close to the sheer panic men express when going bald. My brother does it (going bald since 27ish), he will get beyond defensive if you make fun of him for it. It's a completely vain thing which no health or social consequences (aside form self imposed). Shave it all off, own it and move on.
 
On the bright side, you won't have the problem that my full, thick head of hair and boyish good looks have...people will actually look at you and think that you are the pharmacist. They look at me and just ask to talk to the pharmacist. Even when I'm obviously alone...at 2AM...and with a nametag that reads "pharmacist." We are in a profession where experience and maturity are seen as huge pluses to the general public. Instant cred, all y'all collective of baldies...instant cred. Dye your temples a shade of gray and you'll be even better off.
 
this made me lawl:

jZPcT.jpg
 
Been balding since 5th grade. (Yes...5th grade. ~10 years old).

In high school, I just decided to shave it all off. Been doing that ever since. It is a blessing and a curse.

Big pro: I don't have to worry about dealing with my hair before going to school or going out.

Cons: Gotta shave it every few days. Plus most ladies will choose hair over bald. (Had this conversation a few times, interestingly enough.)

All in all, being completely bald is better to me than the ridiculous looking combovers out there.
 
I hate shaving my face as it is, shaving my head every day would be horrible. I get away with the stubble look.

Someday when I have my loans paid off, and if I haven't come to grips with it if it gets bad enough, maybe I'll do some kind of replacement surgery. Seems too ridiculous to pay that much money for a non health issue though, don't think I could do it in good conscience.

Screw it, I'll get a long wig. Geddy Lee style.
 
I hate shaving my face as it is, shaving my head every day would be horrible. I get away with the stubble look.

Someday when I have my loans paid off, and if I haven't come to grips with it if it gets bad enough, maybe I'll do some kind of replacement surgery. Seems too ridiculous to pay that much money for a non health issue though, don't think I could do it in good conscience.

Screw it, I'll get a long wig. Geddy Lee style.

I think I'll do a Jason Statham kind of haircut.